Thread: GN250 wont start/hold idle when hot

Bike
    Suzuki GN250

GN250 wont start/hold idle when hot

Hi guys, just moved over to NZ and been slyly reading the forum for a while now, but this is my first post and unfortunately its a bit of a cry for help.

Just picked up a 2004 GN250 which on the whole runs well and is in fairly decent shape, less some amerurish seat and light mods.....carbon fibre tape anyone?! Only problem I've been having with it is that it will not hold an idle or even start up once the engine is hot. Example - just took it out for a quick ride around 2km and when pulling back into the driveway with the clutch in, the bike will just sputter and cut out. Trying to restart it again until it has cooled down is a waste of time. If im lucky it'll start up, roughly idle at around 13-1500 for a few seconds then sputter out.

Now I know zero about bike mechanics but here is some background info on the bike that may help. Not been used in a year (last owner cancelled rego as wasn't being used). Zero oil in the bike when i first picked it up (wasn't ridden like that). Last owner said he's done a carb/filter clean as well as adjusting brakes/clutch. I've tried adjusting the idle screw myself to higher, but this doesnt help at all when the bike is hot. Bike seems perhaps overly hot....smells quite strongly when stopped. Full tank of 98 and I've filled it up with the best quality motorbike specific oil I could get my hands on at the time. One last thing, with the choke pulled out, the bike wont start up at all regardless of how hot/cold the engine is. The starter will just tick over but never ignite.

Any help is much appreciated as I'm quite keen to get my hands dirty and learn a bit about maintenance, rather than taking it straight to a mechanic. Only bought the bike for a few hundred, but will need a few lights and cosmetic things to get her re-registered. I've just ordered all that stuff so hopefully the engine isn't rooted now before they even arrive!

If it does come down to a mechanic then I'm open to recommendations in auckland, north shore as close to Takapuna as possible!

Cheers, Callum

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    the last guy fucked it. Go punch him in the dick.

Then do a search, cos whining about fucked gns happens quite often, and there is fuckall that actually can be wrong.

Maybe get togethr with bosslady and have a cry together, eat sushi at the beach and see where it goes...

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by clum View Post
    Hi guys, just moved over to NZ and been slyly reading the forum for a while now, but this is my first post and unfortunately its a bit of a cry for help.

Just picked up a 2004 GN250 which on the whole runs well and is in fairly decent shape, less some amerurish seat and light mods.....carbon fibre tape anyone?! Only problem I've been having with it is that it will not hold an idle or even start up once the engine is hot. Example - just took it out for a quick ride around 2km and when pulling back into the driveway with the clutch in, the bike will just sputter and cut out. Trying to restart it again until it has cooled down is a waste of time. If im lucky it'll start up, roughly idle at around 13-1500 for a few seconds then sputter out.

Now I know zero about bike mechanics but here is some background info on the bike that may help. Not been used in a year (last owner cancelled rego as wasn't being used). Zero oil in the bike when i first picked it up (wasn't ridden like that). Last owner said he's done a carb/filter clean as well as adjusting brakes/clutch. I've tried adjusting the idle screw myself to higher, but this doesnt help at all when the bike is hot. Bike seems perhaps overly hot....smells quite strongly when stopped. Full tank of 98 and I've filled it up with the best quality motorbike specific oil I could get my hands on at the time. One last thing, with the choke pulled out, the bike wont start up at all regardless of how hot/cold the engine is. The starter will just tick over but never ignite.

Any help is much appreciated as I'm quite keen to get my hands dirty and learn a bit about maintenance, rather than taking it straight to a mechanic. Only bought the bike for a few hundred, but will need a few lights and cosmetic things to get her re-registered. I've just ordered all that stuff so hopefully the engine isn't rooted now before they even arrive!

If it does come down to a mechanic then I'm open to recommendations in auckland, north shore as close to Takapuna as possible!

Cheers, Callum
    he first thing that you need to do is to work out if it is a fuel problem or spark problem, get a spare plug go for a ride round the block (small block so it will be easy to push home if the worst happens, or you could just leave it running in the drive till it stops) till it's hot and cuts out take the spark plug cap off fit the spare plug hold it to the head and check for spark. if there is no spark start looking at cdi connections or pulse coils feeding the cdi, or a faulty cdi these can all be affected by heat. If there is spark it will be a fuel issue, and what did the last guy do to the carb is it assembled wrong?

Thread Information