Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Shrek rode a lowered DR650 over the Awakino last year.

That bike deserves an award

Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Yes the bike never quite recovered from being wrecked I mean Shreked

I am sure it is lower now than before!!
    well mrs S said it's still to tall

any way moving on nothing to do with this years DB1k
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Just arrived back…

Great kick-off with the prerun, cheers Matt

Best DB1K so far, superb meal on the Friday night, weather was great, riding conditions were fantastic, made really good times through all the challenges and finished both days under 12 hours with plenty of coffee, grub and yarn breaks. Other than 1 puncture and a couple of minor things there were no major mechanical or rider issues in our crew, had a really smooth run all in all.

Over the two days I had a great time meeting lots of new NI and SI riders and catching up with those I haven’t seen in a while.

Other than 5 ˝ hours of riding in the rain from Karamea to Chch to kick off, I have since had pretty much sunshine, warm and still days for basically 2 weeks of outstanding riding and fishing. Have got over 1,800 photos, various GoPro footage and GPX files to work through which will go up soon.

Cheers again Ryan, I can think of no other way of getting about 4 kilograms of dust in your face, up your nose and in your mouth and still be having a blast. See you all again on the DB1K 2014…

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    I had to make some repairs to mountie's subframe ready for his trip back up north......tidy bit of engineering we think.
    DB plus Matt's ride etc is tough on a bike with luggage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06837.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	277790

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    I had to make some repairs to mountie's subframe ready for his trip back up north......tidy bit of engineering we think.
    see yer gone hi-tec replaceing the 8 gauge wire & bailing twine with cable ties....
    Last edited by Gremlin; 3rd February 2013 at 10:35. Reason: Quoted Embedded Media Removed
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    see yer gone hi-tec replaceing the 8 gauge wire & bailing twine with cable ties....
    nah, its just that it was only a KTM....not really worth using the good stuff on.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Better make sure KTM don't see that, they might allocate a part number and put out a service bulletin

Have you given it a warranty?
    Last edited by Gremlin; 3rd February 2013 at 13:21. Reason: Quoted Embedded Media Removed
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    R100GSPD
    apart from the challenge sections is the route all public...ie could i run the course at some time in the future outside the realm of the DB1K weekend?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    There is both challenge and main route on private permission required land, I know most of which is which but to be sure on this one you'll be needing more form the man, but most the public easy access stuff is on Adv Routes and Adventure Guide sites.
    Serpintine Challenge is public access, Awakino is not, some of the stuff after Waimatie/before Kurow is also private but there are normal gravel roads than can be used to go around those bits to keep it semi interesting. Omarama Saddle when I first did it we needed to seek permission, now days seems like we don't. Black Forest is a toll road with locked gates and permission required.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    There is both challenge and main route on private permission required land, I know most of which is which but to be sure on this one you'll be needing more form the man, but most the public easy access stuff is on Adv Routes and Adventure Guide sites.
    Serpintine Challenge is public access, Awakino is not, some of the stuff after Waimatie/before Kurow is also private but there are normal gravel roads than can be used to go around those bits to keep it semi interesting. Omarama Saddle when I first did it we needed to seek permission, now days seems like we don't. Black Forest is a toll road with locked gates and permission required.
    Cheers T/A might get in touch with Ryan

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Interestingly enough you can do half the Awakino Challenge by not doing the Awakino bit, at the Nasby end of Dansys Pass you can go in on the Mt Buster Track and where that ends is at the half way mark of the Awakino Challenge where it technically turns on to the Johnstone Creek track.
    I actually think the Johnstones Creek bit is cooler than the Awakino Skifield end anyway. It's wetter too.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2008 BMW 800GS,2004 KTM 640E
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Better make sure KTM don't see that, they might allocate a part number and put out a service bulletin

Have you given it a warranty?
    Just heard from KTM because the bike made it out of the sounds and back to the mount with the engineering and sub frame no worse off they now want to make all their sub frames out of timber. Uderground to be the chief design engineer. Wouldnt be surprised if you dont see this sort of engineering on the moto gp bikes this year.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Omarama Saddle when I first did it we needed to seek permission, now days seems like we don't. Black Forest is a toll road with locked gates and permission required.
    A majority of that area is now under DOC control (not private leasehold) ... with park/reserve status. With vehicle access to this area from near the Danseys pass summit (Nasby side) as well (Might be worth investigating that too).

As I understand from those that have anything to do with that area (DOC staff I mean) ... access is "under review". A watch this space type status.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Ducatis,Ktms

Dusty photos...

I haven't used 'Garmin adventures' before but I wanted to paste my photos against a map and it seemed to fit the bill. It's quite neat on the computer you can get a 'fly through' on you track stopping to look at the photos you took as you go. Once published online you don't get the cool fly through any longer which is a shame but it may come as Garmin develop the web interface more. Other problem for this ride is that 'Adventures' is conceived of as a way share a whole adventure package (WPs, tracks, photos, notes, etc) but in the case of this ride the track/route files need to be protected which may well render Adventures inappropriate for sharing the experience but not the route files. Anyone used it enough to know if downloads can be disabled ?

Cheers all,
    P
    Last edited by pouakai; 3rd February 2013 at 21:20. Reason: removed link to protected files

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Most of the photos I took are from after the Dusty, I spent too much time enjoying the DB1K to take photos this year, but there is some good GoPro footage to come

Full ride report here

A few photos below from Matts ride and the DB1K:

Full ride report here

Bike
    1994 BMW R1100GS

More Pics

Hi Guys,

we have finally returned to good old cold and wet Germany; the bike is probably still lingering in its crate somewhere in CHCH waiting for the sail home.

Thanks for letting me take part in this awesome ride!

I put some pics from the ride on our travel blog http://betriebsfarbe.wordpress.com/db1k-pictures/

Still have to check the vids, let's see if there's some good stuff on. Gonna let you know.

Oli

Thread Information