Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda CrossTourer

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Oh look... a GS going through a river... (don't bother with the last bit of the video...)
    Musta missed that bit on our route...

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    Found this comparison of big adventure bikes in motorcyclenews.com (UK)... The Honda is the fatty of the group

Make Price Power Tank size Weight
    Triumph Explorer 1200 £11,149 135bhp 20 litres 259kg
    BMW R1200GS ABS £12,524 110bhp 20 litres 229kg Benchmark boxer now starting to show age but still sets the standard for versatility
    Ducati 1200 Multistrada £12,524 150bhp 20 litres 220kg Performance and electronics brings true sports potential to class - but at a price
    Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer £11,475 127bhp 21.5 litres 275kg New VFR1200-derived V4 is big and heavy but brings classy touring sheen to the class
    Kawasaki Versys 1000 £9,499 116bhp 21 litres 239kg Oddball in being a Z1000-derived transverse four, but difficult to argue with value
    Moto Guzzi Stelvio ABS £10,778 102bhp 32 litres 251kg Often-ignored 'Italian GS' can't quite match most rivals but is still a worthy alternative
    Yamaha XT1200Z Tenere £12,128 110bhp 23 litres 261kg Worthy contender new in 2010 with impressive abilities. Scary price has now been cut
    KTM Adventure 990 £9,995 113bhp 20 litres 210kg Definitive off-roader fends off senility for 2012 with uprated engine, styling and suspension

Bike
    less than I used to have
    every time I see this thread I somehow read Honda Cross-Dresser...

Bike
    All of them
    The height of the centre of mass is more important than the vehicle's tare weight.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    The height of the centre of mass is more important than the vehicle's tare weight.
    Absolutely. However, when a GSA fully fuelled weighs 260kg ish and is holding 33L of fuel, while the Crosstourer is holding 21L of fuel and weighing in at 275kg... it's an issue. I wouldn't quibble over 5kg here or there...

How can it weigh so much when other bikes with 50% more fuel weigh less? The weight does become an issue when you go down gravel roads, through water, etc. You'll still need to put luggage on, the weight will affect handling and tyre wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ....this thread also brings to mind a really cool book I read many years ago..'Husky Be My Guide'... check it out...

Bike
    All of them
    Absolutely. However, when a GSA fully fuelled weighs 260kg ish and is holding 33L of fuel, while the Crosstourer is holding 21L of fuel and weighing in at 275kg... it's an issue. I wouldn't quibble over 5kg here or there...

How can it weigh so much when other bikes with 50% more fuel weigh less? The weight does become an issue when you go down gravel roads, through water, etc. You'll still need to put luggage on, the weight will affect handling and tyre wear.
    Pass the BMW Koolaide.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Pass the BMW Koolaide.
    I should actually add that after (and still) enjoying the Hornet I really wanted a Honda... I knew the Crosstourer was coming about a year and a half ago, but speaking to a dealer who referred my questions to Blue Wing, it wasn't even confirmed for production, so was told it's at least 2 years away. Told the salesman (honestly) that I wanted a Honda but Honda didn't have the bike for me... Varadero was not an option.

More annoyingly, the Crosstourer is not an option either. Not enough fuel (I'm not doing a 2nd fuel tank again) and for the amount of fuel you do get, it's waaaay too heavy. My favourite dealer is a Honda dealership right near by, but Honda can't pull their shit together and build a good bike I can only hope that the 2nd iteration is better... until then the GSA is basically my only option... but it's not like I'm slumming it The numerous warranty claims have been annoying however, when the 100,000km 6 year old Hornet continues to trot along like it has 20k on it.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    All of them
    Honda builds a good bike. It just doesn't suit your requirements.

It *appears* that it would suit mine quite nicely. As do several others on the list.

The real issue for off-roadability is not so much the weight or any mass debate - but the size of the rear wheel and whether it can accomodate a knobby tyre. Several of them can't.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    For the manufacturers going big adventure bike with some off road potential, most are choosing the 110/80/19 front and 150/70/17 rear, which have plenty of options. Vstrom, GS, Super Tenere to name a few use that combo (just googled the Triumph Explorer, seems to be in this group).

For the 17s front and rear I believe Continental is expanding their TKC range.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Honda had the Varadero which seemed to a close match to the VStrom. Both are road going adventure bikes rather than more off road, but Honda's newest addition appears to be even more road orientated. The fuel tank is smaller than the VStrom's and it looks like it is considerably thirstier based on their claimed fuel consumption.

If I was going to move away from the VStrom I think my choice would be the Yamaha Super Tenere rather the Honda.
    Time to ride

Bike
    All of them
    For the manufacturers going big adventure bike with some off road potential, most are choosing the 110/80/19 front and 150/70/17 rear, which have plenty of options. Vstrom, GS, Super Tenere to name a few use that combo (just googled the Triumph Explorer, seems to be in this group).

For the 17s front and rear I believe Continental is expanding their TKC range.

It's about the rears. 160 wide is the maximum knobby.
    People who know better than me say it's because the 180s get too much heat for the type of construction.
    So a number of them - Multistrudle, Tiger 1050, Stelvio, Ulysses, have a 180 or wider - which means that heavy cut road treads are the only option. (Or run a 160 on a 180 rim)
    They are actually fine for pretty much anything in the dry. Soon as it gets damp....

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Honda's newest addition appears to be even more road orientated.
    Not meaning you lot - but that's what the hard-core ADV bleaters don't get. Most owners of this type of vehicle would ride it on the road +95% of the time.
    Big, comfortable, 2-up tourers that can deal with a shitty and twisty road.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    I actually like it as a tourer - I will test ride it when I finally consider replacing the Connie (it won't be soon - she's only got 81k on her). It should be a comfortable tourer with a nice riding position. Owning both a Connie & a Strom I enjoy the upright riding position and wide bars that you get with adv bikes. If I got one I'd probably keep the Strom for the dirty stuff. 21L is a big improvement on the VFR but more is always better (that goes for the Connie too)...

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    The new crosstourer is not as tall as the varadero, but it is still quite big. The bike will be an excellent road tourer while capable of handling rougher roads. I currently own a Tiger 955i, had a varadero prior to that. Neither the Tiger or varadero are great on gravel, but you get by simply by going slower than the lighter duallies but they still handle a shitty twisty road like the Lake Waikaremoana road better than any normal tourer, let alone a sports bike.

I am one of those that rides 95% of the time on tarmac and only 5% on gravel. Any of the bigger adventure bikes (BMW GS1200, Crosstourer, Triumph 1200, Yamaha 1200 etc) would suit me. If I wanted to do more gravel I would get the KTM990 adventure (and fit an after-market larger fuel tank).

I like the looks of the Crosstourer, but I will not be getting one soon. For me my next bike might be the Triumph 1200 (just wish it had a larger fuel tank). A comfortable two up touring bike I can take on most formed roads.

Thread Information