Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirt trackracing in NZ?

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMSec View Post
    ....see how hard it is OP, to try and compete for track time or interest from speedway types...cant get a look in for the overiding interest in 'cars'...we used to play on country speedways a lot...sometimes we got rocks thrown at us by tintop fuckwits who reckoned we were stealing their track time...
    Haha. To be fair we also made a special trip to see Ivan Mauger when he brought out Ole Olsen and a few other guns. They were farkin' brilliant too, and the stands were absolutely chockers so there was no lack of interest from the average punter.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ....they were good days...Maugers Troupe were our absolute heroes 45 years or so back in time...Templeton Speedway was so chocker with people on a saturday night...I never ever thought back then that one day in the future the same heroes would become acquaintances and friends...our flat track travelling show got to play with a bunch of world champ and euro champ Scandinavians when they came down on a busmans holiday to NZ a lot of years ago...we were a bit in awe of them, they thought we were crazies with big balls...funny ole life..

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    ...every paddock will be of a different nature...yank flat track is run on 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and mile tracks, they must also do a tt which has a right turn and a jump...if you can get a paddock and a few bucks you can have a flat track...good luck...

No luck required as it's already being done NZ Vintage style.

Get yourself an old dunger as theres no need for all that flash malarky and fill your boots up on good old fashioned white knuckle racing...1st pic is a class winning old Piston Eater 400,pic's 2,3 & 4 have a Can-Am and a 73 CR250 roosting some poor bastard on a TS400 of all things.

Addictive fun and cheap too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMX Final Rd 2011-12. DW..jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	259913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Rd VMX 2012.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	259914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMX Final Rd 2011-12.Wanganui.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	259915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMX Final Rd 2011-12.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	259916  

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post

Get yourself an old dunger as theres no need for all that flash malarky and fill your boots up on good old fashioned white knuckle racing...1st pic is a class winning old Piston Eater 400,pic's 2,3 & 4 have a Can-Am and a 73 CR250 roosting some poor bastard on a TS400 of all things.

Great pic's!! Haven't heard "Piston Eater" in decades, haha, thanks for that. Hmmm, looks like a shit load of fun but I'm even worse at chook chasin' than poofy road racing, so even the mankiest ol' one legged Rhode Island Red will out run me.....

Bike
    less than I used to have

...couldn't agree more, but the OP did mention 'Yank style'...and cheapo knobblied up dirt bikes on a rugged dirt paddock is more kiwi style tt...all good fun...not strictly flat-track racing....

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Great pic's!! Hmmm, looks like a shit load of fun but I'm even worse at chook chasin' than poofy road racing, so even the mankiest ol' one legged Rhode Island Red will out run me.....
    Mate that's what gaffa tape was invented for.
    Trust me when I say that it gives you the same buzz as roadracing only more affordable and less crying.

...couldn't agree more, but the OP did mention 'Yank style' flat-track racing....
    We don't need no steenking yankees!

A mate Gavin who normally hangs out in the adventure section on KB tried to organise a flat track race but lack of numbers curtailed it in the end.
    However he did find out that the owner of a private speedway track located between Bulls and Ohakea airbase was more than willing to let him run a meet and his only stipulation was the use of a trials type rear tyre and no front brakes otherwise anything goes.But this was for vintage mx bikes so not sure of moderns.

Ivan you should give him a bell and enquire.Its a great venue as there is area enough to camp out and a bar on site to boot.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...some mates flat-trackers, this was a crew from out near Akaroa way...we raced regularly at a half dozen SI speedways and our own track...there were a couple of other teams that turned up and we had some fair old ding dong battles...

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    ...some mates flat-trackers, this was a crew from out near Akaroa way...we raced regularly at a half dozen SI speedways and our own track...there were a couple of other teams that turned up and we had some fair old ding dong battles...
    It must of been one hell of a riot punting those beasts around a track...you southern boys and your fourstrokes.

But they must of been some good sessions that inspired the yammy v twin.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ..the XV was a bit of a handful, it was not what I would have chosen to be my FT bike of choice, but it was cheap at the time...had just done an off road excursion through a fence and was laid up, down near the beach and the fella didn't really like bikes anymore...it had salt crystals as big as your fist growing out of the exhaust ports...it took me a few laps and made my sphincter work overtime before I mastered some kind of technique....fucking good fun though...it busted more bones than any other form of idiocy I have ever tried before or since...the other bikes were not far behind in not being the most ideal competition machinery...but it was about cheap thrills...the CB350 was a giant killer...

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Haha, lets see KR or BRM do some ride reviews on those jiggers!

Bike
    Various things

Yeah I for one can't wait to get back out there. Gonna be YZ465 armed as well as RM400T! Plus Rach's CR is on the water now.

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Haha, lets see KR or BRM do some ride reviews on those jiggers!
    Haha you could imagine the review..."where's the electric starter?"

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Yeah I for one can't wait to get back out there. Gonna be YZ465 armed as well as RM400T! Plus Rach's CR is on the water now.
    Three very tasty bikes I must say mate.How is Rach getting on with the lounge room bike build...any updates?

Johnny Old Vintage meet coming up on the 31st March,I know it's a workday for you but it is a fantastic track and worth a sickie.

Bike
    Various things
    Three very tasty bikes I must say mate.How is Rach getting on with the lounge room bike build...any updates?

Johnny Old Vintage meet coming up on the 31st March,I know it's a workday for you but it is a fantastic track and worth a sickie.
    Cheers mate. The 400T is such a mess...we've replaced just about every part of the original. Only the nuts and bolts, electrics (and they may even be fucked yet), rear wheel and swingarm left from the bike. But whilst we're not going for the brand new 'restored' look...it should be a good race bike. I won't have a bike in time for the Johnny Olds fuck it all...but I have swung the day off so I'll be out there watching and drooling.

Bike
    Suzuki GS550 1978
    Ivan, PM sent.

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    cheers will contact you back

I was thinking something along the lines of flat track bikes so harleys etc if there are any about a modern 450 class etc
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Thread Information