Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LAMS approved bikes

Bike
    2012, H-D, FXDF Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by biker baz View Post
    Come 1 july those wonderful chaps & chapesses at ACC will announce that LAMS approved bikes, which in ltsa's own words are safer to ride, will pay the current 250cc-600cc levy or less Furthermore the repentant criminals that they are...not, will revamp the cc rating structure of acc levys to fairly reflect the new power to weight ratio rules.
    Imagine that possums a 650cc single owner on the list will pay $300 +/- less every year. That is one front tyre or 60 $5 beers. Imagine too the outrage among 100,000 bikers who vote if this does not happen.
    I feel another bikeoi coming on.
    Obviously a learner rider on a LAMs approved 650cc bike is safer than an experienced rider on a 750cc bike. Silly me I thought the learner would be a greater risk. Might be time to buy a Honda
    David
    HD Fat Bob for Stress Relief

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Maybe they will make it more expensive to register scooters, moped and 250cc bikes to properly reflect there higher risk
    Does "revamp" mean increase or decrease ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by biker baz View Post
    Come 1 july those wonderful chaps & chapesses at ACC will announce that LAMS approved bikes, which in ltsa's own words are safer to ride, will pay the current 250cc-600cc levy or less Furthermore the repentant criminals that they are...not, will revamp the cc rating structure of acc levys to fairly reflect the new power to weight ratio rules.
    Imagine that possums a 650cc single owner on the list will pay $300 +/- less every year.
    That would be excellent.

The current situation where my DR650 costs more to register than a GSXR600 is just stupid.

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    That would be excellent.

The current situation where my DR650 costs more to register than a GSXR600 is just stupid.
    Why?

10char

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    IF and I mean IF they decide to go along with the power to weight ratio for the 'LAM's bikes as a basis. Then maybe those of us who dont have the urge for 180+BHP bikes that weigh under 200kg's may actually get a lower Rego cost. That will reflect the lower 'risk' we are to ourselves....... YEAH RIGHT!!!!
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    That would be excellent.

I agree, If I had a GSXR600, I'd be winging it a lot quicker than my XVS650 cruiser. Hence, my safety margin goes down, my risk factor goes up. And that's with 44 years sensible riding ( mostly) to make my judgement calls from.

There's no way I would stick to 'Nana' riding on a 100+hp sportsbike, so I reckon my chances of an accident would increase.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingrob View Post
    Why?

10char
    if you need to ask that, you are clearly retarded

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    if you need to ask that, you are clearly retarded
    So rider 1 is on a gsxr600 commuting to and from work in the city at 50kph, rider 2 is on a dr650 going for blasts on the weekend, taking part in exhilarating off-road trail rides and even hits a few small jumps.

Is it retarded to think both riders could get injured in their own way and be claiming equal amounts from ACC?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    So rider 1 is on a gsxr600 commuting to and from work in the city at 50kph, rider 2 is on a dr650 going for blasts on the weekend, taking part in exhilarating off-road trail rides and even hits a few small jumps.

Is it retarded to think both riders could get injured in their own way and be claiming equal amounts from ACC?
    Where have you been????
    It is cheaper to register a bike less than 600cc than it is a 650.
    Don't bring locic into this. When the fee structure was set up a couple of years ago, logic wasn't used.
    Further more, LAMS approved bikes were already being talked about.... It was a classic case of left hand not talking to right foot.

I am glad to see that there is going to be a revamp in the structure....
    Hell, with a $3.5 billion excess, surely ACC can afford it now??

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    LOL RVF 400. Wonder if we can convince them to let the NC30 on there
    NO!
    The RVF (NC35) Makes it on there as it is slightly heavier and produced less power than the NC30.
    The 150kw/tonne formula was used to determine what was legal and what was not, followed by an application by the importers.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Including KTM's 525 EXC, and a couple similar.

Wonder what contortions the formula underwent to slide those in there...
    They used BigDave as the test rider?

Or KTM used the incorrect figures when making the application.....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    Where have you been????
    It is cheaper to register a bike less than 600cc than it is a 650.
    Don't bring locic into this. When the fee structure was set up a couple of years ago, logic wasn't used.
    Further more, LAMS approved bikes were already being talked about.... It was a classic case of left hand not talking to right foot.

I am glad to see that there is going to be a revamp in the structure....
    Hell, with a $3.5 billion excess, surely ACC can afford it now??
    I was replying to the comment regarding LAMS "The current situation where my DR650 costs more to register than a GSXR600 is just stupid."

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    I was replying to the comment regarding LAMS "The current situation where my DR650 costs more to register than a GSXR600 is just stupid."
    Now you have confused me.
    LAMS doesn't take effect until October 1st....
    The current situation is as it has been for the past few years.

Sorry,, it might be the pills.....

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Unfortunately, the bike insurance industry is similar, when I insured my bike (1670cc) I ended up using Kiwibike insurance, completely different attitude to my preceding insurer. When you talk to the sales rep's or brokers, most have no idea about motorcycle's in general. I was told "oh 1700cc thats powerful"..."no it isnt, its a V twin and low revving. It has half the BHP of a 1000cc+ sprot bike, and is about 100kph slower on top speed"..... "yes but its 1700cc so it has to be powerful"... if you look at europe, cars are put into groups, engine size, ancillary equipment like turbo's etc.... type of car, sports, coupe', family saloon all contribute to the insurance group the car ends up in, with the stepped licence system they have bikes have also been loosely 'grouped now'.. Here, they simply have'nt and probably wont do the same for bikes, they can make more 'revenue' by simply using a cc and value formula to quote you.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    NO!
    The RVF (NC35) Makes it on there as it is slightly heavier and produced less power than the NC30.
    The 150kw/tonne formula was used to determine what was legal and what was not, followed by an application by the importers.
    It is 1kg heavier and quoted power was only 53HP instead of 59HP which isn't quite true

Thread Information