Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpig View Post
    OK, firstly thanks for your advice and also cooneyr for your's as well. Both steered me towards what I think is a solution for loading the DB routes on my Garmin Montana 650T.

One has to start by defining a suitable 'Profile'. I created a new Profile for the DB that is based on the 'Classic' Profile in the device. You could probably use the Classic Profile and set that up, but I elected to make a new Profile specifically for the DB, or any other offroad type trips.

Then, for that particular Profile, you 'Setup' the device for what is called 'offroad' on other Garmins. The Montana achieves this 'offroad' status another way as follows: "Main Menu -> Setup -> Routing" leads you to 3 sub-menu settings: Activity, Lock-on-Road, Route Transitions. Set 1. Activity => 'Direct Routing". Set 2. Lock-on-Road => "No". Set 3. Route Transitions => 'Auto'.

That solved my previous problem and the Montana now loads an entire route (e.g. Main A). Now comes a new problem: I can load and do 'Where To' on all four of the 250 point routes but the Montana can only open two of the routes: 'Main A' and 'Main B+Clnge'. The other two routes won't open in the Montana for some reason. However, I think I found a way round this. Namely, in BaseCamp I can convert 'Main A+Chlnge' that is in the Garmin, from a Route to a Track. Then when I do 'Where To' and select Tracks, it displays the entire 'MainA+Chlnge' as a Track which I appear to be able to use the same way as if it was a Route. Any foreseeable issues in doing it this way?

I have documented all the Setup settings for my new DB1k 'Profile' referred to above, and will attempt to attach it to this message. It may be useful to anyone else with a Montana 650. Or, if anyone has better suggestions for settings, I'm always looking for ways to improve things. If the attachment fails to work, I am happy to email it to anyone interested.

Again, thanks for the useful pointers. Much appreciated.
    Attachment 275486
    i may be too late but for all things montana go here

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    I told you mate, too much masturbation and you'll give yourself a hernia... you never listen

Don't thank me till you get the bill, its gonna hurt
    What do you fellas get up to over there in Karamea? Mastibation, hernia's, bills that hurt. Sounds dodgy!
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by pouakai View Post
    Replying to my own post:
    So 14.06 kpl or 7.11 l/100k or 21l for the Alexandra-omarama leg or (12l in the saddle bags !) - on the thirsty side, but I was having fun not nursing it.
    See you Friday!
    P
    Thanks for that. I don't have my own records but had worked out 14 k/l with averaging research. With a 4 l aux tank and a 12 l main will still have to refuel b4 Omarama but it will be comfortable at that point.
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom

Wink 450 EXC fuel economy

I have the 07 450EXC with the 9L tank and got 120k on the main tank and 160k to bone dry during my last adventure ride around St Bathans way (80% gravel, 20% track/trail) I carried another 2L and stretched it out to 200k, riding conservatively during the last 80k.

My son tells me I tend to ride a bit like an old man (mid rather the full revs) i guess he's right, because...well, I am

Cheers
    Skiwi

Bike
    Gone
    Sounds about right. How did you carry the extra 2 litres as a matter of interest? I will (again) be riding conservatively for the same reasons. My son now refers to me as "the old man", a riding companion as "an old guy". Denial does not appear to be successful. Loved a recent quote " depending on the day, either perceived as a middle aged wannabe or a 90 yr old has been"
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    Sounds about right. How did you carry the extra 2 litres as a matter of interest?
    A couple of empty 1L oil bottles, works well, can handle the petrol without breaking down, airtight and fit inside a backpack without any worries.
    Now that I know how far I can go I just add them as soon as I have enough room in the tank so I don't have to carry them.
    Cheers
    Skiwi

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=121Anybody driving down to Fairlie through or from Christchurch and have room for a well behaved yank and a rucksack?
    SpeedoJosh on ADV Rider is looking for a lift to the DB1k.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    DRZ 400E / Gas Gas Pampera / CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=121Anybody driving down to Fairlie through or from Christchurch and have room for a well behaved yank and a rucksack?
    a well behaved yank ?

- sounds like the Karamea handshake to me!

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Yes - will be in ChCh for Fri morning and can take all sorts of stuff in my ute through to Fairlie & Alexandra (incl Yanks).
    Who do I contact?
    XF

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Anyone going to the DB from down South who may have room on a trailer for a XR250 from Alexandra ?
    Trying to get it there for a "well behaved Yank"

Cheers
    Skiwi

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwi View Post
    Anyone going to the DB from down South, Cheers
    Skiwi
    Off-spring & I are, but we leaving tomorrow for CHCH then do'n the CHCH Fairlie run on Friday

not much help toya!!! but thought I'd tell ya that cya Friday night
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post
    Off-spring & I are, but we leaving tomorrow for CHCH then do'n the CHCH Fairlie run on Friday

Take the bike to Fairlie and drop it on the way through? You going up SH1 or SH8 (Lindis)?
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post

Hmm, any chance of taking it or Chch, so SpeedoJosh could ride it down?

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwi View Post
    Hmm, any chance of taking it or Chch, so SpeedoJosh could ride it down?
    sorry Skiwi, we're riding up, other wise it would not have been a problem, but I do have a trailer you can borrow if ring 03 204 8780 before 8:am today & I'll get mrs Shrek (Kathy) to bring it in to Alex
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Guys, is this forecast for real that I just read?

Heavy rain is again expected to hit the South Island.
    Moving in late tomorrow and for much of the weekend, torrential rain is predicted for the West Coast of the South Island, the Southern Alps, Fiordland and Lakes and rivers in Otago and Canterbury.
    Strong winds should also be expected to last throughout the weekend in Southland, Clutha and Dunedin.

I hope not for the Dusty Butt, surely not...

Thread Information