Thread: I come bearing a great (not really) question, GSXR-250 v GSXR-250 R

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GSXR250 / 1989 Honda VFR400

I come bearing a great (not really) question, GSXR-250 v GSXR-250 R

Okay, so I recently sold my bike (about 3 hours ago, it was a FXR150 which was actually hella fun) anyway, I'm looking at a more rockety bike, like gixxer two fiddys, CBR250's, ZXR's and all that I4 learner lot..

Anyway, browsing away through the depths of trademe for a couple of millenia I began to notice that the GSX-R listings varied, in the manner that some were merely listed as GSX-R 250's and some were listed as GSX-R 250 R's..

So I come before your knowledgebase of two wheeled machines that go vroom vroom, asking:

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO?

Cheers :L

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    It was just one of the many models, from memory:
    1987, first of the GSX-R250 range, the G72 I think, steel box frame.
    45hp/138kg.
    '88: New colour options, no mechanical changes but an RR model was made, I have no info on them and have never seen one.
    '89: Was called the GSX-R250R Alloy frame, 18in rear wheel, 45hp/143kg (the 45hp may have been one or two more) the SP model (very rare) had adjustable suspension.
    1990: Still the G73A model but with different colours.

The GSX-R is the least favourite of the 250 4cyls, the ZXR250C (or D model, being the SP nobody remembers) and CBR250RR MC22 are the most popular, probably because they were the best to ride...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    It was just one of the many models, from memory:
    1987, first of the GSX-R250 range, the G72 I think, steel box frame.
    45hp/138kg.
    '88: New colour options, no mechanical changes but an RR model was made, I have no info on them and have never seen one.
    '89: Was called the GSX-R250R Alloy frame, 18in rear wheel, 45hp/143kg (the 45hp may have been one or two more) the SP model (very rare) had adjustable suspension.
    1990: Still the G73A model but with different colours.

The GSX-R is the least favourite of the 250 4cyls, the ZXR250C (or D model, being the SP nobody remembers) and CBR250RR MC22 are the most popular, probably because they were the best to ride...
    Thanks for the info mate, any specific reason why they were the least favourite?

I'm kinda a sucker to the vehicles people overlook, like my cage, a lot of people go on about BMW E30's but there's no chat about the Mercedes equivalent I drive

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream View Post
    Thanks for the info mate, any specific reason why they were the least favourite?

I'm kinda a sucker to the vehicles people overlook, like my cage, a lot of people go on about BMW E30's but there's no chat about the Mercedes equivalent I drive
    I'd say the reason they were least favourite is that the FZR, CBR and ZXR all rode better, the MC19 and ZXR250A were far nicer bikes to ride, the ZXR had better brakes and suspension and the MC19 seemed to have a better mid range, that and the Honda and Kawasaki looked more modern, mad great looking frames etc.

I like E30s I take it you're driving a late 80's E class? Seemingly robust cars
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Compared to the other 3, the gixxer was fucking ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    Suzuki RF600R
    Get a Kawasaki ZXR way better bike.... mine was lots of fun.

Bike
    So after completely ignoring all advice about CBR's and ZXR's I bought a GSX-R yesterday :P

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Ya bloody muppet!!!

Enjoy it mate, you could do a lot worse.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    '91 Suzuki Katana 250
    I did pretty much the same thing as you lol.
    Sold my FXR about a week ago and bought a 250 Katana

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    So after completely ignoring all advice about CBR's and ZXR's I bought a GSX-R yesterday :P
    Good luck. They are the absolute pox to work on.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Pics!

Seen a couple of FXRs around Hamilton. Haven't seen many GSXR 250s only FZRs and CBRs.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    The E190 was a boat on wheels. Took 2 whole performance companies (Cosworth+AMG) to make it not handle like a boat.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Good luck. They are the absolute pox to work on.
    Already discovered that so far :L
    Gives me and my father something to do though.

Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Pics!

Seen a couple of FXRs around Hamilton. Haven't seen many GSXR 250s only FZRs and CBRs.
    Hence why I was keen on a gixxer :P
    Pics will come when I get hold of my mates dSLR, I can't stand taking photos on my bridge camera anymore.. and it's in pretty rough cond atm too :L

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    The GSXR250 and the GSXR250RR are completely different beasts

All the bikes in this shape are basically the same, irrelevant of how many R's they've got and where they are. 2 carbs, painted steel frame, ok but nothing special.

The 250RR like this are a completely different beast, 4 carbs, Major frame differences including being proper alloy, engine components differences, better brakes (same as RGV 250), sportier riding position, lots of common parts to the RGV's in terms of gauges, some pegs, hand controls, brake pads, calipers etc.

Down the front straight of Manfield My RR used to pull 4 bike lengths over a single R.

If you are to buy one get it compression tested and checked out. These are fairly old now and 17,000rpm can cause the valves to require reseating due to valve seat wear
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Thread Information