Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LAMS approved bikes

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sleemanj View Post
    Entirely depends on the size of said jet engine (and your specific definition of jet engine).

A pulse jet probably ain't gonna get you much except angry deaf neighbours. Sure would be cool though. Whap whap whap whap.
    Well, a 150kw/tonne limit specifically takes into consideration both power and weight ...

Bike
    SV 650 Race bike, ZZR 250 in pieces
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I would prefer it to walking ....
    Yea, and the public transport system. It's killing me at the moment. I meant if you had a choice, like Bassmatt does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Actually rides really nicely for what it is..........so they tell me
    Friend really likes hers as well, just don't like the look of them.
    Rest in peace Tony - you will be missed.

my 1st road bike was a 1000cc,

and i was fine.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    my 1st road bike was a 1000cc,

and i was fine.
    So what caused the massive deteriation after that then ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    All of them
    A number of Aus lams approved bikes are 'restricted'. Particularly the 650s
    They drill holes in the carburetor slides so they suck air instead of fuel at full throttle - thus decreasing the horsepower. Or they re-map the efi machines.

Part of the deal when buying one for a fully licensed rider - like my KLR650 - is to negotiate to have the holes bogged up or remapped as part of the purchase.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Interesting:

That list states
    All motorcycles with engine capacities of 0 – 260cc are approved under LAMS with the exception of the following models:
    ...which includes, amongst a few others, the NSR250.

The next section then states
    The following motorcycles with engine capacities of 261 – 660cc are approved under LAMS.

These motorcycles must be in standard form as produced by the manufacturer. Any motorcycle modified in a way that increases its power-to-weight ratio is not LAMS approved regardless of whether it appears on the list

Presumably an NS250R (MC11) is an approved learner machine, as it is 0-260cc, not modified and not an NSR250 or any other bike on the exception list ?

edit: presumably this also allows RDs, RZs, etc?

F M S

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by sleemanj View Post
    A pulse jet probably ain't gonna get you much except angry deaf neighbours. Sure would be cool though. Whap whap whap whap.
    Yeah, you can pick up a surplus V1 engine for next to nothing at a German wreckers...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    Interesting:

That list states

...which includes, amongst a few others, the NSR250.

The next section then states
    Lets take a look at the actual legislation:
    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...LM3956501.html

“approved motorcycle means the make and model of any motorcycle that—

“(a) has an engine capacity of 250 cc or less, unless the Agency has prohibited the use of that make and model of motorcycle by notice published on the Agency's Internet site; or

“(b) has an engine capacity of more than 250 cc but not more than 660 cc and a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 150 kilowatts per tonne and is approved for use by the Agency by notice published on the Agency's Internet site
    So motorcycles can be placed on a prohibited list - and I believe the NSR250 is being placed on that prohibited list.

Bike
    87 Honda VTZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Yeah, you can pick up a surplus V1 engine for next to nothing at a German wreckers...

And not a bike, but DAMN THAT'S LOUD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf63j...feature=fvwrel

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Lets take a look at the actual legislation:
    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...LM3956501.html

So motorcycles can be placed on a prohibited list - and I believe the NSR250 is being placed on that prohibited list.
    Was that a typo? I expect the NSR will be excluded, but whether they bother to pick up the NS (and possibly RD, RZ also) is another question. If they *copy* this from an existing policy i.e. Oz in this case, there may well be a 'hole' there for these older two-smokers.

Although they could certainly be added down the track, as it were. Ba-doom tish!
    F M S

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Was that a typo? I expect the NSR will be excluded, but whether they bother to pick up the NS (and possibly RD, RZ also) is another question. If they *copy* this from an existing policy i.e. Oz in this case, there may well be a 'hole' there for these older two-smokers.

Although they could certainly be added down the track, as it were. Ba-doom tish!
    No type. It is being placed on the prohibited list - meaning it is excluded. You can be sure they are starting with the Australian list as a base. No point re-inventing the wheel when someone has already worked it out for you.

Plus our legislation is almost identical to theirs.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    No type. It is being placed on the prohibited list - meaning it is excluded. You can be sure they are starting with the Australian list as a base. No point re-inventing the wheel when someone has already worked it out for you.

Plus our legislation is almost identical to theirs.
    Indeed, I'm just pointing out that the NS250R (not the NSR250) isn't excluded....but probably should be.
    F M S

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Interesting:
    It's really simple ...

The maximum power to weight ratio has already been stated. For a motorcycle to exceed that ... means it is not LAMS approved. Regardless of ANY list it may appear on.
    I'm guessing the charge if caught will be the old "riding a motorcycle for which you are unlicenced for". With the appropiate fines and demerits. Piss the cop off with "attitude" .... and it may get impounded as well ...

If you "need" the extra ponies ... make it a sleeper. Attracting the attention of the enforcers can only be bad news ... and expensive.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Yeh, it's like a list of bikes without class, so it should do

I notice the NTV650 deuville and revere are on there, as well as the 400cc bros, but the 647cc bros has too much class, as it should be

the revere must be a fraction heavier maybe.I did one up and changed the bars to thruxton clip ons below the tripple clamp and it felt like you were on a bros.Maybe they have different cam with more mid range and torque.Or was it a 600 my memory is clouded now
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    15 Indian Chief Vintage
    There is a list of approved bikes. I rang Land Transport because I wanted to know if the Buell Blast was on the list..the guy I spoke to emailed the list to me...so it's out there people.....
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead
    Do not walk ahead as I may not follow.
    Do not walk beside me as the path is narrow
    In fact FU*K off and leave me alone

Thread Information