Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    So are happy with how the e12's went? did they stay in place well for you?

cheers r
    Yep, E12 Wolfman bags are perfect for forcing me to pack light, they suit the bike size and they sat firmly in place thanks.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Transalper ~ the E12's are great on my EXC! Although, I did have to build a small heat shield for the muffler..

Other than that ~ Great Setup!

Thanks

Ryan
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    Ducatis,Ktms
    For all those you have done the dusty on a KTM450EXC or similar (9l standard tank) how much extra fuel are you planning for the Lawrenece-Omara(290km) leg?
    I am thinking it could be as much as another 9l ? Does that sound about right ? Interested to see the range of solutions peps on these bikes have come up with for carrying that much extra....

Ive never run my tank dry so if anyone knows what it takes to do so on a KTM450EXC I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers all
    P

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pouakai View Post
    For all those you have done the dusty on a KTM450EXC or similar (9l standard tank) how much extra fuel are you planning for the Lawrenece-Omara(290km) leg?
    I am thinking it could be as much as another 9l ? Does that sound about right ? Interested to see the range of solutions peps on these bikes have come up with for carrying that much extra....

Ive never run my tank dry so if anyone knows what it takes to do so on a KTM450EXC I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers all
    P

Well, based on last year~I rode my KLR...fyi.. This year I am taking my 530 EXC. So----

I am running a 15 liter Safari Tank..that actually holds 16 liters and carrying 2 extra 1 liter Primus fuel containers.

One will be in a tank bag and one in a fuel sleeve from Wolfman luggage, out of the states....

Might be a little overkill~but, I really don't want to run out of fuel
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    EXC450

Thumbs up

pouakai

I have a 25l Acerbis tank on my EXC. I've never filled it, nor had any problems on DB 2012.

I'd seen some people with a 5l orange can on their carrier. That still wouldn't give you enough for Lawrence-Omarama. I see you can detour part way round to fill up.

I saw plenty of 450's with those 15l Safari tanks. Maybe one of them will reply.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by pouakai View Post

Cheers all
    P
    My EXC does about 6l/100km. I have a 25l acerbis tank and have done just over 400km with the second reserve untouched (twin taps). A big tank is easiest. Alternatives are strapping on extra fuel when needed though this is a bit problematic on an exc. alternative is yo skip over to Alex for gas. The Crawford hills road is a nice bit of gravel anyway.

cheers r
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    DR650 - Tiger 955

Garmin Montana Off-road Mode

Anyone able to tell me how to switch a Garmin Montana 650t to 'off-road' mode? It does not appear as straight forward as for a Zumo. Unless I'm missing something obvious. The only thing i have found so far is in "Set-up > Routing" there is an option to "Draw vehicle locked to the road" Y/N. I have tried both options.

I have the DB1k routes loaded in the GPS but when I do a 'where to' on either route it comes up with "Only 50 points can be used for follow road navigation" and only plots a portion of the route. Hence I am guessing it is not in off-road mode. Help!~
    Carpe Diem

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpig View Post
    Anyone able to tell me how to switch a Garmin Montana 650t to 'off-road' mode?...~
    Page 42 of your manual under the heading 'Route Settings' sub heading 'Calculation Method' it says something about the route calculation method option is only available for some activities.
    Select ^
    Select Setup
    Select Routing
    Change Activity.

Then you should get the calculation method options available.
    Also I would make sure the 'Lock on Road' is off.

I have not yet seen any info on what the Activity options are to choose from, or how many points per route it can handle in various Activitys.

Please have a go and report back.
    Cheers
    TA.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    WR is so close to being done now. Tape works well but is messy and the Velcro is not holding so well. The WR doesn't have as big a front panel as the DR400/650's this design was originally done for in the Youtube links Nordie called our attention to so kind of looking like not enough contact area for the hook/loops to work well. May put 2 to 4 screws in the bike and do a hole/slot slip on arrangement.
    Looks good Transalper, this has given me some inspiration to try and make a screen for my little KLX (with mixed results). Does the screen make much of a difference to rider comfort?

Also what sort of fuel efficiency do you get out of the WR? I appreciate that the WR is fuel injected and has more bhp than the KLX 250S but will give me an idea of general efficiency for a 250 and help decide a bit of a fuel strategy for the DB1k. My KLX does seem to be pretty fuel efficient, managed to get 300k out of 11.3l IMS tank (US 3Gallon), over 26k per litre, predominantly gravel/off road (Waimak & Lees Valley) and was riding conservatively, is this about right?

Appreciate all the information on these forums, some really good learnings to be had

Cheers
    Adux

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I got about 4.3L per 100km or 23km/L with knobbs and my current ADV gearing, luggage etc. open highway ChCh to Reefton.
    Don't think the windscreen makes any real difference to fuel economy but the little screen does make a huge difference to my comfort meaning less fatigue.
    It get's the wind blast off my chest so I don't have to hang on against the wind or lean against the wind so much. On big headwinds I also tend to tuck down behind it a bit hiding from the wind.
    Down side is some designs/heights/widths can make the wind burble in your ears worse than without a screen. I wear plugs anyway and on the WR the screen I made seems pretty quiet compared to what I had on the DR650.
    Oh and I ended up drilling 4 holes and using screws to mount the screen but if it were to be a temporary job just for the DB then just taping on would have been fine.
    Last edited by Transalper; 31st December 2012 at 18:31. Reason: numbers were wrong.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Adux View Post
    Looks good Transalper, this has given me some inspiration to try and make a screen for my little KLX (with mixed results). Does the screen make much of a difference to rider comfort?

Also what sort of fuel efficiency do you get out of the WR?

Cheers
    Adux
    I have a tall screen on my XR250 I'm getting 25km/L..
    The screen should make no real diffrents .. If the airs not hitting the screen
    its hitting yer chest... A screen is a more aerodynamic surface than your
    chest/jacket...

Thats how I see it...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    1999 klx250r
    Quote Originally Posted by Adux View Post
    Also what sort of fuel efficiency do you get out of the WR? I appreciate that the WR is fuel injected and has more bhp than the KLX 250S but will give me an idea of general efficiency for a 250 and help decide a bit of a fuel strategy for the DB1k. My KLX does seem to be pretty fuel efficient, managed to get 300k out of 11.3l IMS tank (US 3Gallon), over 26k per litre, predominantly gravel/off road (Waimak & Lees Valley) and was riding conservatively, is this about right?

Appreciate all the information on these forums, some really good learnings to be had

Cheers
    Adux
    i have a 1999 klx250h2 with a 14L tank, on the Lawrence to Omarama leg of the db1k 2012 i put it on reserve ~10km before Omarama, at a guess its reserve is ~3L, the recommended fuel stops worked for me

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpig View Post
    Anyone able to tell me how to switch a Garmin Montana 650t to 'off-road' mode? It does not appear as straight forward as for a Zumo. Unless I'm missing something obvious. The only thing i have found so far is in "Set-up > Routing" there is an option to "Draw vehicle locked to the road" Y/N. I have tried both options.

I have the DB1k routes loaded in the GPS but when I do a 'where to' on either route it comes up with "Only 50 points can be used for follow road navigation" and only plots a portion of the route. Hence I am guessing it is not in off-road mode. Help!~
    In the same location as you saw the lock inroads option there is the option of direct routing, automobile, motorbike etc. The Montana's use the term "direct routing" instead of off road.

cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Just finishing up some old video projects and thought I should do this one before I record the next...

It's day one of the DB1K 2012, Fairlie to Alexandra in 11 minutes.
    Don't watch if you want it all to be a surprise.

Bike
    DR650 - Tiger 955
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Page 42 of your manual under the heading 'Route Settings' sub heading 'Calculation Method' it says something about the route calculation method option is only available for some activities.
    Select ^
    Select Setup
    Select Routing
    Change Activity.

Then you should get the calculation method options available.
    Also I would make sure the 'Lock on Road' is off.

I have not yet seen any info on what the Activity options are to choose from, or how many points per route it can handle in various Activitys.

Please have a go and report back.
    Cheers
    TA.
    OK, firstly thanks for your advice and also cooneyr for your's as well. Both steered me towards what I think is a solution for loading the DB routes on my Garmin Montana 650T.

One has to start by defining a suitable 'Profile'. I created a new Profile for the DB that is based on the 'Classic' Profile in the device. You could probably use the Classic Profile and set that up, but I elected to make a new Profile specifically for the DB, or any other offroad type trips.

Then, for that particular Profile, you 'Setup' the device for what is called 'offroad' on other Garmins. The Montana achieves this 'offroad' status another way as follows: "Main Menu -> Setup -> Routing" leads you to 3 sub-menu settings: Activity, Lock-on-Road, Route Transitions. Set 1. Activity => 'Direct Routing". Set 2. Lock-on-Road => "No". Set 3. Route Transitions => 'Auto'.

That solved my previous problem and the Montana now loads an entire route (e.g. Main A). Now comes a new problem: I can load and do 'Where To' on all four of the 250 point routes but the Montana can only open two of the routes: 'Main A' and 'Main B+Clnge'. The other two routes won't open in the Montana for some reason. However, I think I found a way round this. Namely, in BaseCamp I can convert 'Main A+Chlnge' that is in the Garmin, from a Route to a Track. Then when I do 'Where To' and select Tracks, it displays the entire 'MainA+Chlnge' as a Track which I appear to be able to use the same way as if it was a Route. Any foreseeable issues in doing it this way?

I have documented all the Setup settings for my new DB1k 'Profile' referred to above, and will attempt to attach it to this message. It may be useful to anyone else with a Montana 650. Or, if anyone has better suggestions for settings, I'm always looking for ways to improve things. If the attachment fails to work, I am happy to email it to anyone interested.

Again, thanks for the useful pointers. Much appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-02 Garmin Montana 650T Menu Setup diagram.pdf 
Views:	30 
Size:	448.9 KB 
ID:	275486
    Carpe Diem

Thread Information