Thread: Not another 'what bike' thread!

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010

Not another 'what bike' thread!

Now, I love the strom but it's not getting the use that it deserves and I'm still hankering for all that chrome to clean. So I've been looking at bikes like the Suzuki VS1400, the Honda VTX1300 and suchlike. Perhaps the main problem I have is with 'er indoors. She's a cyborg, new knee and hip, so I have to get something she can get on and perhaps more importantly, sit comfortably on. She's not tried to get on the Strom since the new hip and may need a step ladder Most of the cruisers have high passenger pegs ('cos of the pipes) where the Strom has lots of leg room. I've seen one or two with modified pipes that give a longer leg strech, and the rear seat can always be improved. She also loves foot plates. So, who uses a cruiser 2 up? and, given the above considerations, what are your suggestions.

She loves to pillion and don't want her own bike.

There, that should keep you bussy.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by varminter View Post
    Now, I love the strom but it's not getting the use that it deserves and I'm still hankering for all that chrome to clean. So I've been looking at bikes like the Suzuki VS1400, the Honda VTX1300 and suchlike. Perhaps the main problem I have is with 'er indoors. She's a cyborg, new knee and hip, so I have to get something she can get on and perhaps more importantly, sit comfortably on. She's not tried to get on the Strom since the new hip and may need a step ladder Most of the cruisers have high passenger pegs ('cos of the pipes) where the Strom has lots of leg room. I've seen one or two with modified pipes that give a longer leg strech, and the rear seat can always be improved. She also loves foot plates. So, who uses a cruiser 2 up? and, given the above considerations, what are your suggestions.

She loves to pillion and don't want her own bike.

There, that should keep you bussy.

1. Floorboards
    2. Aftermarket seat or repacked seat
    3. Wool skin on the seat
    4. Aftermarket pillion peg extensions
    5. Sissy bar, with a padded backrest
    6. Aftermarket suspension, if needed

That should solve all the problems for the wife that you have said she has.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    take a squizz at the kawasaki concours - I think thats how its spelt!. I have had the chance to take one for a reasonable good ride, what a fantastic bike, incredibly smooth, and I bet the mrs would love the back seat. mayble worth adding to your options if a big sized bike for 2 up rides if what youre after - the stroms are fucking tall!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

Bike
    2012 Victory Highball

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    I owned cruisers for about 11yrs in total, XV1100, VN1500, 1100 California.
    The older style ones have a better leg position for the pillion than a lot of the modern ilk. I am 5ft10, my ex wife is 5ft8 all of the previous bikes were quite comfortable for her room wise. The VN was the 'least' comfortable as it had the modern HD style pussy perch against the full king/queen seat styling of the other two. Compared to standard style bikes the cruisers will be easier to climb aboard due to the low seat height, however one possible down is the seat width, The Guzzi was very cumfy for her, but the Cali's seat is very wide on the pillion perch. I had aftermarket foot boards fitted for the Pillion and a high sissy bar (low back) was standard. The VN I ended up fitting an aftermarket high sissy bar. The Virago left standard, but was the most 'cosy' of the 3 for seating although again cumfy for distances. The Cali and Virago would have an advantage as they had a centre stand fitted.. you could let her climb aboard, then get on yourself with no worry of the bike being unstable..... There are European companies (germany) that produce centre stands for bikes that dont have them standard... I'm getting one for the MT.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Suzuki RF600R
    VN 1500 Vulcan or M109 is worth a look..

I just sold my heritage softail and my wife had no worries or complaints and she is only 5' 2 getting on or off it.
    Gel seat is a good upgrade

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by varminter View Post
    She's not tried to get on the Strom since the new hip and may need a step ladder
    That is a HUGE first step up speaking from a short arse perspective.

But, if the leg bend ergonomics fit her on the Strom, it might pay to consider this. It is something we talked about but never investigated. Create a lower second layer peg to step up onto, and then leg over. Get some smart engineer to make you a peg that attaches on the same mount but that is xxx much lower than standard, leave the standard height peg in place on the same mount.

Make it a comfortable step up for your lovely lady. Should not be too much of a problem for you to reach around with your right hand and help her swing her leg over by groping her bum, or other close body part She can then simply put her leg up on the "proper" peg and enjoy the ride

Just a crazy thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    My thanks to you all for your input, there is plenty here for me to think about. Ta guys & gals.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Thread Information