Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo performance?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s

Turbo performance?

Do turbos gain pressure from the air being heated up as it passes the hot turbo as well as the fan forcing more air in? Or would it be ideal to have the turbo cold (If it could be done) so the air passing through it is still cool?

If heating and cooling the air plays no part in the building of air pressure then developing a cool turbo of sorts could eliminate the need for an intercooler, so lighter weight.

(Random late night engineering ideas)

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Do turbos gain pressure from the air being heated up as it passes the hot turbo as well as the fan forcing more air in? Or would it be ideal to have the turbo cold (If it could be done) so the air passing through it is still cool?

If heating and cooling the air plays no part in the building of air pressure then developing a cool turbo of sorts could eliminate the need for an intercooler, so lighter weight.
    Do some reading about thermodynamics.

While you're at it can you also circumvent the laws of physics so I can ride as fast as I like without consequences?
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    '97 RF900
    Simply: More pressure = higher air density = more boom.
    More heat = lower density = less boom. This is why the intercooler is used (that and other heat-related problems like detonation).

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Cooler air is more dense of oxygen. Oxygen plus fuel is what makes fire.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    What I'm getting at is, why does a turbos design incorporate pumping cool air through a hot fan? Surely it would be better to have a shaft driven by the turbo that drives a separate fan which will be away from the hot exhaust?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    What I'm getting at is, why does a turbos design incorporate pumping cool air through a hot fan? Surely it would be better to have a shaft driven by the turbo that drives a separate fan which will be away from the hot exhaust?
    EH???
    Well, it is a seperate fan... The exhause drives on wheel that is connected to a hafe that drives the compressor.
    The heat from the compressor side of it is something that occurs when you squeeze any quantity of air up.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..

I see where you're coming from - a long shaft between the exhaust impeller and the intake impeller?

Unfortunately as mentioned by quickbuck, the very act of compressing air will make it hot - just feel what the temp the pump on an air compressor can get to...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Simply ... Variations abound.

The exaust gasses are directed through a turbine, this turbine is on the same shaft as a fan which forces air into the cylinders (Through the carbs). The increased fuel/air mixture (in the same space as normal) makes a bigger bang. More revs ... more fuel/air in ... more power. Most turbo are lower compression engines (to compensate for the larger fuel air mixture and higher compression that bigger bang makes) ... that rely on the turbo to get power. So at low rev's ... they are a dog.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Cooler air is more dense of oxygen. Oxygen plus fuel is what makes fire.
    But fuel would burn better in warm air ... wouldn't it ... ???

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    EH???
    Well, it is a seperate fan... The exhause drives on wheel that is connected to a hafe that drives the compressor.
    The heat from the compressor side of it is something that occurs when you squeeze any quantity of air up.
    That explains it thanks

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    EH???
    Not to mention the heat from the (usually) ceramic bearings ... as the RPM of the turbo shaft is spinning mind-blowing fast. (makes the red line figure of a 4 cylinder 250 seem slow by comparison)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not to mention the heat from the (usually) ceramic bearings ... as the RPM of the turbo shaft is spinning mind-blowing fast. (makes the red line figure of a 4 cylinder 250 seem slow by comparison)
    True that.
    The Bell 47 uses a VERY large Turbo... and it spins at over 40000 RPM.
    100000 isn't too far fetched for some of the smaller turbos out there.

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    But fuel would burn better in warm air ... wouldn't it ... ???
    All that would do is increase the risk of self detonation and reduce the oxygen content.

Bike
    '97 RF900
    You could skip the whole air compression thing and gear the turbo to the crankshaft! Turbo-compound engines on the last big propliners did this.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Seat_Terror View Post
    You could skip the whole air compression thing and gear the turbo to the crankshaft! Turbo-compound engines on the last big propliners did this.
    Then it would be supercharged. A similar principal ... with different characteristics in the final result.

Turbo's usually have a "lag" between throttle movement ... and response from the engine.(due usually because of distance from cylinders, through the exaust to the turbo)... Supercharging is (by comparision) instant .... as the "turbo" is driven directly off the engine.

Thread Information