Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dirt trackracing in NZ?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...more FT pics from SI...Ellesmere Speedway Flat Track Fun Day...

/IMG>

/IMG>

/IMG>

/IMG>

/IMG>

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...found some more vid of us playing our game...

Bike
    1981 Yamaha SR/TT 500
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Flattrack was fairly big in Auckland when Bryce Subritzky started what was called the Stock Bike class at Rosebank Speedway in around 1977/78 - basically any stock framed bike, practically the only rules were no brakes, no knobs, and a 750cc limit. I remember the first few meetings, it was pretty popular and all sorts of bikes turned up - I took my Rickman out, disconnected the brakes and took my baffles out, rode it home again. There were up to 25 bikes on track !!! Sleepy Tripp the midget driver came down, borrowed a bike and went out wearing a T shirt - he went down in front of the pack and they ran over him. Then they split it up, but still a dozen bikes out there.

It became a very popular class and there were other tracks where they rode - I know there was the Outlaw track at Meremere, and one at Kumeu...and I know they went to other tracks as well. I got the Rosebank guys to come and race at our dirttrack on Waiheke Island when we got bikes onto the car dirttrack. But by the early '90's it was all over. I think one of the main reasons was cost. When Bryce first started the class it was to get guys out on the track, and they just dragged anything out of the shed - a much cheaper way to get into the sport than the whole speedway bike thing. But in the end people were using modern MX and enduro bikes in flattrack - it became very expensive. Why spend 10 grand to be competitive in flattrack, when you could get an old 2 valve for a couple of grand and do real speedway.

Owl Morris is a member here, and he wrote the Stock Bike rules in the MNZ rule book. You can see some old flattrack stuff on his website. http://owlmorris-ttsr500.4t.com/catalog_3.html
    Bit late now but it is owlmorris.com/catalog_3.html now

Have you got used to the K180's yet ? I've got them on the R65 now, not impressed with them in the gravel, the K70's had far more grip. Good in the seal though. I think I've finally grown up, no more testosterone....and lack the ability to toss it in deep, nail it just deal with what happens. I suspect if I did then the K180 would be there for me.

Now you are a man of leisure...if I have some free time in Auckland, I'll curb my desire to get out as fast as I can. Or maybe at the Meremere track....

Bike
    1981 Yamaha SR/TT 500
    I've been having a play on my Flattracker on the vintage Speedway Club track at Meremere. No racing, just trying not to fall off. I go out with a couple of Solos and we try to stay out of each others way. Sixty three year old bodies don't bounce like they used to.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	295090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM13.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	295091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-10-13 mm 1 008 a.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	829.6 KB 
ID:	295092

Bike
    1981 Yamaha SR/TT 500
    Have you got used to the K180's yet ? I've got them on the R65 now, not impressed with them in the gravel, the K70's had far more grip. Good in the seal though. I think I've finally grown up, no more testosterone....and lack the ability to toss it in deep, nail it just deal with what happens. I suspect if I did then the K180 would be there for me.

Now you are a man of leisure...if I have some free time in Auckland, I'll curb my desire to get out as fast as I can. Or maybe at the Meremere track....
    Shit, that was quick. Um K180s great on dry clay, slithery and fall off if too wet. I'm suffering badly from roadrace syndrome, every time it steps out I scream HIGH SIDE and shut off. Out again this Sunday should be a good meeting they are having a V8 60 day.

I reckon the K180 would've been exceptional on the nasty hardpack clay Waiheke dirt track. The cars would make a 10 ft wide blue groove,I had more lean angle with the TS/TM400 than I've ever done on seal. I used a trials tyre on the rear, and a speedway rear on the front. This sunday....hmmm.

Bike
    Husky
    Flattrack was fairly big in Auckland when Bryce Subritzky started what was called the Stock Bike class at Rosebank Speedway in around 1977/78 - basically any stock framed bike, practically the only rules were no brakes, no knobs, and a 750cc limit. I remember the first few meetings, it was pretty popular and all sorts of bikes turned up - I took my Rickman out, disconnected the brakes and took my baffles out, rode it home again. There were up to 25 bikes on track !!! Sleepy Tripp the midget driver came down, borrowed a bike and went out wearing a T shirt - he went down in front of the pack and they ran over him. Then they split it up, but still a dozen bikes out there.

It became a very popular class and there were other tracks where they rode - I know there was the Outlaw track at Meremere, and one at Kumeu...and I know they went to other tracks as well. I got the Rosebank guys to come and race at our dirttrack on Waiheke Island when we got bikes onto the car dirttrack. But by the early '90's it was all over. I think one of the main reasons was cost. When Bryce first started the class it was to get guys out on the track, and they just dragged anything out of the shed - a much cheaper way to get into the sport than the whole speedway bike thing. But in the end people were using modern MX and enduro bikes in flattrack - it became very expensive. Why spend 10 grand to be competitive in flattrack, when you could get an old 2 valve for a couple of grand and do real speedway.

Owl Morris is a member here, and he wrote the Stock Bike rules in the MNZ rule book. You can see some old flattrack stuff on his website. http://owlmorris-ttsr500.4t.com/catalog_3.html
    I believe that was my fathers bike he borrowed. Yamaha SC500. Put a nice dent in the fuel tank.

Thread Information