Thread: Braking - interesting article

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Braking - interesting article

I dunno if this is a re-post (you can always ignore it if you've seen it before) but it makes for an interesting read - if you can wade through the physics.

I stumbled on it when I was looking up tyre stuff. The bit that intrigued me was the section "Can you brake faster than cars?"

Linky HERE
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Good sumary, cheers dude.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    The maths in the two articles of his I read are fatally flawed and indicate a fundamental mis-understanding of friction and rubber. I would not rely on any information by this person on this subject. They have basically tried to apply simple high school physics to the problem

Specifically, the biggest mistake is trying to apply Coulombs and Amonton's laws of friction to rubber. This work was exclusively done based on solid non-flexible surfaces, such as steel.

It has been proven again and again (by the likes of world renowned tyre experts like Pacejka and Robert Smith) that the laws of Coulomb and Amonton don't apply.

More specifically, friction is not constant either laterally or longitudinaly in tyres. And this is primarily because tyres deform under load - which they must if you want to have any kind of decent handling.

If you are interested in this could I recommend "Analyzing Friction in the design of rubber products and their parted surfaces" by Robert Horigan Smith, or if you like some hard core maths, try "Tire and Vehicle Dyanmics" by Hans B Pacejka.

Smith's book also has an interesting section on the application of these laws by some law enforcement agencies around the world who still try and use Coloumb's and Amonton's laws to determine vehicle speeds from skids - and shows how these methods can give incorrect results.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    The maths in the two articles of his I read are fatally flawed and indicate a fundamental mis-understanding of friction and rubber. I would not rely on any information by this person on this subject. They have basically tried to apply simple high school physics to the problem

Specifically, the biggest mistake is trying to apply Coulombs and Amonton's laws of friction to rubber. This work was exclusively done based on solid non-flexible surfaces, such as steel.

It has been proven again and again (by the likes of world renowned tyre experts like Pacejka and Robert Smith) that the laws of Coulomb and Amonton don't apply.

More specifically, friction is not constant either laterally or longitudinaly in tyres. And this is primarily because tyres deform under load - which they must if you want to have any kind of decent handling.

If you are interested in this could I recommend "Analyzing Friction in the design of rubber products and their parted surfaces" by Robert Horigan Smith, or if you like some hard core maths, try "Tire and Vehicle Dyanmics" by Hans B Pacejka.

Smith's book also has an interesting section on the application of these laws by some law enforcement agencies around the world who still try and use Coloumb's and Amonton's laws to determine vehicle speeds from skids - and shows how these methods can give incorrect results.
    There are a couple of online discussions that have submissions that agree with your opinion - can't remember where I found them though...(probably due to that alz...thingie.)

I'd have to say that gut instinct tells me to doubt some of his assertions.

I still found it interesting though.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I just read the snippet on braking in a curve, yup, the bike turns in but, it does not have too, you can still brake & steer while cornering. Much to my amazement.

That reminds me, I need to do some practice.

Bike
    Kate
    Of course our SCU wouldn't make that mistake?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Of course our SCU wouldn't make that mistake?
    Alas I don't know if our SCU uses the old flawed method or not.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Alas I don't know if our SCU uses the old flawed method or not.
    Many many years ago, (1968) I was in court (never mind why!) and listened to a defence lawyer argue this very point in reference to his client's charge of driving at excessive speed - as measured by the length of the skidmark left on the road. Guess nothing is new.

Thread Information