Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    orange 9fiddy&4fiddy
    thanks AL..,me riding buddys got a dr 6fiddy so we'll be flying

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by michael e View Post
    howdy boys,how many km's of the 1000 are actually at around 90 to 100km's an hour?...
    do i realy need to gear up me scooter to do those kind of speeds,just to later struggle like fuk and burn me clutch out on the river beds for the sake of some comfy open road speeds?......just asking!!!
    Just checked and see you are on your 450 EXC. I too run a 450 EXC (05 model). I'm lucky enough to have two rear wheels, a 45 tooth on a cush drive a LC4 wheel) and a 49 tooth on the original solid hub. I run the cush drive wheel so am on 13/45 gearing. I don't have any problem on the challenge sections (can easily do steepest bits in first) but very nice to have comfortable revs on the gravel and seal. The 13/49 is OK on the seal (the rev's are fine) and it does lower gearing for off road but no real nead.

Another thing to consider - the challenge loops are really only challenges for the typical ADV bikes i.e. DR650, KLR650, GS's, KTM adventures etc. On a EXC the challenge loops are really just a mild trail ride (hell even done a few knarly trail rides on the 13/45).

In short - gear for the seal and fast gravel and you'll be sweet.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    orange 9fiddy&4fiddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Just checked and see you are on your 450 EXC. I too run a 450 EXC (05 model). I'm lucky enough to have two rear wheels, a 45 tooth on a cush drive a LC4 wheel) and a 49 tooth on the original solid hub. I run the cush drive wheel so am on 13/45 gearing. I don't have any problem on the challenge sections (can easily do steepest bits in first) but very nice to have comfortable revs on the gravel and seal. The 13/49 is OK on the seal (the rev's are fine) and it does lower gearing for off road but no real nead.

Another thing to consider - the challenge loops are really only challenges for the typical ADV bikes i.e. DR650, KLR650, GS's, KTM adventures etc. On a EXC the challenge loops are really just a mild trail ride (hell even done a few knarly trail rides on the 13/45).

In short - gear for the seal and fast gravel and you'll be sweet.

Cheers R
    hey thanks cooneyr..i do a lot of trail rides running 13/50 and thats perfectfor our part of the country.
    just currently running 14/50 and think i may run that..next one to try is 15/50..thank for info looking foward to the ride

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    WR is so close to being done now, just added the mega tool tube, grab strap up front and been messing with windscreen sizes and mounting options. Tape works well but is messy and the Velcro is not holding so well. The WR doesn't have as big a front panel as the DR400/650's this design was originally done for in the Youtube links Nordie called our attention to so kind of looking like not enough contact area for the hook/loops to work well. May put 2 to 4 screws in the bike and do a hole/slot slip on arrangement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012DecWR0.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	274739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012DecWR1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	274740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012DecWR2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	274741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012DecWR3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	274742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012DecWR4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	274743  
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    WR is so close to being done now, just added the mega tool tube
    Looking good mate, what's the quality of the tool tube like?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    WR is so close to being done now, just added the mega tool tube, grab strap up front and been messing with windscreen sizes and mounting options. Tape works well but is messy and the Velcro is not holding so well. The WR doesn't have as big a front panel as the DR400/650's this design was originally done for in the Youtube links Nordie called our attention to so kind of looking like not enough contact area for the hook/loops to work well. May put 2 to 4 screws in the bike and do a hole/slot slip on arrangement.
    I used bolts with nylocks.

Have you tried it with the GoPro chest mount yet?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I used bolts with nylocks.

Have you tried it with the GoPro chest mount yet?
    Without trying it I already know from dirty DR650 windscreen experience that the only way that the Gopro with chest mount will work in this case is if the chest mount is strapped to the windscreen instead of me.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    Looking good mate, what's the quality of the tool tube like?
    Quality seems ok, mounted it on a bit of steel bar bolted to footpeg mount and helmet lock mount. It was a bit saggy/wobbly like that so added some large hose clamps to pull it toward the frame and now it feels pretty stable. The smaller normal Tool Tube would maybe fit and look better but I wanted a big one. Have to use the small one on the Transalp to fit the gap behind the left pannier rack.

Bike
    800XC

eek

strapped to the windscreen instead of me.
    Why would you strap yourself to the windscreen TA? - Is it a new type of safety thing??

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Without trying it I already know from dirty DR650 windscreen experience that the only way that the Gopro with chest mount will work in this case is if the chest mount is strapped to the windscreen instead of me.
    You could stand up...

Oh, you were. Sorry...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    You funny people

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    You could stand up...

Oh, you were. Sorry...

Hey Nordie you wont see any scares on our foreheads, not tall enough to hit anything.

BTW what is the oxygen like at you altitude
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    2012 660 Tenere
    yea no more work for the year

This will be my last ride on the KTM as after the dusty its allready sold Time to move onto my next bike project
    (All i can say is that its a SUZUKI _______)

Hope everyone has a good xmas and see you all at the start
    Contact me for all your Suzuki DRZ400 And Dr650 bash plate needs. Made to order

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Just back from my main shakedown run, 952km in 48 hours on the WR from lunch time Friday to lunchtime Sunday.
    Good test of gear and start to getting some endurance in to those bike riding muscles, you know, the ones that only ever get sore with a big ride. Need to get some more endurance built up to make the DB1K enjoyable as the Dusty has less seal to do than I just did being that I highwayed from ChCh to Karamea for the first leg of my ride to meet up with ADVGD,Crim & PeachVW to do the Mackley/Braeburn/Porika and then Chris for the Rainbow/Mailing/Edwards.
    Got a pair of wet weather pants for Crim there on top of my tail bag, he can use those to replace the ones he lost while leaving Edwards Pass this morning.
    Will not be carrying a sleeping bag for the dusty so that will free up a pannier for the stuff that was in the tail bag so I can leave the tail bag at home for the big one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HomeSafeWR250Loaded.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	274936  

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Just back from my main shakedown run,
    So are happy with how the e12's went? did they stay in place well for you?

cheers r
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Thread Information