Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Eddie's Aprilia RS250 rebuild & restore

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    You don't hone them, if they need replating you go see these guys nzcylinders.co.nz and fort out $600 odd per cylinder
    f*ckn hell - The Tunings Works advertises brand new suzuki cylinders for 300 quid.. or a recond./replated one for 125 quid on an exchange with ur old cyl, and you get a new suzuki piston with it.

oh well see how I go later, one cylinder is ok, the one that I brought round to yours Kickaha with the groove in it should prob be repaired but yea.. thats costly at 600 bucks a cyl aye. would prob give the tuning works a go..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    Further to Gamma's post,apply heat then clamp the spigot in a vice.This will crush the spigot in the process (it's toast anyway) and hopefully weakening it's hold.Then by twisting the cylinder in a circular motion you may work it free.
    Cheers, yea I think someone, or you has already mentioned that in my other thread maybe - I told the engineers to do that. So hopefully they get the old ones out ok.

will press some new ones in later. got a bit of engine work to do on the old Aprilia

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    f*ckn hell - The Tunings Works advertises brand new suzuki cylinders for 300 quid.. or a recond./replated one for 125 quid on an exchange with ur old cyl, and you get a new suzuki piston with it.
    Find out who does their replating or go new
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Find out who does their replating or go new
    yea good thinking, their website leads me to believe they do it themselves inhouse. But will ask first for sure, can't go wrong with new suzuki items eh.

Got a few other bits to work on first anyway. no rush

Bike
    degreased the engine today. (and had the mrs on wheel paint removal and polishing haha she did well. They are close to a proper final polish and repainting centers)

Engine degreasing and cleaning took a fair bit of elbow grease. Wee bit more to go in some odd nooks and crannies but she is looking so much better than the scrap i pulled out of the frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	261586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	261587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	261588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0276.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	672.7 KB 
ID:	261589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0273.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	599.1 KB 
ID:	261590

Bike
    couple of photos looking down into crank. anyone shout out if anything looks amiss.

I rocked the crank back and forth and held the rods. no slack or free play that I can tell but I may not have the technique. Seems to be ok? not sure what I should be doing/looking for without pulling the thing apart further and measuring shit. Any tips sing out..

Name:	IMG_0279.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	677.3 KB 
ID:	261591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0277.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	621.8 KB 
ID:	261592

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    That engine's looking shit hot bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    sure is, what did you use? just degreaser and a toothbrush?

Im not patient enough to fuck about getting stuff really really clean, I just get it to where its better than it was, get bored, and move on haha

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    sure is, what did you use? just degreaser and a toothbrush?

Im not patient enough to fuck about getting stuff really really clean, I just get it to where its better than it was, get bored, and move on haha
    yea bro, just Simple Green Max and some scouring pads and tooth brush and rags. shes pretty clean. couple spots to finish off then going to try put it all back together nicely.

Still waiting for cylinders though. I'll text you up tmoro, keep forgettin to return socket. I'll be leaving wheels off a for a while now so won't need it for a bit.

Bike
    Carb disassemble and clean today, carb from bottom cylinder was clean inside (grubby outside), fuel and air jets clean and fuel intake sweet everything looking good apart from the choke which has a broken piece..

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	261705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	341.4 KB 
ID:	261706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	336.7 KB 
ID:	261707

However carb from top cylinder had what seems to be literally sand from like a beach, and lots of little pebbles/stones.. like the beach at lake taupo haha. all in the float bowl and clogging up the fuel intake completely (this makes sense when looking at top cyls crank which has some heat marks, the spark plug which looked like it was overheating and the piston.. which was cooked.

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	261702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0287.JPG 
Size:	763.7 KB 
ID:	261704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	261703

Having a tricky time getting the sand thats all in the fuel intake pipe (which the fuel hose attaches to on the carb) out.. she's properly clogged I'm suprised any fuel was getting through at all when the bike was running.

Once finished cleaning out the top cyls carb will put it back together and get started on front fork strip/disassemble to send to anodizers.

Still waiting on those cylinders from engineers, they will be having an easter off ofcourse. Will pop in tomorrow and see if they are done yet.

Bike
    p.s. as a side thought - who knows what is involved in enlarging a carb - could I just drill/bore this one out to 35mm up from 34mm and change the jets or is it a bit more complicated than that?

edit: found plenty of guides online.. dare I say it.. looks kind of easy as long as you can set it up to drill straight and that u don't bore it out bigger than the slide in it..

anyone whos done it before or knows about it sing out..

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    p.s. as a side thought - who knows what is involved in enlarging a carb - could I just drill/bore this one out to 35mm up from 34mm and change the jets or is it a bit more complicated than that?

edit: found plenty of guides online.. dare I say it.. looks kind of easy as long as you can set it up to drill straight and that u don't bore it out bigger than the slide in it..

anyone whos done it before or knows about it sing out..
    Dooooooooooooooooon't unless you are a machinist and can make a butterfly.
    You'll want to basically polish the throat after boring it out, but you'll have to polish it within clearance for the butterfly and perfectly round.

Or we could make butteflies with little carbon seals on 'em
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Dooooooooooooooooon't unless you are a machinist and can make a butterfly.
    You'll want to basically polish the throat after boring it out, but you'll have to polish it within clearance for the butterfly and perfectly round.

Or we could make butteflies with little carbon seals on 'em
    no butterflies on these flatslide mikunis.. just has the slide that goes up and down and from some minor reading you just make sure u dont machine it wider than the slide is.. but yea, its just one of those things I'll prob do later. you can just buy 35mm carbs for 350US dollars for set of 2.. with the exchange rate at the mo its pretty cheap..

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    no butterflies on these flatslide mikunis.. just has the slide that goes up and down and from some minor reading you just make sure u dont machine it wider than the slide is.. but yea, its just one of those things I'll prob do later. you can just buy 35mm carbs for 350US dollars for set of 2.. with the exchange rate at the mo its pretty cheap..
    derp derp, my bad bro. In that case, DOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIT

Hmm I need a set of flatslides

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    hehe i guess you would be looking at about 700 for 4 of the suckers for your 4 banger. pleny avail online from keihin and mikuni

my engine n carbs are nice and clean now.. just waiting around for the cylinders from engineers then i can prep/paint and reassemble engine and do a few things to it along the way

Thread Information