Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    Ducatis,Ktms
    Quote Originally Posted by brp View Post
    Just got home after bearing failing just out of Fairlie - gutted but lucky didn't happen in the boonies or at speed.

Fortunate to meet a farmer who did a temporary fix to get me home.

Had a good time on the 680 K's did yesterday - cheers Matt for organizing the sheep station runs And R for the Dusty - cracker meal last night

Good to put some faces to usernames ...
    Gutted for you! I was looking forward tic catching up with you tonight. What an awesome day !
    P

Bike
    Ducatis,Ktms
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post

better go put my number plate back on!
    You know where yours is ?
    Mine succumbed to the mighty Awakino - much to the vexation of the nasty popo who pinged me for 59 in Alex !
    P

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by pouakai View Post
    You know where yours is ?
    Mine succumbed to the mighty Awakino - much to the vexation of the nasty popo who pinged me for 59 in Alex !
    P
    We came through the Awakino about 2 hours behind you guys, I never saw your number plate but funnily enough mine rattled off (still have about 3cm of it under the bolts) on the same stretch of track

Passed a drowned KTM left beside the river and will going back today to recover a drowned Yamaha (another story that will be embellished over a few ), I was pleasantly surprised we didn't pick up any punctures as some of those pointy rocks made a few of the hill climbs pretty knarly.

must have been in bed when we got into Alex just on dark.

SpeedoJosh had dropped off the XR250 and its not too bad, a bit of a heave with a crow bar , new mirror, wash and a play with a multimeter to find out why the digital dash is blank and it'll be fine
    Sorry I didn't get to meet him to poke some borax at his riding skills, but I reckon I'll make do with a forum based roasting

Bike
    xr650
    Cheerz all for the "condolences"

DR650 Tango - be to much bike for me .....

The bearing were those cheap ass All Bearing Racing that some bike shops seem to supply - guy on KTM his bearing went after just hitting the Waimak on way down - and thought the shop had put in All Bearing Racing too - seem to not like even the "sniff" of water - will just goto bearing shop next time.

Coming out of the second sheep station on way down to Fairlie (bout 30k from mayfield) two guys were sitting in a fulton hogan truck as we rounded the corner - they had dug a square edged ditch (Like for their amusement) - costly for many - shoshini bent both rims on the DR - front one to the point he wont need to break the bead to get the tyre off. Pete-blen another bent rim and blown fork seal.

Drowned bikes on one river we crossed on the fourth sheep station, not the best sight bikes lying on their side as a river that normally runs at a 3 but is now 27 "runs" over the top of them ...

Adventure riding alright

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Sounds like I wouldn't have enjoyed it at all...

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Re the Fulton Hogan drain diggers, If the drain or trench was anywhere on part of the road itself and there were no roadworks/ speed restriction signs up then they are liable for any damage caused by it. If it was fully signed up then its up to Drivers/Riders to obey them and use a bit of common sence.
    Sorry to sound blunt but I work for a Company that does road maint. If there were no signs then youve got them by the short and curlies.
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    xr650
    Been breeze for ya nordie - was good stuff.

Pretty sure there were road cones ?

All and all happy with the wealthy experience gained, meet nice folk, was humbled by the generosity of complete strangers - from the stranger at the gas station on the ktm990 who offered to lend me some money when I thought I had lost my wallet - Big Ups dude ! PM me if the transfer did not go through ok.

To the two Fairlie locals, one who took my bike on the back of his ute to his mates place, his mate was a mechanic before a farmer and punched the bearing out, rang Timaru Honda, took me all the way into Timaru, got the bearing (unfortunately didn't carry one of the seals) Installed the bearing.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Via CooneyR...

Kiwi ingenuity, even though I don't see any #8 wire anywhere at all...

11:45 today...
    Poor Yamahaha getting seen too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130120_111528.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	276671

I recognise most of those weirdos...

Underground, ???, Shrek, Whatastoner, The Boy, TrialsRider, TerryBro

Name:	20130120_111543.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	276672

Bike
    DR650SE L4
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipukbiker View Post
    Re the Fulton Hogan drain diggers, If the drain or trench was anywhere on part of the road itself and there were no roadworks/ speed restriction signs up then they are liable for any damage caused by it. If it was fully signed up then its up to Drivers/Riders to obey them and use a bit of common sence.
    Sorry to sound blunt but I work for a Company that does road maint. If there were no signs then youve got them by the short and curlies.
    Have the incident on video no signs or cones to show that there was damage across the road.
    Look liked a ford except the shape didn't look natural looked to square like it had been dug up. The Fulton Hogan truck with the digger on the back was parked on road not far ahead not sure why they were there though.

I pulled out just before Waimate and headed home bike was to hard to handle and I didn't want to come off and hurt myself.
    Next time I know not to take so much stuff.

Thanks to Ryan and Matt for organizing the rides had a blast and also thanks Shrek for the meal

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    if the work involved takes less than 10 minutes then no signage is required, BUT, We only ever do this when there is good visibility both ways, if not then some sort of warning at the apex of the nearest corners like a work vehicle with its beacon going or someone standing there. Good on ya for the video, My first thing would be to ring the local council for that area because they let the contracts for the road repairs and their roading engineer is responsible for regulation compliance for all their contractors.

If correct signage has been used, The contractor takes over legal ownership of the stretch of road between the signs and they are legaly responsible for the safety of all people who use that piece of road. If there were no signs then the local council is fully responsible for the condition of the road.

Good Luck
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Only a few pics this year as I was involved with running the Southern Rider Rally. These are all from the Thompson's creek crossing. If anyone wants a high definition copy, just drop me a pm with your email address. Help in identifying the riders would also be appreciated.

Photo 1. Whatastoner

Photo 2. Bushy and ?

Photo 3. Bushy and ?

Photo 4.

Photo 5.
    Last edited by Jantar; 22nd January 2013 at 12:11.
    Time to ride

Bike
    2005 KTM 950 Adventure

Lost bits and bobs

Hi everyone,

Thanks heaps for helping me fix the orange beast up on the Lammormoor Range.

If anyone's picked up a Scottoiler or a green bag with some food and a water bladder, would you mind letting me know? I'll happily pay for postage and a pint.

Ryan, great job organising the ride.

Hope everybody got home safe and sound.

Cheers

Bike
    Yamaha DT230

Josh's saga

Early Sat morn I got the call that Speedo Josh had binned & of course my main concern was for the gear I had lent him.
    Found him only 10km's into the ride - he was in agony but pic with skid comes first:

Name:	P1180005.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	894.6 KB 
ID:	276712
    Loaded bike & rider for high speed trip to Timaru hospital, which would have to be quickest trip that wee XR250 had ever done. Xray shows ball joint well out of socket:

Name:	P1180009.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	772.5 KB 
ID:	276713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIGHT SHOULDER 0001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	276714
    The Yank got yanked by a lovely nurse & bingo, it popped back in (although I got the impression she was hanging on for longer than was necessary):

Name:	P1180010.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	788.8 KB 
ID:	276715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIGHT SHOULDER POST REDUCTION 0001.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	276716

Bike
    Yamaha DT230

Speedo Josh cont..

Once discharged we headed to Alex via some of the country that he wouldn't now get to ride (just to rub it in):

Name:	P1180013.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	851.9 KB 
ID:	276719
    Sunday I put him to work, here demonstrating that he only needs one good arm to pour gas:

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	276723
    First riders to the Moa Creek Pub:

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	591.2 KB 
ID:	276724
    Woodman can explain:

Name:	IMG_0888.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	504.0 KB 
ID:	276725
    Mr Dusty Butt Ryan & his wing man Carl:

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	639.1 KB 
ID:	276726

DB was from a different perspective for me this year but still very enjoyable.
    Congratulations to all the riders. Great skills & well done.
    Now lets see some actual DB ride reports.
    XF

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom

Thumbs up

When i heard Josh had dropped my bike i just went as my mates reminded me "I told you so" about loaning my bike to a complete stranger sight unseen. But, I reckon as long as he "pays it forward" its all good.

PS: XS650 Thanks for dropping off the bike, I wasn't looking forward to the trip to collect it

Thread Information