Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School zones, speed and at what times?

Bike
    Suzuki GSR

School zones, speed and at what times?

Hey there

I am finding mixed articles about this. I have my test coming up soon and I usually ride at 40kph outside of a school and at 20kph when passing a parked school bus? Does this sound correct?

Cheers

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Yes it does

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Suzuki GSR
    Thanks Murray. School Zone rule applies between 9 - 3?

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Here in WA, it's 7.30-9am and 2.30 - 4.30 pm.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Good God, here we go again.

The speed limit outside a school is whatever it is normally, unless there is a specific speed limit based on times that are clearly displayed, or one of those posh flashing 40 kmh signs. There's no mystery to it, it's as posted.

The only thing that changes is the tolerance applied by the Police. It's 10 kmh per usual, but it drops to 4 kmh duriong the school hours.

See the times here

https://www.police.govt.nz/service/r...ills-kids.html

On your test, don't exceed the speed limit, and you'll not have an issue. For heavens sake, don't slow to 40 kmh outside a school in a 70 kmh area, unless it's posted as such. Show caution, but slow to 40 unnecessarily and all you'll do it piss people off and fail.

Example of a sign is here

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/cityleisure/g...eedlimits.aspx

Re the school bus, ya gotta slow to 20 going past a school bus that is setting down or picking munchkins up, provided it displays a school sign.

Easy. But often misunderstood.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    What the cat said...

The speed limit is the speed limit, and only changes if notified (flashing signs etc). Some schools for example do not have the boards, so therefore the standard limit applies (highly unlikely you'd achieve that anyway at suburban schools in Auckland).

Yes, 20kph passing school buses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yes, 20kph passing school buses.
    And yes even on open road areas ... Pass a school bus in the act of dropping off/ picking up passengers ... at your usual 100 km/hr ... and a nice policeman may give you 28 days of walking to consider your foolishness ...

With possibly an invitation to meet with a judge.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    And yes even on open road areas ... Pass a school bus in the act of dropping off/ picking up passengers ... at your usual 100 km/hr ... and a nice policeman may give you 28 days of walking to consider your foolishness ...

With possibly an invitation to meet with a judge.
    The nice peoples of Nelson have been discovering it doesn't have to have children, if it has the school signs and is stopped then 20kms

Last Tuesday police parked a school bus on Main Rd Stoke, Tahunanui and Richmond, with the distinctive yellow School Bus signs displayed. They then monitored passing traffic, stopping and talking with any drivers who exceeded the 20kmh speed limit
    Now the wouldn't stop drivers and warn them they had done wrong if they hadn't and Fairfax media wouldn't get something as simple to check as that wrong - would they?

School bus signs

The signs below will be displayed on school buses. If a school bus has stopped to let children on or off, you must slow down and drive at 20km/h or less until you are well past the bus, no matter what direction you are coming from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school-bus-signs-all.gif 
Views:	1 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	270625
    School bus signs

Note: you may also see ‘Kura’, the Māori word for school, on a bus.
    So FJRider is right and the news report gives the wrong spin. Why can't you trust these peoples any more?
    Last edited by oneofsix; 25th September 2012 at 21:40. Reason: images I hope
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    So FJRider is right and the news report gives the wrong spin. Why can't you trust these peoples any more?
    If those drivers stopped had said they could see the bus was not picking up or setting down school children ... the police could do nothing. As I understand ... only warnings were given in Nelson.

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If those drivers stopped had said they could see the bus was not picking up or setting down school children ... the police could do nothing. As I understand ... only warnings were given in Nelson.
    True, and I agree most drivers (98% FFS) wouldn't know what speed to pass a school bus stopped for kids at but the article does give the impression that any bus with the school sign has to be passed at 20k when it is stopped. Actually apart from the reporting by the wonderful media I think the police effort is worthy of one of Rustus's good will public education events.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Easy. But often misunderstood.
    It ain't made any easier by bloody schools like one of my locals that has signs up saying "school zone, slow down". This in an 80k rural main road. So what the fuck are we supposed to make of that?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    True, and I agree most drivers (98% FFS) wouldn't know what speed to pass a school bus stopped for kids at but the article does give the impression that any bus with the school sign has to be passed at 20k when it is stopped. Actually apart from the reporting by the wonderful media I think the police effort is worthy of one of Rustus's good will public education events.
    Most of THOSE drivers would learn fast. The police action then was for publicity on the school bus laws ... the newspaper had another agenda ... but served the same purpose in the end.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    It ain't made any easier by bloody schools like one of my locals that has signs up saying "school zone, slow down". This in an 80k rural main road. So what the fuck are we supposed to make of that?
    Slow down to 80 km/hr of course ... and look out for children (in case you miss one)

Bike
    Kate
    Saw what I thought was a good answer to that down Greymouth a few year back. South of Greymouth is a school in a 70k zone (I think) but it had those light signs to lower the limit to 50k at school in and out times. Means that none of this are there sports on or is it school hols etc, the sign made it clear when the lower limit applied. Better use for those sign than on the motorway where they should only be advisary and not regulatory but that's off topic.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Likely a sign erected by the school (or community). The sign is probably a request and has no enforcement behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information