Thread: 5 day loop from Picton

Bike
    1988 Honda CD250u, 1997 Suzuki XF650

5 day loop from Picton

Hey!

I'm planning a 5 day loop on the South Island starting and ending at the ferry in Picton. We're hoping to get the ferry on Monday morning and get the ferry back Friday lunchtime/afternoon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a route and/or places to stay on the loop. The only fixed point would be a hike in Kaikoura on Thursday.

Cheers,

Dan.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningPlastic View Post
    Hey!

I'm planning a 5 day loop on the South Island starting and ending at the ferry in Picton. We're hoping to get the ferry on Monday morning and get the ferry back Friday lunchtime/afternoon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a route and/or places to stay on the loop. The only fixed point would be a hike in Kaikoura on Thursday.

Cheers,

Dan.
    see if you can get the route for yesterdays TT2000.
    This would give you a very good route to take over 5 days , visiting some great places in the south.
    It also could be adjusted to suit your start finish point.
    Jantor. is the one to contact if you consider this option.
    Along with that I would check out the long range weather forecast to see which side of the island to ride first.
    Rain on the west coast normally means fine on the east coast, and visa versa
    Please make sure everything on your ride is legal to the Max,
    Especially your tires, southern roads demand good rubber. a "she will do another 1000k's" back tire will not cut it.
    The Popos are trying hard to dog us off the road.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    The Popos are trying hard to dog us off the road.
    Wow, that's pretty extreme. I think you could mean Jantar too.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningPlastic View Post
    Hey!

Cheers,

Dan.
    Picton to nelson via the sounds to Havelock is a good start. Five days could be spent just in the upper south island. Depending on your ability to do distances (on a 250) ... would dictate how far you go south. And how you feel on the day.
    Best just pootle down the west side, untill it's time to head north to Kaikoura. From there it is an easy haul to the ferry and home. Especially if you are weary.

Get a copy of The New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas. It will be money well spent.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Get a copy of The New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas. It will be money well spent.
    And a winery tour guide.

Thread Information