Thread: Visitor bikers need help

Bike
    BMW1200GS

Visitor bikers need help

Hi fellow bikers !

We are three bikers from Turkey (average age 55) and ride BMW1200GS.

We are planning a 10 day visit to your beautiful country in mid-Feb 2013 and would greatly appreciate suggestions for best route to take to see the best within this time.

Bearing in mind we would ride max 250KM good roads per day and no adventure, route suggestions, accommodation info and bike hire would be much appreciated.

We are also considering to go wih a relaible company to organize a self guided tour including bike hire and accommodation.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Cevdet Basacik
    cbasacik@gmail.com

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Cevdet, I have moved your post into the Coming or Going or Visitors in NZ sub-forum. Please feel free to browse the other posts in the sub-forum, as there have been many posts made on the same topics of recommending routes and places to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Id recommend the south island as the best place to start can be cold between christchurch
    and picton but great ride lots to see

Think there bike hire places in auckland and christchirch try eric woods in christchurch

all the best sir am not touring biker so there be lots other people with more knowlege than me

if you in palmerston north feel free to drop in for cuppa tea or coffee

Quote Originally Posted by cbasacik View Post
    Hi fellow bikers !

We are three bikers from Turkey (average age 55) and ride BMW1200GS.

We are planning a 10 day visit to your beautiful country in mid-Feb 2013 and would greatly appreciate suggestions for best route to take to see the best within this time.

Bearing in mind we would ride max 250KM good roads per day and no adventure, route suggestions, accommodation info and bike hire would be much appreciated.

We are also considering to go wih a relaible company to organize a self guided tour including bike hire and accommodation.

Cevdet Basacik
    cbasacik@gmail.com

Bike
    XR200

Cevdet Basacik
    cbasacik@gmail.com
    Hi Cevdet

I have a friend who owns a bike rental business - David Moreton. He is a good man and I'm confident he can help you. http://www.comotorcyclehire.co.nz/

David's business is situated in Central Otago which is in the lower South Island, near Queenstown. The whole South Island is biker paradise.

As for your route, I'll leave others to make suggestions.

Essentially New Zealand is a green mountainous country with vast open spaces and few people once you are away from the cities. It's like eastern Turkey in terms of mountains but the beauty is more compact. We don't have anything to match the Saint Sophia or the Blue Mosque but we do have volcanoes (in the North Island) and exquisite natural beauty. Alpine mountains, lakes, fjords, deserts, dramatic coasts, and friendly people.

I spent two weeks in Istanbul many years ago and have a warm affection for your country. The Turks are respected in NZ too, because of Mustapha Kemal Ataturk and Gallipoli.

Lest we forget.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    In the south island, the land that time forgot, every where is brillant riding except the canterbury plains. Having said that it is interesting to visit whats left of Christchurch after last years earthquake.

If you start at Christchurch, head south for 4 hours but go via the Thompsons Track Road and the Mackenzy Country then do;
    The Catlands, south of Dunedin are a brillant coastal road that has recently been sealed.8/10
    The ride around from Invercargill to Te Anau is a neat.
    The road to Fiordland and back is a must, if it is open on the day.10/10
    The whole west coast 10/10.
    The Takaka hill road is IMHO the best scratcher road in NZ 10/10.
    Then back down the Kaikoura Cost road (which I dont find very interesting actually) to Christchurch.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    Sold
    For 10 days, the South Island is definitely best. Start by buying this book through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/New-Zealand-Mo...6876032&sr=8-2. It gives full details of all the great routes for motorcycles including maps and photographs.

For a taste of what to expect, look at this blog and stunning photos taken by an American visitor: http://kiwibound.livejournal.com/2009/03/17/.

Best wishes!

Bike
    BMW1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Id recommend the south island as the best place to start can be cold between christchurch
    and picton but great ride lots to see

Think there bike hire places in auckland and christchirch try eric woods in christchurch

all the best sir am not touring biker so there be lots other people with more knowlege than me

if you in palmerston north feel free to drop in for cuppa tea or coffee

Thanks very much ! We will look you up if we are there eventually :-)

Bike
    BMW1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Hi Cevdet

I have a friend who owns a bike rental business - David Moreton. He is a good man and I'm confident he can help you. http://www.comotorcyclehire.co.nz/

David's business is situated in Central Otago which is in the lower South Island, near Queenstown. The whole South Island is biker paradise.

As for your route, I'll leave others to make suggestions.

Essentially New Zealand is a green mountainous country with vast open spaces and few people once you are away from the cities. It's like eastern Turkey in terms of mountains but the beauty is more compact. We don't have anything to match the Saint Sophia or the Blue Mosque but we do have volcanoes (in the North Island) and exquisite natural beauty. Alpine mountains, lakes, fjords, deserts, dramatic coasts, and friendly people.

I spent two weeks in Istanbul many years ago and have a warm affection for your country. The Turks are respected in NZ too, because of Mustapha Kemal Ataturk and Gallipoli.

Lest we forget.
    Thanks Winston. Much obliged...

Bike
    BMW1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    In the south island, the land that time forgot, every where is brillant riding except the canterbury plains. Having said that it is interesting to visit whats left of Christchurch after last years earthquake.

If you start at Christchurch, head south for 4 hours but go via the Thompsons Track Road and the Mackenzy Country then do;
    The Catlands, south of Dunedin are a brillant coastal road that has recently been sealed.8/10
    The ride around from Invercargill to Te Anau is a neat.
    The road to Fiordland and back is a must, if it is open on the day.10/10
    The whole west coast 10/10.
    The Takaka hill road is IMHO the best scratcher road in NZ 10/10.
    Then back down the Kaikoura Cost road (which I dont find very interesting actually) to Christchurch.
    Thanks very much for suggestions... Best regards !

Bike
    BMW1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    For 10 days, the South Island is definitely best. Start by buying this book through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/New-Zealand-Mo...6876032&sr=8-2. It gives full details of all the great routes for motorcycles including maps and photographs.

For a taste of what to expect, look at this blog and stunning photos taken by an American visitor: http://kiwibound.livejournal.com/2009/03/17/.

Best wishes!
    Thanks very much for your suggestions...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Thanks very much for your suggestions...
    If I could suggest one thing it would be to extend your holiday as much as you can. This country is truely a lovely place to tour around, 10 days wont give it justice at all. I guess I will have to concur with others regarding the South Island even though I live in the winterless north. If you do happen to get up this way on your trip feel free to make our place a stop over point. In the meantime have fun planning your trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Geriatric Kwakas + dragqueen hyperscoot
    No matter which island you start in, you'll need to pass through Wellington on your way from one t'other. Feel free to contact me should you need a bed for the night. I often have bikers staying overnight so you'd be very welcome.
    feralconnection Ltd
    Leather lettering and seat rebuilds
    Gear alterations and repairs
    PM me and lets talk
    !

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    The Wiki has a lot of infor for visitors:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Main_Page

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    I agree with the above posters. If your only looking at a 10 day ride in Feb then the South Island is better for the riding. That isn't to say that the NI is shabby, it is stunning in Feb. The beaches are at their best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Thread Information