Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updates on Hafiq Azmi's progress in BSB Motostar Cup and Rookies Cup

Bike
    Nowt any more
    QP1: 7th place, one in front of 'team mate' Tarren MacKenzie.
    3.0s off pole.
    Top 10 separated by huge 4.0 seconds, so clearly a large differential between riders at this circuit.
    QP2: 9th, 3.3s off pole.
    Starting position: 9th.

Race: DNF. Laptime was about same as P6.
    Was running in P4 prior to crashing.

Weather looked awesome, as it can be in the UK at this time of year!!

http://www.nzsbk.com/2012/05/bsb-201...urce=BP_recent
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    Nowt any more

Red Bull Rookies Cup Silverstone R1, R2

Silverstone, where Hafiq ran at the front of the pack and finished 5th last year.
    This year:
    QP: P 15, 2.35s off pace.

R1: P 18.

R2: P 13.
    Pretty average all round really. Seems that either the competition has moved on significantly, or he has slipped away somewhat.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

Bike
    Nowt any more

BSB Knockhill, Scotland.

QP: P 10, 3.0s off lead. Not so bad, about where he has been all season in BSB Motostar champs.

Race: DNF on lap 5.

Results seem very strange with two leading riders also DNF on lap 16. Only two riders finished on lead lap, incl Hafiqs "KTM team mate" Tarran MacKenzie who finished 2nd.

Bike
    A fast one
    Wadaja reckon Steve.
    Is he one of the less experienced young guys!
    Has he hit a plateau..... is this the only riding he is currently doing!
    Other...!
    Interested to hear your thoughts.

Bike
    Nowt any more
    I don't know what to think. He is of course riding BSB MotoStar and Rookies Cup on the same type of bike. I have heard that other riders can have trouble getting the KTM to work for them, such as Bradley Rey, but he seems to have sorted it.
    One comment that has been made is that he just relys on luck to get him round the track.
    I can only assume that he really is not applying himself in the manner that is required, maybe has gotten a dose of teenage arrogance.
    At this rate there will be no year 3 in Rookies Cup I would think.

Bike
    A fast one
    Yes it can be a battle to keep them young uns focused. However committed they seem one minute nobody (inc them) have any control over teenage behaviour.
    If its only a glitch its a shame to come right now..... as im sure there are many waiting to jump in his seat.
    Hope he gets it together.

Bike
    Nowt any more

Red Bull Rookies Cup Assen

QP 2: P 6 1.1 s off pole.
    Pole to Karel Hanika from Czech Republic, the find of the season in his first year.

Chasing Lopes round towards the end of the session, Hafiq Azmi, the 15 year old Malaysian, leapt up the leader-board to 6th but knows he still has work to do. “My lap times were not consistent, I got in behind Ivo and went fast so I know I can do it. I hope to get a good start tomorrow and fight for a place on the podium.”

Assen Race 1: P 8. Ten riders in lead group separated by 1.3s at flag. Hafiq and another rider together at 11s, then the remainder another 10 s adrift.
    Roll on Saturday.

Race 2: DNF 3 laps from finish, rider OK. Disappointing.

Bike
    Ducati's, Huskie's and Kawasaki's
    Does he have a coach over there besides his Dad?
    "That's rooted!! What's next??"

Bike
    Nowt any more
    The Rookies Cup organisation does some coaching with the riders, but as you can imagine there are alot of riders and fewer coaches. Otherwise, no I don't think so. I did drop some hints, but y'know..... hahaha

Rookies Cup Sachsenring:
    QP: P 12 3.1s off pole.

Weather is really crap!!!

R1: P 8 23.8s from winner.

Group of six riders, at the back of group of six riders at finish. A good finish in the conditions. He beat all three of his BSB competitors, his BSB team mate crashed and he beat the 2011 Rookies champion. Only the leading riders this year in front of him, so this time round a really good result. Cheers to NZ rain weather for experience!!!

R2: P 17. Not flash result, but does not tell the story of the race:

"The ride of the race not rewarded by points certainly went to 15 year old Malaysian Hafiq Azmi who set the fastest lap of the race in an incredible charge through the field. He was 12th on the grid but got pushed back to 18th early and way off the lead group before racing his way forward. He joined the lead pack right at the end but slid out at the top of the hill on the last lap just behind the Loi, Alt, Deroue incident."

Fantastic also that he pick himself up to finish the race and didn't just get the pip.

The weather was something else eh? But the Rookies Cup race was in the dry I think.

Bike
    Good result in tough conditions. From the little snippets we see on Sky the competition is ruthless. He will be maturing as a racer at an exponential rate.

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Updates from Hafiq's Dad, Dato.
    They feel they might have turned a corner. Hope so. They will be sitting out the next round of BSB.

Hi Dr Steve

Good to hear from you,happy with all the progress..
    We had been a way for 4 months from home, I think thats really affected his performance.
    But I think he is making progress in crossing the next bridge!
    He is also skipping this weekend B.Hatch BSB, just to get him refreshed.

Now were already a week in Amsterdam after Sachsenring.
    Leaving for London tomorrow and looking for next available flights to Malaysia

Will try to propose to my sponsor for 2013 nzsbk.
    good thing to visit nz again.

Ciao

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    Will try to propose to my sponsor for 2013 nzsbk.
    good thing to visit nz again.

Ciao
    be really good to have him back , he's a great lad and also it's good for our competitors to mix with riders who they can follow their international results too, not forgetting the Kiwis out there doing it.

Bike
    Nowt any more

Rookies Cup, Misano Circuit Marco Simoncelli

FP and QP in the rain. Only one race this weekend.

Wet practice in NZ clearly has helped a bit, Hafiq qualified 8th, 1.5s off pole.

But the revelations of the season, Karel Hanika (CZE) and Livio Loi (BEL) are in 2nd and 3rd respectively. These kids are something else!

And just to keep you all updated, Tyler Lincoln will be leaving to attend Rookies Cup selection 2013 on 30 Sept.
    He will be spending the week prior to the selection event with the Mettams, Lewis's and Simon Crafar at Magny Cours WSBK meeting. That will get him acclimatised and also get a look at the big show and be able to pick Simons brain.
    Tyler will be accompanied and assisted by Dan Plaisted.

We wish Tyler all the best of luck and the best time on this great adventure.

Cheers

Steve
    Moto Academy NZ

Bike
    A fast one
    Good luck to Tyler............. without sounding like a Tosser i think he will as many others find the level of competition mind-blowing. However the experience will be awesome and he will learn heaps. I hope he takes it all in his stride - enjoys his trip & who knows he might just surprise us all

Bike
    Tyler will win the thing and be picked up for an Italian Moto3 Team. You heard it here first.

Thread Information