Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 110

Thread: Turbo performance?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    17th July 2005 - 21:28
    Bike
    Dougcati and Geoff
    Location
    Havelock North
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was gutted when I found out my XN85 didn't have one.





    Yeah right...
    You know it needed wank factor to match your tracto...Harley!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....




    Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

  2. #32
    Join Date
    27th March 2006 - 09:29
    Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Location
    Burglary capital of Unzud
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are better benefits in water cooled barrels than cooling the housing (has been done) If you're wanting the nicest performance go variable vane (Holset make them and they're not the newest idea either) and make sure the A/R is right for your needs on both ex/intake side.
    How about cold water injection directly into the intake air stream?

    I can't remember much about how it works other than cooling the intake air temp after the turbo / super for the same result, colder = more mass for same volume = more oxygen = MORE POWER!!!

    I have a vauge recollection about WW2 aero engines using water injection concurrently with increasing the wastegate pressure. Something about not only did the water cool the intake gas temp, but also converting the water into steam enabled much higher compression ratios. Not sure so happy to be "educated" by KB experts.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

  3. #33
    Join Date
    17th July 2005 - 21:28
    Bike
    Dougcati and Geoff
    Location
    Havelock North
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about cold water injection directly into the intake air stream?

    I can't remember much about how it works other than cooling the intake air temp after the turbo / super for the same result, colder = more mass for same volume = more oxygen = MORE POWER!!!

    I have a vauge recollection about WW2 aero engines using water injection concurrently with increasing the wastegate pressure. Something about not only did the water cool the intake gas temp, but also converting the water into steam enabled much higher compression ratios. Not sure so happy to be "educated" by KB experts.....
    A lot of people still run water/meth injection, have seen a few set ups myself. Very good way of reducing the risk of detonation

    I think you'd be correct on the WW2 planes, with water injection you can run higher boost and not crack or melt pistons

    On a related note, I've been pulling down a Z18 in a Datsun 720 that's given itself a nice dose of water injection on cyl.4...
    Last edited by ducatilover; 8th March 2012 at 17:49. Reason: Gwammmmmarrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....




    Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

  4. #34
    Join Date
    27th March 2006 - 09:29
    Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Location
    Burglary capital of Unzud
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blowing cold air into a turbo isn't going to produce boost, but the waste heat that's still expanding, that will do it.
    Not sure I understand your point re blowing cold air into a turbo. I though it was a function of the exhust gass pressure (pushing on the zorst size of the turbo) and the size of the hole on the intake that are to the limiting factors.

    Also the exhaust gas will only slowly expand after it leaves the engine port before the turbo as there is no additional heat being added (PV=nRT) and it wouldn't flow otherwise. But it will expand quite a lot as it passes through the turbo and / or reduce temp and / or pressure; as energy is transferred to the other side of the turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

  5. #35
    Join Date
    27th March 2006 - 09:29
    Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Location
    Burglary capital of Unzud
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of people still run water/meth injection, have seen a few set ups myself. Very good way of reducing the risk of detonation

    I think you'd be correct on the WW2 planes, with water injection you can run higher boost and not crack or melt pistons

    On a related note, I've been pulling down a Z18 in a Datsun 720 that's given itself a nice dose of water injection on cyl.4...

    Will goggle / pootube that as may find some interesting stuff.

    720 - Dads got one that sufferring from body cancer but the engine is simply stunning for starting. Does your involve a head gasket issue? He bought his new in 85, the hand brake style 4wd selector was brilliant, never worked out why others didn't copy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

  6. #36
    Join Date
    17th July 2005 - 21:28
    Bike
    Dougcati and Geoff
    Location
    Havelock North
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will goggle / pootube that as may find some interesting stuff.

    720 - Dads got one that sufferring from body cancer but the engine is simply stunning for starting. Does your involve a head gasket issue? He bought his new in 85, the hand brake style 4wd selector was brilliant, never worked out why others didn't copy it.
    That's the way to go.

    This blew the gasket on the intake side at the back on number 4.
    It's a horrible thing to work on (it's on big rubber and I'm only 5ft7 so I have some reaching issues
    There's a small amount of cancer, but it's actually not a bad rig to drive.
    The auto locking hubs are rather nice and it rides well for an old ute.
    It's not mine though, although I do like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....




    Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

  7. #37
    Join Date
    27th March 2006 - 09:29
    Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Location
    Burglary capital of Unzud
    Posts
    2,840
    Nice read here - old school! Merlins etc

    http://www.enginehistory.org/Convent...awPete/ADI.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

  8. #38
    Join Date
    27th March 2006 - 09:29
    Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Location
    Burglary capital of Unzud
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The auto locking hubs are rather nice and it rides well for an old ute.
    It's not mine though, although I do like it.
    The old toymotors / hilux get all of the press, particularly after the Top Gear thing, but the 720, other then the rust was a much better bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

  9. #39
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 20:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    10,367
    Blog Entries
    2
    For those that don't know that much about turbo's ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

    And water injection ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)
    Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape ....

  10. #40
    Join Date
    17th July 2005 - 21:28
    Bike
    Dougcati and Geoff
    Location
    Havelock North
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The old toymotors / hilux get all of the press, particularly after the Top Gear thing, but the 720, other then the rust was a much better bus.
    I have to agree, the Z18 lump pulls a lot better than the Toyota 2Y lump.
    The Toyota Y series engines are very, very easy to work on, camn knock a headgasket job out on one in just over 2 hours.
    I'm pulling the donk out the 720 soon, need to check the bottom end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....




    Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

  11. #41
    Join Date
    25th October 2002 - 17:30
    Bike
    GSXR1000, XR250R
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    7,661
    Blog Entries
    1
    Had a guy on the yard one day tell me if you had a turbo timer you didn't need an intercooler. I didn't bother explaining to him the difference, I just simply drew him a little picture of what they each did, and then asked him to explain what he said again.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/signaturepics/sigpic31_1.gif

  12. #42
    Join Date
    17th July 2005 - 21:28
    Bike
    Dougcati and Geoff
    Location
    Havelock North
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a guy on the yard one day tell me if you had a turbo timer you didn't need an intercooler. I didn't bother explaining to him the difference, I just simply drew him a little picture of what they each did, and then asked him to explain what he said again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....




    Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

  13. #43
    Join Date
    27th September 2008 - 17:14
    Bike
    KLR 650 (not green) BMW R100GSPD (91)
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    3,459
    used to work with a guy that had detonation problems in his turbo rally car so he set up a crude water injection system using a winow washer pump some hose and a button under the accelerator pedal so when he put his foot to the floor it pushed the button and squirted water into the inlet stream via the washer pump.. Worked a treat.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

  14. #44
    Join Date
    16th September 2004 - 15:48
    Bike
    Bike? I came here for the porn!
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,605
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a guy on the yard one day tell me if you had a turbo timer you didn't need an intercooler. I didn't bother explaining to him the difference, I just simply drew him a little picture of what they each did, and then asked him to explain what he said again.
    I always liked the fact that people paid $200 for a glorified APEXI egg timer. Had one guy tell me it calculated the time on his car that the turbo needed to spool down. Asked him very politely where it plugged into the computer on his carb'd mitsi.

    Laughed at the ford dealership the other day. Turns out heaps of people (such as myself) had complained about the overpressure+lag of the turbo on the TDCi.........so ford came out with a 'hot fix patch'.
    Nope wasn't a computer download or a tune..........there is a tiny blow off valve installed now lol
    At first I thought my clutch was doing something funky........too me a while to realise what it was.
    So now its half boy racer and half tractor.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    17th July 2005 - 21:28
    Bike
    Dougcati and Geoff
    Location
    Havelock North
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Asked him very politely where it plugged into the computer on his carb'd mitsi.
    They just "calculate" it by the running time of the car. Pointless contraptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....




    Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •