Thread: Good roads for practicing throttle control and lines

Bike
    250 to a busa and im still alive.

Good roads for practicing throttle control and lines

What are some good twistie roads devoid of grit around chch.
    I been fangin up around the hills and the down hill twisties make me a little nervous on the busa and find it hard to focus on my lines and throttle control. Any ideas?
    Even better i have heard of the infamous KB mentor program any guys around chch who wouldn't mind spending some time with me and teaching me a few things?
    KB - Turning young innocent novice riders into cynical arsehole bikers since ages ago

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    pm onearmedbandit or something..

busa is a fairly big bike but they go nice on the route to akaroa and back, or do a run to hamner springs or something.

you'll get used to it, could get on the track to its easier to get to know your bike out there with no distractions. bang out on a tuesday or friday, 50 bucks for half day open track time if your a member of a bike club.. motorcycling canterbury is only 30 bucks a year i think - otherwise its 100 for half day at ruapuna tuesdays and fridays

Bike
    Your mom
    Take a ride out to Akaroa on SH75. There is a good mix of high speed corners as well as slow ones.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Take a ride out to Akaroa on SH75. There is a good mix of high speed corners as well as slow ones.
    Yea im going to head out to akaroa tis a nice road.
    KB - Turning young innocent novice riders into cynical arsehole bikers since ages ago

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzpure View Post
    Yea im going to head out to akaroa tis a nice road.
    Stay away from that road on weekends and public holidays. A nice weekday afternoon is perfect.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Yeah let me know if you want some pointers.

Bike
    Multi choice.

Practice!

What are some good twistie roads devoid of grit around chch.
    I been fangin up around the hills and the down hill twisties make me a little nervous on the busa and find it hard to focus on my lines and throttle control. Any ideas?
    Even better i have heard of the infamous KB mentor program any guys around chch who wouldn't mind spending some time with me and teaching me a few things?
    Given what you have come from: Learn and practice (and practice more untill too old to ride) On a Busa practice, two stage braking, practice panic stops, practise useing the rear brake to help steer the bike in the tighter turns, practise useing the rear brake to back up the front in panic stops. You will accidentally go too fast and get in a jam and need to get it stopped, this is going to happen to you. The Busa will not stop like a sport bike or a low powered light weight 250, if you over react and grab a handfull of brake at either end of this bike, you will be on the deck. Best place to practise is Ruapuna friday afternoons as mentioned in previous post, between sessions talk to the regular track guys and get pointers you can go to work on staight away.Give Mike at Mainland Motorcycle Training a call, ACC funding has made his courses cheap. Too many variables in the real world for a newbie on a superbike weighing in at 240kg fueled, to be "fanging" in the hills
    Speed kills-just ask the rabbit......

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 300weatherby View Post
    Given what you have come from: Learn and practice (and practice more untill too old to ride) On a Busa practice, two stage braking, practice panic stops, practise useing the rear brake to help steer the bike in the tighter turns, practise useing the rear brake to back up the front in panic stops. You will accidentally go too fast and get in a jam and need to get it stopped, this is going to happen to you. The Busa will not stop like a sport bike or a low powered light weight 250, if you over react and grab a handfull of brake at either end of this bike, you will be on the deck. Best place to practise is Ruapuna friday afternoons as mentioned in previous post, between sessions talk to the regular track guys and get pointers you can go to work on staight away.Give Mike at Mainland Motorcycle Training a call, ACC funding has made his courses cheap. Too many variables in the real world for a newbie on a superbike weighing in at 240kg fueled, to be "fanging" in the hills
    Ok so firstly ""fangin"" was a bit of a misnomer, My ride up the hills was more of a dawdle. Secondly two stage braking? is that when you use front then back once you feel the nose start to dive?3. Yea someone else mentioned practice panic stops which i thought was a good idea so have been doing so (Supermarket car park late at night is good for that) Rear brake to steer better? Is that at low speeds? Also yea i came into a corner up on the hills today (this is the bit that sapped my confidence) was being a little overzealous with the throttle coming into a corner realised i was going well to fast and grabbed the breaks a little too much and the handle bars started slapping from one side to the other (shat my self!) was starting to get the feel of the bike (well i felt like i did) and just came in a little too hot for my skill set and paniced was only doing about 90ish but i sure shat myself...
    I have done some training with mike but its all booked up now otherwise i would already have some booked.

When i get some spare money i will definetly look at getting some track time, will be a better place to practice. But in the mean time i might spend some time doing a couple of cruises out to akaroa and back during the week.

Bike
    Your mom
    Focus on learning how to ride smoothly and having correct lines before you start pushing yourself. If you don't know what you're doing then don't touch the brakes while cornering, unless you're going very slowly in which case you can use the rear brake to help steer the bike (such as when you're turning into a car park at 10kmh). The rear brake can also be useful for maintaining your speed on downhill corners, but use it very sparingly as it WILL lock up quite easily.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Focus on learning how to ride smoothly and having correct lines before you start pushing yourself. If you don't know what you're doing then don't touch the brakes while cornering, unless you're going very slowly in which case you can use the rear brake to help steer the bike (such as when you're turning into a car park at 10kmh). The rear brake can also be useful for maintaining your speed on downhill corners, but use it very sparingly as it WILL lock up quite easily.
    Yes well having my little misshap today certainly took the wind from my sail. I think i'll just keep it simple for now. Get used to the bike and keep practicing my lines. I'll start ringing mike at mainland just incase one of those track days have a cancellation lol.

Bike
    Your mom
    Yes well having my little misshap today certainly took the wind from my sail. I think i'll just keep it simple for now. Get used to the bike and keep practicing my lines. I'll start ringing mike at mainland just incase one of those track days have a cancellation lol.
    Try contacting Dan Ornsby as well, I went on a rider training course with him a few weeks ago that was held in conjunction with Mainland Motorcycle School at Ruapuna. Dan did win all 4 Formula Methven races last weekend so he knows what he's doing when it comes to riding fast.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Practicing, on public roads! Shame on you Have fun.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Practicing, on public roads! Shame on you Have fun.
    I wasn't breaking the speed limit jeez

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Catch up with onearmedbandit for a ride/training someday ....he will MORE than teach you some useful skills.
    A great place to learn is at the ruapuna race track! (they have open days to the public, and its legal to "find your limits" and test your skills)
    Just ride within your own abilities and stay safe, all good things come with time and practice

I personally recommend advanced rider training!, it will teach you all the skills and mind set to survive on the road and the track.

Ride safe mate and enjoy the new bike

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    GS500E
    I practised out on the Old West Coast Rd and progressively made my way up to Arthur's and beyond as I learned the road. Much easier to gain confidence on the bike when you know the road well. An early start avoids the worst traffic although there may be grit soon now.

Thread Information