Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trustworthy mechanic in Wellington?

Bike
    supersport

Trustworthy mechanic in Wellington?

Hi all

Looking for a trustworthy bike mechanic with a good reputation in Wellington region.

Any recommendations?

Ta

Bike
    Goose
    Can of worms = open!

Wellington Motorcycles
    TSS Red Baron
    Boyles

They would be my recommendations but everyone is going to have differing opinions. Where are you located in Wgtn?
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Good luck with your search.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by PossumMonkey View Post
    Hi all

Looking for a trustworthy bike mechanic with a good reputation in Wellington region.

Any recommendations?

Ta
    For what kinda work exactly?

Bike
    supersport
    Yea could go to just one of the major shops here (Red Baron, etc), but looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for mechanics outside of the obvious shops - should have been clearer. General impression of (car) mechanics in Wellington so far has been disappointing - full of BS, overcharging and fudged invoices - just trying to avoid this.

Can opened; worms run free!

Bike
    A
    Call me biased, but if you've got a Suzuki just go to Wellington Motorcycles. Set prices for services by the way.

I'd never suggest they're cheap, but definitely value for money. And I'm Dutch

The only alternative is buy the manual and do the work yourself.

Bike
    None any more
    One presumes from a question worded like this that the original poster is smart enough to know that motorcycle shops have workshops staffed with qualified mechanics and whose activities are managed by some quality control system or other. One presumes that the OP has a prejudice against what they think are inflated franchise workshop prices and wants some El Cheapo deal done.

If people think that hiring a professional is expensive they may be surprised when they hire an amateur.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    One presumes from a question worded like this that the original poster is smart enough to know that motorcycle shops have workshops staffed with qualified mechanics and whose activities are managed by some quality control system or other. One presumes that the OP has a prejudice against what they think are inflated franchise workshop prices and wants some El Cheapo deal done.

If people think that hiring a professional is expensive they may be surprised when they hire an amateur.
    There are also fuckwits that are supposed to be professionals, which are hard to avoid without asking round.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    There are also fuckwits that are supposed to be professionals, which are hard to avoid without asking round.
    Yes but it the fuckwits fuck it up you can go back the workshop and they will rectify it, not so back yard professionals

Bike
    2006 Honda Hornet
    Garth at Independent Motorcycles. It's his own company, and he contracted for Motorad for a while. He's about as honest as they come, and knows his trade.

Bike
    supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by speeding_ant View Post
    Garth at Independent Motorcycles. It's his own company, and he contracted for Motorad for a while. He's about as honest as they come, and knows his trade.
    Sweet, thanks.

Bike
    supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Yes but it the fuckwits fuck it up you can go back the workshop and they will rectify it, not so back yard professionals
    that's a sad assumption that mechanics without a shiny retail front are 'back yard professionals'.

Bike
    Superduke 990
    I use Motorad, have never had any problems with them (although parts supplier in Auckland is another story). They charge $80/hour labour - be interested to hear what others are charging.

Independent Motorcycles sounds like a good option.

WELLINGTON: Tag-o-rama

Bike
    05' Zx6r
    Bro if you want HONESTY and GOOD PRICE go to richards motorcycles in jville he is a serious good cunt and will sort you out

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post

Except you never know who's working on your bike, often the boy. I've had brake bolts fall out the day after in a large franchised dealer. I'd prefer an older hand that has gone out on his own after some decent training.

Actually Richard (Richards Jville) fits that bill. Grumpy exterior, but a good decent honest bloke underneath.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information