Thread: Bike hauler question

Bike
    2010 KTM 530EXC, among others...

Bike hauler question

Almost have my visa; plan on getting there at the beginning of October of this year. Plans have changed a bunch of times, of course, but now it looks like we are shipping a container for sure. I don't plan on bringing any of my bikes due to tarriffs and the like, but I do plan on having at least two while I am there - a commuter/tourer, and then an offroad or enduro bike that may or may not be street legal.

As such, I realized that I may be able to ship my hitch-mount bike hauler, but I have been so far unable to tell if they are legal there in NZ. Something like this one, although obviously the beater strapped to it was a temporary bike(LOL...):

I simply need to know if I should plan on buying a small trailer, or pickup, if something like this is not allowed or otherwise banned.

Thanks, in advance, for any sort of info!

Bike
    '87 GSX750SF Katana, 08 Cagiva Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
    Almost have my visa; plan on getting there at the beginning of October of this year. Plans have changed a bunch of times, of course, but now it looks like we are shipping a container for sure. I don't plan on bringing any of my bikes due to tarriffs and the like, but I do plan on having at least two while I am there - a commuter/tourer, and then an offroad or enduro bike that may or may not be street legal.

As such, I realized that I may be able to ship my hitch-mount bike hauler, but I have been so far unable to tell if they are legal there in NZ. Something like this one, although obviously the beater strapped to it was a temporary bike(LOL...):

I simply need to know if I should plan on buying a small trailer, or pickup, if something like this is not allowed or otherwise banned.

Thanks, in advance, for any sort of info!

I've seen things like these on the back of mobile homes. I would imagine that they would be fine so long as the bike isn't obscuring any of your lights or number plate.
    Last edited by Gremlin; 25th July 2012 at 11:47. Reason: Quoted Embedded Media Removed

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the picture; your number plate and rear lights are not visible. So on those grounds alone, I would think a mount like that one would not be legal.

Bike
    This is pretty much what you're talking about.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/cara...-482289045.htm

Bike
    2010 KTM 530EXC, among others...
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Looking at the picture; your number plate and rear lights are not visible. So on those grounds alone, I would think a mount like that one would not be legal.
    I agree; we get away with a lot in the Western US. I've driven tens of thousands of miles with a bike on the back like that and never been questioned/pulled over. I guess I wasn't specific, but instead assumed that anything you mount off of the back of most vehicles may not be legal there in NZ. But, on the post below...

Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    This is pretty much what you're talking about.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/cara...-482289045.htm
    ...I see that it's just as commonplace there. Perhaps they do require that the lights be on it, though, like that one?

Thanks for the link/tips, all! Just clarifying things before we ship stuff...

Thread Information