Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Eddie's Aprilia RS250 rebuild & restore

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    More than I paid for a complete 600!!! Fuck that noise lol

Can't wait to see this motor done
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    hehe i guess you would be looking at about 700 for 4 of the suckers for your 4 banger. pleny avail online from keihin and mikuni

my engine n carbs are nice and clean now.. just waiting around for the cylinders from engineers then i can prep/paint and reassemble engine and do a few things to it along the way
    heh the worst thing is waiting to get stuff from others so you can get on with it huh?
    I got two packages today, one big box with gaskets and bearings and all sorts of shit. the other package I thought was my piston - I thought sweet, get the engine together today! - nup, its something for the R1 dammit!

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    heh the worst thing is waiting to get stuff from others so you can get on with it huh?
    I got two packages today, one big box with gaskets and bearings and all sorts of shit. the other package I thought was my piston - I thought sweet, get the engine together today! - nup, its something for the R1 dammit!
    hehe, i love packages arriving - you get your socket yea? your mrs answered the door in nothing but a bathrobe I guess she knew I was coming around haha

I went to see how my cylinders were doing.. Still sitting on the desk where I dropped them in like 3/4 weeks ago haha! damn it! I took them home again for now and see if I can't do it myself. I need to get the rusted out water spigots out.

Do you have blow torch and a decent bench vice by any chance tigertim?

didnt get anything done today.. neither fella from the anodizer outfits emailed back from last week so I guess I will call them again to check up on those quotes for my forks and triple clamps..

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    hehe, i love packages arriving - you get your socket yea? your mrs answered the door in nothing but a bathrobe I guess she knew I was coming around haha

I went to see how my cylinders were doing.. Still sitting on the desk where I dropped them in like 3/4 weeks ago haha! damn it! I took them home again for now and see if I can't do it myself. I need to get the rusted out water spigots out.

Do you have blow torch and a decent bench vice by any chance tigertim?

didnt get anything done today.. neither fella from the anodizer outfits emailed back from last week so I guess I will call them again to check up on those quotes for my forks and triple clamps..
    nah, the missus will have been in the shower all day trying to wash off the shame of what i did to her last night . . .

gas torch, yup, DM has one, I doubt he will mind lending it out.

also, I have some reassembly grease, and other assorted greases here if you need it when you reassemble, I know its a pain to buy a whole tube when you only really use a tiny bit

Bike
    nah, the missus will have been in the shower all day trying to wash off the shame of what i did to her last night . . .
    haha

good man, much appreciated. I have some stuff here from previous jobs some greases oils lubes sealents but murphies law you don't have what you need and have to go buy it haha so I'll be textin ya up

how about a vice on a bench? didnt notice one when I was around the other day haha.. might have to invest and mount one on my bench but I have a feeling they are dear as.. might have a google/trademe now

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    nah I dont have a vice sorry. theres a place called I think topmaq or something, they are right beside supercheap auto by the underpass, they sell stuff like that for a good price, pop in and see them, might be your best bet for a good price on a vice

Bike
    nah I dont have a vice sorry. theres a place called I think topmaq or something, they are right beside supercheap auto by the underpass, they sell stuff like that for a good price, pop in and see them, might be your best bet for a good price on a vice
    good call - they advertise a decent bolt to your bench vice for 80 buck. might as well invest

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    p.s. as a side thought - who knows what is involved in enlarging a carb - could I just drill/bore this one out to 35mm up from 34mm and change the jets or is it a bit more complicated than that?

edit: found plenty of guides online.. dare I say it.. looks kind of easy as long as you can set it up to drill straight and that u don't bore it out bigger than the slide in it..

anyone whos done it before or knows about it sing out..
    If you put a 35mm drill into your carbs, I will kill you and bury you in your own yard. No second chance.

Bored on a lathe or mill is the proper way to go.

Or better yet, just buy them other ones like you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    If you put a 35mm drill into your carbs, I will kill you and bury you in your own yard. No second chance.

Bored on a lathe or mill is the proper way to go.

Or better yet, just buy them other ones like you mentioned.
    haha wasn't going to actually use a hand drill. a tuning manual says lathe or even drill press if you can guarantee straightness..

will weigh up the costs but prob easier to buy the Keihins for 350ish.. that comes later. need better expansion chambers and mufflers too. and got airbox mods to do and air filter upgrade.. the list just grows and grows as the bank depletes

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    If you put a 35mm drill into your carbs, I will kill you and bury you in your own yard.
    I'd be quite willing to dig the hole for you
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor

will weigh up the costs but prob easier to buy the Keihins for 350ish.. that comes later. need better expansion chambers and mufflers too. and got airbox mods to do and air filter upgrade.. the list just grows and grows as the bank depletes
    Tell me about it...have just got a re-nikasiled cylinder and a set of spanking Cougar PV's to install,but hard knocks (so to speak) have led me to err on the reliability side of the equation now.

I will be following your thread with interest and see how you get on .

But check these puppies out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cougar PV's 001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	764.0 KB 
ID:	261783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cougar PV's 002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	759.4 KB 
ID:	261784  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    But check these puppies out...
    oh yea those are sweet , cylinder looks brand new and those powervalves are fuckn expensive eh? I can maybe afford to modify my existing ones by just getting the center blade with the fixed pin.. but dunno if I can afford 2 all new valves not at the price advertised on TTW anyway haha. (is that a new crank shaft as well to the left? lol bastard)

yea I'm having a week or so off the build now, heading up to chch for my and the mrs birthday this weekend and then got a uni exam next week and racing the following weekend after.. back into in a couple weeks.

looking at how clean the inside of those cyls are, rebuilt or not I need to figure a way to decarbon and clean up the inside of mine without damaging anything..

Bike
    Right - SITREP,

Mrs bought me a sweet dartboard for my birthday last sun, which promptly went up in the shed and very little work has been done on the bike since then haha..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	262170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	262169

But I did finally get 1 quote back from the Anodizing firm in Tokoroa..

It costs 60 bucks per fork tube, so 120 to do both my fork tubes in gold, including some prep work (he did mention if it needed any major prep the price may go up a bit but my forks look pretty clean)

and its 50 bucks per triple clamp, so 100 for the 2 triple clamps.

I am happy with that, and since the other 2 places I asked for quotes havent got back to me I think I will go ahead and send them up to Tok.. plus they have done bike parts before so are confident doing it.

Will do that in a week or two, ordered a couple of engine bits off TTW, see how long they take to arrive they were sent yesterday. Should get a bit of progress done in the next couple of weeks. Engine/cyls and heads are nice and clean externally, I now want to decarbon/clean the inside of the exhaust ports etc, inside of cyls/mating surfaces and even interested if I can do anything to my stock exhaust to improve flow? cant afford aftermarket shit at the mo.

So if anyone has tips/tricks on how to clean the internal parts, the exhaust port and mounting surfaces between exhaust and cylinder etc.. all that super hard carbon/black build up u get on a really old bike haha. And also just generally clean up all the internal surfaces of the engine without damaging/altering anything crucial..

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    nice one, please hold into the details for the anodizing place.

Might pay to throw up a thread about it, Ive seen several others be interested in getting bike stuff done recently, and you might even try your luck at a better price if you do a group buy on getting the work done - worth a shot.
    Take some close up pics before and after as well - Id be keen to see (guess I could swing by and look though)

as for cleaning, depends what exactly you are cleaning. Start off with a Kero bath, soak the shit for a while, scrub, rinse and repeat a couple times, and see where you are at after that.
    Hayd3n on here had a gearbox rebuild done a few years ago on a YZF600, the mechanic said he had to use about 8 different chemicals to clean off the sight glass on the engine casing, so you could be in for a fair bit of work if you really wanna go the whole hog

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    nice one, please hold into the details for the anodizing place.

Might pay to throw up a thread about it, Ive seen several others be interested in getting bike stuff done recently, and you might even try your luck at a better price if you do a group buy on getting the work done - worth a shot.
    Take some close up pics before and after as well - Id be keen to see (guess I could swing by and look though)

as for cleaning, depends what exactly you are cleaning. Start off with a Kero bath, soak the shit for a while, scrub, rinse and repeat a couple times, and see where you are at after that.
    Hayd3n on here had a gearbox rebuild done a few years ago on a YZF600, the mechanic said he had to use about 8 different chemicals to clean off the sight glass on the engine casing, so you could be in for a fair bit of work if you really wanna go the whole hog
    A new sight glass would be easier ??
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Thread Information