Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding in NZ - general inquiry

Bike
    rsv

Riding in NZ - general inquiry

HI, my name is Konrad, I'm a biker for a few years now, currently resident of Ireland/Europe, someway someday maybe resident of New Zealand / Australia.

I was wondering, what is the attitude of police officers in New Zealand towards road users, and especially bikers. I've got to read couple of post on A/NZ forums, with the impression that road rules are executed very strictly, and even slight offences like 105kph in 100 kph zone, or light bulb not working, or lack of indicator when turning, are not taken lightly if spotted. Is that a rule in NZ that even minor offence ends up with a fine or court?

In Ireland, I was stopped couple of days ago for speeding - 100kph in 60 zone, I was riding imo smoothly and safely, no filtering, no lane splitting, with consideration to other road users. I was stopped by a biker guard ( police in Ireland = Garda ), he didn't ask me for ID nor driving licence, just said I was going a bit too fast, asked me to slow down, wished me a pleasant day and went on. No fines, no points, very kindly and friendly, and it's not a single case. Very rarely bikers get tickets here, sending to court is unheard of, unless biker was drunk and caused an accident. Is that attitude towards bikers present in NZ at all?

Have a good grip
    Konrad

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    100 in a 60 zone is 40 kmh over - round here that will mean a fine, impounding of your bike for 28 days and probably a court appearance.

The cops seem to have some leeway in what they write you up for. But most play it exactly by the rules. Some of the crusading types are just plain nasty.
    =mjc=

Bike
    Kate
    Attitude to enforcement in NZ is strict compare to what you describe in Ireland. Check out this thread for an idea http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130391270, and thats from one of the more sensible cops Don't forget your donut vouchers (they don't accept bribes but might make them more friendly) The problem with NZ is too much focus on net speed and not enough on general driving, which would have to include speed for the conditions. Doing 100k in a 60k zone would be an immediate walk here and court case, you will find it explained in the quoted thread. At least if you are polite they, the , don't beat you up

Henry Cole seemed to like riding in NZ and thought the general attitude to bikers was good when he did two of his most amazing ride programmes, one North Island (mainly East Coast) and one South Island (West Coast and Central South).
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Plus you'll also get a huge lecture about the bleeding obvious.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    100 in a 60 zone is 40 kmh over - round here that will mean a fine, impounding of your bike for 28 days and probably a court appearance.

The cops seem to have some leeway in what they write you up for. But most play it exactly by the rules. Some of the crusading types are just plain nasty.
    Dear Kondraxk

The quote above is one that will show you how much tosh is talked about the rules in New Zealand by folk who think they know the way things work.

The above post says that if you get caught at 40 over your bike gets impounded. Tripe. If you get caught at 40 over, you get a speeding ticket. End of story. Speeds up to 50 over any given speed limit can are normally are dealt with by instant fine i.e. tickets where you have 28 days to either pay or request a court case.

If you get caught at 51 over any posted limit (not temporary), you get a ticket and a 28 day licence suspension. At no stage is your bike impounded for pure speeding, unless you get charged with racing. But then, it makes a great story, and gives bikers something to bitch about.

One of the lesser known rules is that donuts have to be consumed within 4 hours of production. Exceeding this is an offence punishable by confiscation, although what I'd do with 5 hour old donuts I'm not sure.

Believe about 60% of what you read on here. The other 40% is entertaining though.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Dear Kondraxk

One of the lesser known rules is that donuts have to be consumed within 4 hours of production. Exceeding this is an offence punishable by confiscation, although what I'd do with 5 hour old donuts I'm not sure.
    5 hour old donuts, you forgot they were there didn't you?

Bike

The above post says that if you get caught at 40 over your bike gets impounded. Tripe. If you get caught at 40 over, you get a speeding ticket. End of story. Speeds up to 50 over any given speed limit can are normally are dealt with by instant fine i.e. tickets where you have 28 days to either pay or request a court case.

If you get caught at 51 over any posted limit (not temporary), you get a ticket and a 28 day licence suspension.

Hey Rastus -

From the NZTA website http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/offe...penalties.html

Your driver licence will be suspended on-the-spot for 28 days if you:

exceed a permanent speed limit by more than 40 km/h (or another speed limit by 50 km/h)

So who's right? you or them?
    =mjc=

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    Believe about 60% of what you read on here. The other 40% is entertaining though.
    I disagree.

It's more like 20:80. 20% real:80%

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4

40k over means you are going to lose your license for sure, you lose it on the spot then court appearance to lose it for a few months at least plus fines and record.

if they they think you are racing or driving dangerous they can impound the bike/car too

yea, cops target speed and safety heaps here, they make campaigns and blitz operations on it. they will happily ticket you if you break the law. its their job
    Last edited by Fast Eddie; 5th September 2012 at 10:49. Reason: stupid ipad

Bike
    Various things
    Hey Rastus -

From the NZTA website http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/offe...penalties.html

Your driver licence will be suspended on-the-spot for 28 days if you:

exceed a permanent speed limit by more than 40 km/h (or another speed limit by 50 km/h)

So who's right? you or them?
    You're absolutely correct. I had my licence suspended for the 28 days (142kph)...went to court to defend the charge, and got off. Funnily enough when I asked if I then had a 28 day credit should I ever be so silly enough to exceed the limit and get caught...I was told to basically fuck off. Can't see how that's fair?

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Dear Kondraxk

The quote above is one that will show you how much tosh is talked about the rules in New Zealand by folk who think they know the way things work.

The above post says that if you get caught at 40 over your bike gets impounded. Tripe. If you get caught at 40 over, you get a speeding ticket. End of story. Speeds up to 50 over any given speed limit can are normally are dealt with by instant fine i.e. tickets where you have 28 days to either pay

If you get caught at 51 over any posted limit (not temporary), you get a ticket and a 28 day licence suspension. At no stage is your bike impounded for pure speeding, unless you get charged with racing. But then, it makes a great story.
    the info on the govt website says instant disqual at 40km exceeding permenant speed zone.

but i might just print this quote and keep it in me pocket. sounds like the rozza should be treating me pretty casually at 100 in a 50 zone, hopefully just a wee fine to pay in 28 days

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    ....damnit!, would you lot shut up!

...dont EVER point out how sprinkles have made Rastuscat "nice" in regards to "His" interpretation of the law and its enforcment upon us! (The ChCh KB crew)
    ...its Donut country down here!...please don't rock the sprinkle boat

as you were Rastuscat...as you were
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donut.gif 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	269475
    ...more sprinkles sir?

If he pulls a KBer over at 141kph and then decides to smear himself with a jelly Donut to "wrestle" there bike off them...its ALL YOUR GUYS FAULT!

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    sprinkles have made Rastuscat "nice" in regards to "His" interpretation of the law
    He's still a member of the Blue Gang - and as such is not to be trusted :true:
    =mjc=

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    He's still a member of the Blue Gang - and as such is not to be trusted :true:

He's just a regular guy who goes to work everyday just like the rest of us mate...he just gets to wear a snazzy uniform and thrash a company bike (lucky bugger!)
    He's also a respected Fellow KB member who does a hell of alot for us on KB and in the "real world"...I trust him to do his job!, and I trust him as a fellow rider!

...just DON'T trust him around Donuts! (especial the ones with sprinkles!)

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Thread Information