Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 1 World Speedway, 31 March Western Springs

Bike
    2001 Ducati Monster S4

Practice was fast

Practise was cool, this track is the biggest, widest and fastest they will race on all yeah. get down there people. It's going to be hot.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Hoo that was fun!

First time at speedway and definitely have to go back

No problems with the camera at all, Security didn't even bother opening my backpack..
    Have to bring the big lens next time
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Never been to a speedway before, but that was good fun if a little short.

Was a little surprised at the disqualification though, looked to me like he'd come off the bumps badly. Felt it was a little rough. But having never raced speedway, I guess I'll leave it to the experts.

Hopefully it's back next year!

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    TF125
    I was thinking of going but saw in the Harold it was $50 a ticket. I stayed home & had a domestic instead

Was it $50?

Bike
    depends
    Missed the crash and replays as was waiting for some food. The restart of that one race was odd, as no idea what they'd spotted.

Was it worth $50? Hmmm, have to think about that, hell yes. It's not often we get to see top riders/drivers and to see them in action is pretty priceless. When you consider the NZ champ was stoked to get 1 point (as was the crowd), you get to see how good the riders really are.
    It was a short evening, but it was pretty full on, and seeing how much the bikes moved around, you could see how hard the riders were working.

Congratulations to BSL for a great event and a huge thank you for letting us get that opportunity. Spectators were pretty good, and the Aussies? trying to evade security at the end was a hoot.

The smell, damn, I love that smell. The bikes were pretty quiet, so I hope the neighbours don't bitch too much, but it was a great event. Way better than "staying home and having a domestic".

Plenty of people travelled from Aus and around the country for the event, so hope they had a great time. I'd loved it to have gone on longer, but apart from the food stalls taking too long, the queues too long, the food stalls running out of change, it was a great event.

Sorry about the mess we'd left behind, but honestly, I didn't even see any bins around the place, so figured we'd do the same as others, and leave the crap behind.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    outsatnding , if somewhat early night. Worth the 100 bucks for the two of us - wife came along and thought it was great too after she was not too keen initially.

Saw a stack of regular race and ride day crowd there which I thought was good.

23 races, one accident, could teach some road racers a few things!

Outstanding to see the the crowd on their feet cheering the kiwi boy getting a point. He was stoked too, on both counts!

Slick, well presented, good first up effort. Didn't buy food, but saw long queues.

Seeing the guys at times perpendicular to the direction of travel, hard into it on the throttle and their foot just skimming the track was great.

Didn't agree with the DQ, don;t know speedway rules on accidents, fault, result but thought it was a racing incident.

The smell - yep, forgotten how good it can smell!

Bike
    beryl and daisy
    First time at speedway, money well spend, excellent entertainment.
    squeek squeek

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Myself, and a few others decided to splash out and get "good" tickets for the event. $120 bucks each for seated tickets. Right on the new start line, shit hot I thought. On to a winner here.

Wrong.

We were very lucky, not to have anyone behind us. As we spent the event standing on our seats, trying to see. Speaking to many others around us, and I think the organiser will be getting a few e-mails on how NOt to organise the stands.

Other wise a fantastic event. Superb racing, awesome international crowd, and I feel sorry for those who couldnt get there or see, as it was a bloody great day.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    696 Ducati
    Blog Entries
    Bought back some teenage memories from when my dad raced sidecar back in the early 80's... I definitely had a ball, supporting the Polish rider Tomasz Gollob (5) and the Danish rider Nicki Pedersen (10)... but totally was stoked for our rider Bunyan (16) to get a point, lap of honour he should have had. Some serious dueling out there with some strength keeping those bikes going... definitely will be following it on SKY and fb from now on. Good Luck Tomasz and Nikki!!!!!!

But same as Boman...

Dear Bill

Sort that grandstand out for next year, as they were crap, so many people complained it was not funny!!!!

Tink

Bike
    Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Sort that grandstand out for next year...
    Will there be a next year, or was it a once-off?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by boman View Post
    Myself, and a few others decided to splash out and get "good" tickets for the event. $120 bucks each for seated tickets. Right on the new start line, shit hot I thought. On to a winner here.

Wrong.

We were very lucky, not to have anyone behind us. As we spent the event standing on our seats, trying to see. Speaking to many others around us, and I think the organiser will be getting a few e-mails on how NOt to organise the stands.

Other wise a fantastic event. Superb racing, awesome international crowd, and I feel sorry for those who couldnt get there or see, as it was a bloody great day.
    The grandstand seats were a fucking crap waste of money, grandstand needed to be on a steeper angle of further back, you couldn't even see the front straight or start/finish line even if you were standing

Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    Will there be a next year, or was it a once-off?
    They have it for two more years

Personaly while I liked the event and it was well run and a good venue the racing was pretty average and I've watched better racing at club days
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Rule has always been that the cause of a race stoppage is excluded from the restart. From where I was sitting (centre of back straight) waht I saw of the incident , and confirmed by the replays on the big screen, was that the inside rider failed to maintain his line (thrown off line by the holes) and he collided with the rider on his right, knocking him off.

Those holes were the only fault with what was otherwise a (to me) perfect track. Perhaps a compacter could have been included in the track equipment - shovelling dirt into the holes was a complete waste of time, it was blown out by the first bike through.

Brilliant night though - probably the most professionally run motorsport event I've ever attended.

Mexican wave went arount the stadium six times!
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Great to hear all the positive comments about the racing and the organisation.

I've been racing speedway for 8 years and yesterday was the dream of those 8 years. Unfortunately I got roped into refuelling the bikes so ended up watching 5 races the entire night

Anyway for those of you still in auckland, next sunday 8th april is Auckland solo champs at Rosebank park domain in Avondale, West Auckland. $15 for an adult (U15 free!) for an equally well organised day, racing starts at 1pm and you will get to see around 50 races over 3 to 4 hours. Sidecars, Solos, Junior Solos and the Pee Wees (not too sure but 1/4 midgets might be there aswell).

Very biker friendly with a kitchen and bar (that doesn't cost the earth to drink at) open till very late!.

Can't guarantee you a mexican wave but I can guarantee you a good day! Get through the gate early to stake your claim on the hill or on the seating on the main straight (there's always a good spot to see the entire track).

See you all there

Bike
    moped
    Great night, but will never get a "Grandstand Seat" again absolute waste of money unless you were in the front row, agree fully with you "Kickaha". Rows around us were empty, and i found out later that people had complained, as you could only see half the Track, they got a $70.00 refund and went and sat opposite with probably a far better view.

Wake up Western Springs sort those stands out.

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    Great Racing, Great weather but very disappointed in paying $100 for a Grandstand Seat on the start line only to find out once seated that l couldn't see the riders on their bikes starting and had to watch all 0f the starts on the Big Screen.
    What l can't understand is that once they erected those stands up by sitting down on them and having a look at the view from them told them that the people who had tickets for these seats wouldn't be happy with what they could & couldn't see and that they needed to be elevated on an angle.
    I guess it comes down to once they have their money they don't give a shit on how happy or unhappy the spectators are.
    At least if l intend going back there next year l will just purchase the cheap tickets then l know l will have a better chance l seeing the whole race without having to look at part of it on the Big Screen.
    Western Springs.......this is something that needs serious looking at for next year as the last thing you need is unhappy spectators refusing to attend such an Awesome event.

Thread Information