Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench grinders & linishers?

Bike
    I just lost count

Bench grinders & linishers?

Looking at getting a bench grinder as I now finally have the space for and I have used the old man's so much. He has two on with a grinding stone and wire wheel, the other larger one with two different grinding stones. Looking around I see there are a few out there that come with Linisher attachments.

So anyone got any thoughts on brand (lot of no name ones out there) and weather it is worth looking at a linisher type attachment over and above a wire wheel or second grinding stone.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    What sort of work will you be using the grinder for? Are the from bunnings or something alot more heavy duty.

I use a $60 bench grinder to do my tungstens for my Tig welder. Works sweet and takes up fuck all room. Grinds small peices of steel alright. Thinking about building my own purpose built linisher as the ones on the small grinders don't look powerful enough.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Yea well that is what I am trying to figure, weather the "insert generic Chinese brand here" special is worth it or if I should be spending a bit more (head says spend the $ wallet says) out General steel fabrication. Nothing overly fancy or overly heavy duty, just making up brackets and bits and pieces.

The more I think about it I reckon the wire wheel is going to be of more use to me for cleaning up bolts and other parts along with a grinding wheel.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Linishers are sweet, no idea how the little ones go though. For small fab I'd use a linisher more, especially for aluminium work. If its resto and steel parts the wire wheel might be the better option.

My 2c, don't own either yet, just used the ones at uni plenty...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    You know what will happen if you buy cheap Spend a bit extra, and get something you can pass on one day, not throw in the scrap bin in a couple of months.
    Something like this is a good deal. IMO........ http://www.machineryonline.co.nz/products.asp?cat=16
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I've a expensive one purchased for me decades ago when I did some work for someone. It will run forever for the handyman use I give it.

I know a guy who has a el cheapo one that he thrashes the shit out of and it has lasted a couple years so far. His theory is when it dies it will be scrap but have paid for itself many times.

PS the wheels are easy to change over I swap from wire to grinding to polishing as required. I also purchased a external attachment that screws in the side and allows a buffing wheel to be attached. Good shit.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I've a expensive one purchased for me decades ago when I did some work for someone. It will run forever for the handyman use I give it.

I know a guy who has a el cheapo one that he thrashes the shit out of and it has lasted a couple years so far. His theory is when it dies it will be scrap but have paid for itself many times.

I would go along with that. We have some expensive brands in the workshop and some cheap. All work just as well as each other just some don't get such a had life.
    On saying that I have a warehouse heat gun $16, and a jigsaw $18. both have been thrashed to death but still work as they should.

There are so many bands out there I would be surprised if two people on here have the same one.

Bike
    TF125
    Decent linishers here ---> http://www.linishall.co.nz/

Anything less than 750w is a waste of time & money IMO. Also, stick to standard linisher belt sizes if you're making your own attachment; 50 x 915mm, 50 x 1220mm, 50 x 1525mm. Same belt lengths in 100mm wide are also pretty common.

Also, pay the little bit more for better linishing belts. Aluminium Zirconia (often blue or green) belts last so much longer than Aluminium Oxide (usually brown) belts.

Bike
    BSA A10
    I would take a linisher over a grinder or wire wheel any day of the week, they'll do most things a grinder will unless it's really heavy work and more versatile when it comes to doing finer work
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    You know what will happen if you buy cheap Spend a bit extra, and get something you can pass on one day, not throw in the scrap bin in a couple of months.
    Something like this is a good deal. IMO........ http://www.machineryonline.co.nz/products.asp?cat=16
    thats only 520w... it would stall when put any pressure on..
    yer need at least 750w "1hp"..
    I have a 1250w "1.5hp" bench grinder with a multi tool linisher attachment... I can stall that..
    The multi tool linisher is a good well built attachment...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    I have an old 400w that I have never been able to stall and a modern makita 700w that stalls all the time. Personally I like the old stuff that has been looked after by some old bloke for years and is made from really heavy stuff. I just found an early 60s Oliver thicknesser that is still in lovely condition.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    The more I think about it I reckon the wire wheel is going to be of more use to me for cleaning up bolts and other parts along with a grinding wheel.
    Sounds like Dad NEEDS a linisher then

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    and get something you can pass on one day,
    That settles it - his Dad DEFINATELY NEEDS a linisher

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    I have a wee bench linisher/grinder.

Its a brillant wee machine, got it from the local trade zone engineers supply shop on sale for $240.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Sounds like Dad NEEDS a linisher then
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    That settles it - his Dad DEFINATELY NEEDS a linisher
    Shit mate I have permission to buy some tools and set up a workspace, so nothing for me to gain by him getting one. Besides he is just a tool horder. Built a big fucking shed and has never really set up any benches, his big vice has never been mounted and his parts washer is still in another shed getting covered in bird shit. Said the other day that he had bought a hoist, Fuck knows why.

I just managed to get an Arc Welder off him that has had fuck all use and sat in the corner for the last 10 years. He said it was mine to have 5 years ago but there has already been a reason that I couldn't take it.

So in summary, the bastard is going to need to die before I get any tools of substance from his fucking shed.

But I digress...........

Pumba is a wise man.

Thread Information