Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: North Island invasion of the South?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Do port underwood road from Picton to Blenheim - great road. The 'shortcut' or forgotten highway from the top above hakahaka bay may still be open.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Do port underwood road from Picton to Blenheim - great road. The 'shortcut' or forgotten highway from the top above hakahaka bay may still be open.
    Port Underwood is good and is an option, though is quite a lot longer time wise. I can't remember exactly how long it takes through there?

I don't want to be rushing through the Molesworth so it will depend on timing.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Went into there last weekend and the road had been freshly graded, so was a little... umm.... sketchy. So sketchy we came home with the front bumper of the Suzi in the boat I wasn' driving at the time

Bike
    orange 9fiddy&4fiddy
    this sounds good,is it 950adv friendly?....of course if i dont ruin myself at tussock i could be keen

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by michael e View Post
    this sounds good,is it 950adv friendly?....of course if i dont ruin myself at tussock i could be keen
    It's all been done before on big bikes, most of it is easy gravel 4x4 roads. The worst bit is probably the downhill from the top of Porika to Lake Rotoroa which is pretty steep and can be a bit loose.

Here's some footage I took last time, this is all Waitahu River and Soldiers Road/Big River.

Watching this has reminded me the last invasion was at the same time of year, only a weeks difference in fact. There was snow on the ground in places at altitude so it might be a little cool.
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Nice, that's quite a good video, don't remember watching it before.
    Now if only you can hold the camera steady.
    It was cold though so that may not have helped.

If I can't lean on or against something then I usually crouch down on one knee or sit and/or hold my arms in to my body when recording and especially if zooming... and do not squeeze the camera. Just trying to be helpful.

Kind of thinking about this ride myself, be a lot closer to the time before I decide.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    DR650
    I'm in for Friday/Saturday, have something to go to in Nelson Saturday night but will play it by ear after Rainbow. Gravel may tempt me for more gravel

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    WooHoo! Ferries booked.

I'm on the 8am sailing on Friday 30th March, arriving in Picton at 11:30am.

Return sailing is at 7pm on Monday 2nd April, arriving back in Wellington at 10:30pm.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    WooHoo! Ferries booked.

I'm on the 8am sailing on Friday 30th March, arriving in Picton at 11:30am.

Return sailing is at 7pm on Monday 2nd April, arriving back in Wellington at 10:30pm.
    is that easter weekend?

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    It's all been done before on big bikes, most of it is easy gravel 4x4 roads. The worst bit is probably the downhill from the top of Porika to Lake Rotoroa which is pretty steep and can be a bit loose.
    that section was good a couple weeks back..lose but enough firm rocks
    for brakeing...only 100m long... the rest coming down was all good...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    DRZ400E
    On your vid Eddie, at 4.00mins the guy on Africa Twin has it sussed for the rock sections on the Waitahu (he would have made it in one swoop if the other bike wasn't there). It is soooo much easier hitting those boulder sections with a bit of momentum up on the pegs, with low tyre pressures you just shuffle across the top of the rocks quick smart and surprisingly easily. Going slow can make it a prick of a job, often a wheel will end up in a crap position then the wheel spinning, pushing and sweating takes place!

Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    that section was good a couple weeks back..lose but enough firm rocks
    for brakeing...only 100m long... the rest coming down was all good...
    +1 Pete, I also did it 2 weeks ago as part of a return route from Karamea > Rainbow > Chch and its in good condition, the steep gradient and loose rocks are just part of the tracks makeup, character and appeal

Gutted I can't join you boys and girls but I am committed to a fishing trip I have booked, hope you all have a blast!

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    Am off thru the Molesworth on the 17 th of this month and back thru the Rainbow next day after a night in Syt Arnauds.......

Bike
    F800GS
    Is it o.k. if I hook up for the Sunday ? I only have one day weekends now Will probly ride to Murch early in the morn and head home after Soldiers/Waitahu

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Is it o.k. if I hook up for the Sunday ? I only have one day weekends now Will probly ride to Murch early in the morn and head home after Soldiers/Waitahu
    Yep all good, part timers welcome.

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    On your vid Eddie, at 4.00mins the guy on Africa Twin has it sussed for the rock sections on the Waitahu
    ahem....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1982.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	344.8 KB 
ID:	259140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1986.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	326.1 KB 
ID:	259141
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Thread Information