Thread: How to remove decal and paint combo off plastic tank?

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom

How to remove decal and paint combo off plastic tank?

As the title says, I'm trying to strip a white plastic petrol tank. I've done one side that just had the decal successfully (abet SLOWLY) using the hair dryer and razor blade scrap method. On the second side the previous owner has filled in gaps in the decal with what I am pretty sure is paint.
    The combo is proving difficult to remove using the heat/scrape method as the paint has "bonded" the edges of the decal to the tank, any other suggestions?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwi View Post
    As the title says, I'm trying to strip a white plastic petrol tank. I've done one side that just had the decal successfully (abet SLOWLY) using the hair dryer and razor blade scrap method. On the second side the previous owner has filled in gaps in the decal with what I am pretty sure is paint.
    The combo is proving difficult to remove using the heat/scrape method as the paint has "bonded" the edges of the decal to the tank, any other suggestions?
    So it is a plastic tank for a dirt/trail bike?

If possible use brake clearner, spray it on, leave it for a minute, spray it some more and then use a clothe rub/scrape off the glue/decal. If you can't get brake cleaner you can also use petrol. It is a pain the ass slow process (I'm doing all the plastics on a DRZ400)

Edit, you mentioned paint, if the tank is painted and you want it to remain that way don't use brake cleaner lol
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Thanks Placidfemme,
    Yeap it's a dirt bike (the XR285) and no I don't want to retain the paint. I'm taking it back to bare plastic. I'll give your suggestion a crack next weekend and let you know how I got on.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    +1 for brake fluid.

IME - Petrol isn't so good.

Good luck.

Bike
    Thanks Placidfemme,
    Yeap it's a dirt bike (the XR285) and no I don't want to retain the paint. I'm taking it back to bare plastic. I'll give your suggestion a crack next weekend and let you know how I got on.
    Sweet, I can't really comment on petrol as that was what I was first advised to use, but went with Brake Cleaner instead, it works but it is slow. After I have sprayed it on I scrap the glue from the edge using my nail (behind a clothe) and work my way inwards.

Yesterday a customer came into the shop and gave me some citrus type spray to use and it is amazing, I will check tomorrow at work what brand etc it is, as it is way better than brake cleaner, literally spray it twice, leave for a minute and rub it off, easy. So will post that up tomorrow, just have no idea where you can buy it.

As for the heat gun, at one bike shop I worked at to prep 2nd hand dirt bikes for sale they would use the heat gun on the plastics where there were lots of deep scrathes, soften the plastic up enough to use a sharp knife to scrape the soft plastic into the scratches. It does work and it looks awesome, but it will take hours. I'm not bothering with that as I just don't have the patience lol
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    To get rid of the sticky sticker stuff a product called Desolvit is excellent, citrus based. Available at your supermarket. WD40 works OK too but is slow.

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    +1 for brake fluid.

IME - Petrol isn't so good.

Good luck.
    Hi Yellowdog,
    Thanks for the reply, Placidfemme mentions brake cleaner and you brake fluid, do you know if they are equally suitable for using on white plastic?
    Also will this remove both the paint and the decal gum?

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Hi Yellowdog,
    Thanks for the reply, Placidfemme mentions brake cleaner and you brake fluid, do you know if they are equally suitable for using on white plastic?
    Also will this remove both the paint and the decal gum?
    It depends upon the surface. The plastic may be too soft and it's best to test an area so that you don't melt anything you don't want to.

I used brake fluid to get decals off that just wouldn't shift without digging a gouge in the surface. The brake fluid was great, but thinking back now, it was on a metalic surface and not plastic. After that, I cleaned it, primed it and then sprayed it. FANTASTIC - saved me about $300.

PLEASE DO TEST THE MATERIAL FIRST
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Thread Information