Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Turbo performance?

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Do turbos gain pressure from the air being heated up as it passes the hot turbo as well as the fan forcing more air in? Or would it be ideal to have the turbo cold (If it could be done) so the air passing through it is still cool?

If heating and cooling the air plays no part in the building of air pressure then developing a cool turbo of sorts could eliminate the need for an intercooler, so lighter weight.

(Random late night engineering ideas)
    Only problem is the turbo is spun with exhust gas which can never be cold so nice try no way to achive this

In supercharger yes

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Only problem is the turbo is spun with exhust gas which can never be cold so nice try no way to achive this

In supercharger yes

You didn't read any of this thread did you?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DL 650
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Thats why have turbo timers problem solved easy . whould seem bit wried walking away car still running
    It would but Mitsi dealer said if one was put on it could void the warranty, interfering with the engine management system

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    When I bought the Triton I had the salesman try to tell me you didn't need to cool the turbo because the intercooler did that, had to get one of his mechanics in to set him straight.

The handbook even states that the engine should be idled after heavy load to cool the turbo, it doesn't say how long though.
    You only need to do it for about 5 seconds (or less) at idle from full speed.
    I've "e-stopped" a few of the work hacks (SR5 Hilux's, Tritons, Focus etc) - spool down time for the turbo's in these from max rev's is only about 10-15 or so seconds. So from idle would be less than 5.

The old SR5's and Safari's etc would take 30 or so seconds at idle because they were old tech.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Still bickering about this?
    My (the correct) understanding:
    A turbo is driven by the kinetic and thermal energy of an exhaust, driving the turbine to compress air, allowing more air and fuel into the cylinders. Compressed air becomes much warmer, so to maximise the effects of a turbo, an intercooler or water injection (or nos) is preferable.
    Intercoolers dont cool the turbo itself. It relies on the oil that lubricates it to help cool it, and in some cases, water cooling as well.
    Unless you turn off the engine when you are revving the engine, the turbo doesnt need time to "spin down".

The reason it needs time to idle, is because of the massive heat generated by the turbo. Engines tend to operate at 80-100 degrees. A turbo can reach 800-1000 degrees, so idling helps the turbo cool down. I have personally seen plenty of turbo vehicles with glowing hot turbos after a decent thrash. Especially motors like the 300zx, with two turbos crammed in a cramped engine bay and forced to share space with a large V6.

The second reason is that when the oil supply suddenly stops, oil stops circulating, and small amounts can coke/burn in the turbo. Combined with irregular oil changes (turbos need fresh oil), and you are asking for trouble.
    Most turb cars and utes (surf etc) need rebuilding after 150k, but ive seen them blow in less than half of that. It all comes down to how well you look after them.

So turbo timers arent essential, but unless you are happy to sit in the car and idle it for a couple of minutes every time you fang it, theyre not a bad idea either.

Thread Information