Thread: Jay Lawrence's Bridgestone VMCC R4

Bike
    GSX11-tysomething, BMW K100 x2

Jay Lawrence's Bridgestone VMCC R4

Hi guys, sorry I missed doing this last round...

Well, overall a fairly uneventful Round 4 of the Bridgestone Winter Series - good results on paper but still a ways off the front pace. Weather conditions were AWESOME which makes two rounds in a row, surreal almost compared to what I remember it being like a number of years ago!

Qual:

During riders briefing we were warned of lots of oil dropped on track, particularly into turn one and Splash, after the Friday test day. I had splashed out and had a new set of Bridgestones for the first time since Round 1, so I wanted a good time, but at the same time wanted to be careful not to shear the rear as the temperature was still low. I was out fairly late to try and get clear track but ended up riding into traffic instead. After a couple of sighting laps for the oil, and then an aborted fast lap with traffic, I backed off and made a little space and got one last lap in which was good enough for third and on the front row, so would do nicely.

Race 1:

LOOOOONG and slow warm up lap was topped off by an issue with a bike on the grid meaning we were held for a long, looong time waiting. Unfortunately the R1 is not at all patient when it comes to idling and got to temperatures that are not at all good, meaning I had to shut it down. When the grid was cleared I tried to start back up, but with the high temp it didn't want to. I managed to get it going just in time but between my hand being up and some other stuff happening on the grid we were sent around again, where mass confusion ensued - some like myself thinking we would just form up, others coming into pits. Once we were waved through and got back to the pitlane we were held again, so now I was worried about cold tyres AND hot bike. We got sent for a formation lap, and again had a hold up on the grid, to the point where the R1 was boiling over. At that point, Andrew/Skunk called the race off and we got the cancel message on the grid. Now, at this point I have to apologise to CJ the grid marshall - she gave us the cut signal and at this point my temper was running almost as hot as the bike was, I may have said something I shouldn't (I think it was "This is a fucking debacle!") and then ridden off - I had to do that as I figured 125 degrees was enough, however I was very short, so I am sorry.

Race 1, take 2:

After putting another race in between, we reformed for a 2nd attempt. I got an average start, being 4th into turn one. I passed Bryce Meads when he ran too tight into the hairpin, getting a better drive out on the exit and then out braking him into Higgins. Unfortunately there was a red flag at this point so we can back in and then were reformed. My next start wasn't as good, I think I was 4th or 5th into turn one from memory (Sloan had started from pitlane meaning there was one less bike on the grid ahead of me). A pass into splash and the hairpin put me behind Bryce again who was wise to my hairpin strategy by now and used his HP advantage to cover than opportunity. I had a few goes into Higgins but didn't make it stick, getting passed again running down to the sweeper. Jaden on his R6 came past a couple of times too, but I was lucky enough to outbrake him into turn one, and then getting a good slingshot to pass Bryce into Splash - this gave me enough room to put a gap on him before the straights again. After that I thought it was going to be a lonely ride to 2nd behind Craig, but Sloan came steaming past with a couple of laps to run - bugger!

Race 2:

My start was again average; Bryce was getting his fireblade off fourth on the grid spectacularly! He lead turn one from Craig and Sloan. Once Craig and Sloan passed Bryce they had there own race off at the front. I got past Bryce quickly enough but at that point they already had a full straight-length lead and that was still growing dramatically. I rode around by myself putting my PB lap in (1.09.442) but this was almost three seconds off Sloan!

Race 3:

Got a good start, behind just Craig and Sloan, felt like I could almost match them through the infield, although they made huge time up going into Higgins and I got sucked in trying to match them on the brakes, running right out to the edge of the track. This put me back behind Adrian Cox, but I was able to outbrake him on the outside into the Sweeper, doing a bit of a 'Marquez' in the process and wiping across his nose as I tipped in. Jaden got passed him and chased me down, we had a bit of back and forward but he passed me into turn one with three laps to go. I tried to hang with him (and did OK for two laps) however I tried a different line over the oil into turn one on the last lap in an attempt to be close enough to try and pass later in the lap, but I misjudged it (badly!), running wide and dropping well back. I rode a gentle last lap following that and finished fourth. Best lap was again in the mid 9s.

Following this round I am now leading the Bridgestone Winter Series by virtue of Dion Sellers not coming to this meeting. Depending on whether he races again this season, good steady results could bring us a good end of season result, however I am still a little disappointed at the gap between me and the front on lap times. I do have some things to change and try before next round, so if the weather plays ball (it will be the third round in a row, so chances say no...) and the track is in good condition, I would very much like to go into the 8s (would 7s be too greedy?) during the two day meeting next round.

See you all next time!
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    03 Hornet 900, 08 Daytona 675 race bike

Thumbs up

Sounds pretty good to me 1:09's !!
    Good write up as well
    "You never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan

Bike
    XT660r
    Great report Jay,

Looking forward to rd5 too, a nice clean track would be good, two lots of oil and the fuel from the test day didnt help lap times
    Dale Kerrigan: If there's anything Dad loved more than serenity, it was a big two stroke engine on full throttle!

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Great write up Jay. Yes, the start was a debacle... I don't want that again. I'll be taking a break from Clerk of Course so you'll be in good hands next Round!

Craig and Sloan - class of their own at the moment.

Bike
    nothing yet
    looked like some good racing out there......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC9206 (Copy).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	269992  

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    What's this heat business with the R1, does that apply to all of them or do you have no thermostat controlled fan on the racebike to save weight on the assumption it shouldn't need one?
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information