Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Eddie's Aprilia RS250 rebuild & restore

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Wouldn't ram air be as "simple" as having the bowl vents under the same pressure as the airbox and a small fuel pump? (apart from tuning volumes and lengths etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    ^^^ Sounds about right to be.

Spotted this on ebay, if your interested in some unhealthy inspiration, its possibly my dream bike.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RG5...d=352257337190

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqR,!oEE63WY-E4)BO5ezRtREg~~60_3.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	264856

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!jUE652Rlp1GBO5ezIh67g~~60_3.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	264857

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Wouldn't ram air be as "simple" as having the bowl vents under the same pressure as the airbox and a small fuel pump? (apart from tuning volumes and lengths etc)
    .. I think I'll let someone else answer that one.. I'm usually the one answering all the hard stuff so ya know, give someone else a turn n all that..

when are you slapping a turbo on ur bike DL? you know I had a 550cc honda turbo?, made a suck thru with a subary legacy turbo, the smaller one off a twin turb.
    it ran well when the boost was on, gave my old zxr750h1 a run for its money a couple of times. was a bit funny spooling up but never misfired or anything just that sort of lag u get with bad fueling and the back pressure/spooling up the turbo. but once it was on boost and you kept it up there it went mint (for about 600kms then oil pressure disappeared during a boost and by the time I got home the engine was done with oil pissing out everywhere..

sounded mean with no muffler and a turbo sitting by your knee...

they used to make kits for the cbr900rr, buy and bolt on, intercooled turbo haha.. they stopped production though :'( makes it fuel injected turbo and a claimed 350+hp

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/cbr900.htm

still can be done, just not as lazily now.. maybe one day - when i buy an original 92 blade to keep standard I can start fuckn with the second gen one..

and when i finish the aprilia.. and the windows around the house... and the picnic table.. and painting the doors and so on and so on.. walk the dog, do the dishes

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    ^^^ Sounds about right to be.

Spotted this on ebay, if your interested in some unhealthy inspiration, its possibly my dream bike.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RG5...d=352257337190

Name:	$(KGrHqR,!oEE63WY-E4)BO5ezRtREg~~60_3.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	264856

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!jUE652Rlp1GBO5ezIh67g~~60_3.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	264857
    yea the underlying idea is mint.. I don't quite like the body shape/fairings or the overall way its presented but thats just me. I'd still own it and love it haha - I'd love a 500cc 2 stroke motor, they sell em, Kickaha hit me a link at somepoint.. no price listed tho so im sure it would be dear.. would be cool in almost any frame tho - one day i might be in the position to make a replica 500gp bike one day..

i wonder whats in his NOS looking tank on the tail, several times I'v almost hit buy now on the ebay kits for bikes.. for about a grand u get a 1.5 or 2lb bottle, all the solenoids and jets and injectors or whatever u need for a 4cyl carburetted engine and u just diy and bang!

also.. one day..

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    i wonder whats in his NOS looking tank on the tail, several times I'v almost hit buy now on the ebay kits for bikes.. for about a grand u get a 1.5 or 2lb bottle, all the solenoids and jets and injectors or whatever u need for a 4cyl carburetted engine and u just diy and bang!

also.. one day..
    Water injection me thinks.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    .. I think I'll let someone else answer that one.. I'm usually the one answering all the hard stuff so ya know, give someone else a turn n all that..
    Fair enough mate

when are you slapping a turbo on ur bike DL? you know I had a 550cc honda turbo?, made a suck thru with a subary legacy turbo, the smaller one off a twin turb.
    it ran well when the boost was on, gave my old zxr750h1 a run for its money a couple of times. was a bit funny spooling up but never misfired or anything just that sort of lag u get with bad fueling and the back pressure/spooling up the turbo. but once it was on boost and you kept it up there it went mint (for about 600kms then oil pressure disappeared during a boost and by the time I got home the engine was done with oil pissing out everywhere..
    When did that come on boost? They use something like a VJ1 don't they? The turbo I had sourced was still on a car, and it went pop So I'm back to hunting for one, I'm not in a rush though

I imagine it'll be a bit of fun
    I'm wanting 130-140hp at the tread on around 7psi, depending on turbo size
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike

When did that come on boost?
    I think it was about 5,000ish you could hear it spooling up and it started proper pulling like 7 or 8-10k rpm, below that it actually felt like a normal bike, was loud and lumpy but didnt like jerk around or misfire, was just down on power/laggy until the turbo started going.. im sure it could have been tuned up and made to run better with some knowledge and shit haha

hehe, nice 130-140hp on the floor is a nice amount of hp - what does the motor make factory? zzr600 eh? from my experience the old stock motor will probably want better bearings or a beefed up lube/oil system and cooling system

Name:	2095901556a8471232597o.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	264863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2095901556a8471255426o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	264862

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Fuck that's cool!
    One of those would come on boost a bit quicker on the 600 and I can have shorer tune length headers because I just have enough room

The ZZR makes around 100hp at the crank, mine would hopefully be a bit more currently.
    It'll handle low boost if I get the bowl vents hooked up right and have a nice AFR
    I can also advance/retard timing by 5-6 degrees either way

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Fair enough mate

When did that come on boost? They use something like a VJ1 don't they? The turbo I had sourced was still on a car, and it went pop So I'm back to hunting for one, I'm not in a rush though

what did you have lined up?
    few years back i had a turbo off a toyota starlet ready just sort of ran out of money and motivation and it never really happened

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    what did you have lined up?
    few years back i had a turbo off a toyota starlet ready just sort of ran out of money and motivation and it never really happened
    It was an IHI RHB5 on a Mzda B6T.
    I'm thinking a CT12a (Toyota 1JZGTTE) or CT9a, which is the Starlet turbo, would be a good way to go. The CT12 series are very small on the exhaust side, which is what I want.

Anything smaller in the exhaust than a T25 should be on boost before 8000, which is fine by me
    A VF13 or VF18 from a TT Legacy would do I think, will do some more research

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    turbos are a laugh, im def going to have another go at one and do it better so its everyday rideable..

i think bike engines are good for it eh, usually fairly strong.. I recon pay a bit of attention to heat and lubing.. (im thinking an 1127cc gsxr oil burner lump would slot into a nice frame with a turbo around its neck) it was only my big end bearings that wore out, rest of it was sweet. sold the motor to a fella to use in a go kart in the end, looked like fun when he was done.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Big ends will wear out if your tune/timing is off. That's why I'll be retarding my timing, it'll drop some power, but it'll be safe

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Big ends will wear out if your tune/timing is off. That's why I'll be retarding my timing, it'll drop some power, but it'll be safe
    nah make full power and risk it all brother!

you like to paint a thing or two DL, I've finished painting my seat cowl in as close to a color match as I could get (im color blind looks right to me eh?) now its almost finished curing off, base/clear coat whats the last step I can do to try bring out a bit more gloss.. just a rubbing compound/cut n polish?

Name:	IMG_0353.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	763.2 KB 
ID:	264970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	628.1 KB 
ID:	264971

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    nah make full power and risk it all brother!

you like to paint a thing or two DL, I've finished painting my seat cowl in as close to a color match as I could get (im color blind looks right to me eh?) now its almost finished curing off, base/clear coat whats the last step I can do to try bring out a bit more gloss.. just a rubbing compound/cut n polish?
    Brrrrmmmmm pssshhh brrrmmm POP

That's looking nice man.
    Moar clear will get uber gloss, flattening back with 1600/200 grit before final coat an then a soft cut/polish a few weeks after it has cured (paint gotta breathe yo)

The black on the 600 looks seriously fucked, something has reacted and it's rough, orange peel from 'Nam and easily scratched. So, great excuse to get a decent gun and do some 2K. (It's enamel, second time I've sprayed enamel, I prefer acrylic)

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Brrrrmmmmm pssshhh brrrmmm POP

That's looking nice man.
    Moar clear will get uber gloss, flattening back with 1600/200 grit before final coat an then a soft cut/polish a few weeks after it has cured (paint gotta breathe yo)

The black on the 600 looks seriously fucked, something has reacted and it's rough, orange peel from 'Nam and easily scratched. So, great excuse to get a decent gun and do some 2K. (It's enamel, second time I've sprayed enamel, I prefer acrylic)
    true, it musnt have liked your prep work or something maybe shit conditions.. I bring my stuff inside to warm/cure off.

this seat cowl has been inside for 1.5 weeks now curing.. its almost there but i can still smell a wee bit of it. some youtube clip i watched of a kiwi in his garage said ya can wait up to 2 weeks sometimes

So you recon I should flatten it off with 1600 wet and then chuck another coat of clear on? because like I said, its been curing off for a week and a bit now I thought that was it and I couldn't put any more on it..

its lacquer paints.. base and clear.

and yea it looks pretty good, its nice and smooth cause i took my time with sanding and some light filler and sanding between coats of base.. but it doesnt quite have that deep gloss to it yet.

Thread Information