Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo performance?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Yup when someone complains that the car they are looking at hasn't got a turbo timer, I ask them to name a turbo car that has one fitted from factory. I don't know if there actually is or not, but if there is I've yet to met someone on the yard who can name one.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Yup when someone complains that the car they are looking at hasn't got a turbo timer, I ask them to name a turbo car that has one fitted from factory. I don't know if there actually is or not, but if there is I've yet to met someone on the yard who can name one.
    Was an option on the S13 and some Toyotas, the SW20 had dealer installed ones, not sure about factory fitments. Do I get a cookie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Was an option on the S13 and some Toyotas, the SW20 had dealer installed ones, not sure about factory fitments. Do I get a cookie?
    Driven a few SW20's and none of them have had them. I don't think the turbo ones were sold NZ New, and the Japanese ones I've driven didn't have them. Maybe still just an option?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Driven a few SW20's and none of them have had them. I don't think the turbo ones were sold NZ New, and the Japanese ones I've driven didn't have them. Maybe still just an option?
    Was a dealer fitted option. So I'm not sure if you'd consider it factory or not?
    I've been in a revision 5 SW20 GTS with a dealer fitted turbo timer. Not NZ new though.

They're the only two examples I can think of and neither were a standard option and are very rare. Probably because there's no need for a turbo timer
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Probably because there's no need for a turbo timer
    Exactly!!!!

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Exactly!!!!
    I've heard some ridiculous arguments about the need for them...
    One being cooling the oil to the shaft. Bullshit.
    Slows the turbo down and cools. Bullshit.

Have yet to hear someone come up with a good excuse other than wank factor

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    '97 RF900
    It was pointed out to me once that they may in fact be dangerous, if you had a serious accident and turning off the key didn't stop the engine from running (or pumping fuel into the hot part of the wreck?).

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Seat_Terror View Post
    It was pointed out to me once that they may in fact be dangerous, if you had a serious accident and turning off the key didn't stop the engine from running (or pumping fuel into the hot part of the wreck?).
    Could be a bit of a problem couldn't it?

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    I thought the theory of the turbo timer was mainly to give the engine oil time to circulate and cool down a little bit if you had just been driving vigorously and the oil was very hot and then turned engine straight off. So that there wasn't some sort of carbon deposits or something happening to the oil in the hot turbo or something building up in the turbo? doesn't really make much sense though since the oil is only really going to start cooling down after the engine is stopped anyway?

meh.. there was no turbo timer fitted to my turbo bike anyway..

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    The theory of a turbo timer is that when the engine stops so does the oil pump therefore not pumping oil to the turbine bearings which because the turbine is not mechanically connected to anything can still be spinning.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    used to work with a guy that had detonation problems in his turbo rally car so he set up a crude water injection system using a winow washer pump some hose and a button under the accelerator pedal so when he put his foot to the floor it pushed the button and squirted water into the inlet stream via the washer pump.. Worked a treat.
    Neat methanol based windscreen washer fluid works even better than water you can buy kits online. RE Turbo timers - I thought it was mainly to protect the turbo bearings - pull off the road straight away and switch the engine off and the turbo will still be spinning faster than an engine that has been idling, as soon as the engine stops you loose oil pressure and the turbo bearings loose their supply of fresh oil. Pretty sure in the last turbo car owners manual I read it said if you stop straight after a motorway run let the engine idle for a few moments until the turbo has slowed down a little.

2. After highway driving or high-load driving, Subaru recommends allowing the engine to cool by idling for at least 30 seconds before shutting off.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by baffa View Post
    Wow some people really need to read up on how turbos work.
    yeah aye, im trying to bite my tounge but but... ohhh shit

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post
    100,000rpm is nothing for a turbocharger, the small-ish turbo's that sit on V6 Mitsi motors can go past 250,000rpm!
    Like my CX500 17psi and 250,000rpm early lasers etc were a massive 7psi try 150psi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIHPzuqSc4&feature=fvsr

Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Screw using the turbo to blow air into the engine, use those revs to power the drive shaft haha Near no torque but imagine the hp
    HUH... turbos use wast energy to produce power.

Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I was gutted when I found out my XN85 didn't have one.
    It did, does, LOL but I ducted the wast back into the exhaust... I just figgered a aging oll boy with his fingerless gloves, tassels, potty hat with a externally vented pull off (love that term) valve just wouldent seem right.

Ohh and timers, well yeah maybe with the 1st of the turbos due to the material used as seals, now days ceramics and all that, na anyways by the time ya pull up the drive stick er in neutral enough cooler oil has passed through.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2001 Duc 7 4 8 R
    In an accident most fuel injected cars have an inertia switch that switches off the fuel pump. If anyone has been dumb enough to bypass it then they should be in the darwin awards list.
    It's not a beer pot .... It's a fuel tank for a sex machine

Trip of a life time http://www.buenosaires-caracas.com.ar/tours.html
    Trip details here

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..

Meh, a naturally aspirated V8 will do that easily if it's still fitted with the factory mechanical fuel pump.

I've been standing there at the gas station, keys in my hand and the motor still running...

Too high an idle speed is enough to get that going.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Your mom
    I've owned a car with a turbo timer and all I had to do to bypass it was put the handbrake up and down and the engine would shut off immediately.

Thread Information