Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo performance?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    The theory of a turbo timer is that when the engine stops so does the oil pump therefore not pumping oil to the turbine bearings which because the turbine is not mechanically connected to anything can still be spinning.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    RE Turbo timers - I thought it was mainly to protect the turbo bearings - pull off the road straight away and switch the engine off and the turbo will still be spinning faster than an engine that has been idling, as soon as the engine stops you loose oil pressure and the turbo bearings loose their supply of fresh oil. Pretty sure in the last turbo car owners manual I read it said if you stop straight after a motorway run let the engine idle for a few moments until the turbo has slowed down a little.

2. After highway driving or high-load driving, Subaru recommends allowing the engine to cool by idling for at least 30 seconds before shutting off.
    That's the reason that has been put to me every time. My reply is, who actually boosts their car hard then turns it off immediately? Do you nail it up your driveway? When you pull into your park at work is that at speed? Into a service station?

Two reasons I've heard of not to use them, and one happened to a guy I knew. His tt failed and left his car idling for over 2hrs while he was at the movies. The second is that they can be a link to your ignition system for car thieves. Don't know how likely that one is though.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    That's the reason that has been put to me every time. My reply is, who actually boosts their car hard then turns it off immediately? Do you nail it up your driveway? When you pull into your park at work is that at speed? Into a service station?

Two reasons I've heard of not to use them, and one happened to a guy I knew. His tt failed and left his car idling for over 2hrs while he was at the movies. The second is that they can be a link to your ignition system for car thieves. Don't know how likely that one is though.
    No idea, I don´t know if they are concerned about temperatures or speeds. These guys say its more about temperature. Looks like Porchse and Audi have electric cooling pumps for their turbos that stay on after engine shut down.

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/whytimer.htm
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    The theory of a turbo timer is that when the engine stops so does the oil pump therefore not pumping oil to the turbine bearings which because the turbine is not mechanically connected to anything can still be spinning.
    It's still spinning at idle, which is when you shut it off anyway, as OAB pointed out, who is on boost right before turning the car off? Regardless of how you do it, the oil will still be subjected to heat soak when you shut the engine off and running it at idle is not really going to give you a dramatic decrease in oil temp at the turbo.
    No idea, I don´t know if they are concerned about temperatures or speeds. These guys say its more about temperature. Looks like Porchse and Audi have electric cooling pumps for their turbos that stay on after engine shut down.

It's a pointless device. You oil temp after a hard run is going to drop temp slower when you run it for an extra 3 min without air flow past the turbo housing, sump or oil cooler.

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/whytimer.htm
    It'd work better too as you'd be cooling the oil as it soaks the heat from the block. Not running oil that isn't cooled to the turbo and pretending it's helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Uncooled oil will still be cooler than the bearings even at idle/stationary.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Uncooled oil will still be cooler than the bearings even at idle/stationary.
    Even so, by how much? And will you run the engine until you are certain that the bearings are at oil temp? Either way, neither are going to cool down at such different rates for the shaft do warp/crack as the heat transfers. Oil is going to be sitting around at +90c anyway...

It's a gimmick, a well built turbo and well kept lube system does a better job.
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Even so, by how much? And will you run the engine until you are certain that the bearings are at oil temp? Either way, neither are going to cool down at such different rates for the shaft do warp/crack as the heat transfers. Oil is going to be sitting around at +90c anyway...

It's a gimmick, a well built turbo and well kept lube system does a better job.
    Well if a turbo can get hot enough to glow cherry red and even if you´ve got a high oil temperature of 150 c thats a pretty big difference in temperature and a lot of cooling. Google turbocharger hot shutdown failure. I can see the advantages of a turbo timer. I run a supercharger so its not an issue for me but I can see the merit of having one.

I know marine generators have set cooldown timers before shutting down.

Pretty common to see boy racers "boosting" up the road before pulling into a servo or driveway.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    The problem is the heat soak 'burning' the oil and causing carbon buildup which reduces the clearances. Something spinning at thses speeds needs to be pretty right. Too much build up leads to reduced lubrication and then some riding on the bus.

Just as an observation - this is a frightenly uninformed post. Everyone has an oprinion but seemingly no-one has the time to do any research
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Pretty common to see boy racers "boosting" up the road before pulling into a servo or driveway.
    How much 'boost' are they really making at a time like that?

And how much work is the turbo REALLY doing?

A 4 to 6 second burst isn't really giving the turbo a hard work-out.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post

No idea mate, next time you do a late night stop on a boi racer ask them to pop the bonnett and take a peek at the turbo for us!

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Well if a turbo can get hot enough to glow cherry red and even if you´ve got a high oil temperature of 150 c thats a pretty big difference in temperature and a lot of cooling. Google turbocharger hot shutdown failure. I can see the advantages of a turbo timer. I run a supercharger so its not an issue for me but I can see the merit of having one.

I know marine generators have set cooldown timers before shutting down.

How often are people running the turbo in their Evo/etc that hot?
    I still think there is no advantage running the engine on for 1-3min to "cool" the oil. It's not going to cool much and it's still pumping hot oil to the turbo.

I can understand if you're getting the turbo red hot just before stopping (shouldn't really be an issue on the road...) as that's an extreme.
    But, otherwise letting your engine idle is not really helping anything.

In my opinion.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post

and how many (other than the owner) will care if the turbo shits itself earlier than it should ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I've never seen a turbo glow 'cherry red hot' under normal use, including thrashing the nuts off turbo cars. And if they were so critical, how come virtually no turbo cars from factory come with them?

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    yea, although I noticed some big turbo diesel machinery I operated over summer holidays all had big stickers saying run engine for a minute or so after use before shutting down.. wonder if that was for the turbo.

They were grunty, big loaders n shit

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    .. still not fitted with a timer tho hehe.. a sticker would suffice

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    yea, although I noticed some big turbo diesel machinery I operated over summer holidays all had big stickers saying run engine for a minute or so after use before shutting down.. wonder if that was for the turbo.

They were grunty, big loaders n shit
    Most diesel manufacturers reccommend an idle-down period before shutdown.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information