Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuter hack questions

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi

Commuter hack questions

I'm currently looking at getting the cheapest, shittiest pile of crap as a commuter and my only conditions are:
    Uber cheap, uber simple (I already have a bike that's fast and needs work ) and cheap to fix.
    What it has to do; take me to Te Puke from the Mnawatu and I don't care if I do 90 the whole way...it'll be cheap
    So, I'm left with a short list...
    Shitheap GN250/125s, they're all overpriced!
    Honda GL145s (because I can't afford a tiny CB twin...)
    Ax100s and what not.

Specific info of any use on the AX and GL would be nice, I've had plenty of GN experiences, I had a chinese one for 11,000k and it was crap, the early Jap ones are on the list.

In my mind GN = good, parts are stupidly cheap ($140nz for piston/barrel, under $50 for a gasket set blah blah)
    I can't dig up much on the GL except people do an XR head conversion
    I know nothing about the AX

Any other small, simple, sub $1k shitheaps I'm missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I'm currently looking at getting the cheapest, shittiest pile of crap...
    Shitheap GN250/125
    Honda GL145
    Ax100s

Fuck that, winter's coming. Buy a car.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Fuck that, winter's coming. Buy a car.
    Sold it last week cars anger me, the only ones I like are bloody impractical and tend to do 20mpg or less.
    Can't do mean wheelies in a car bro

I seem to be lead in to thinking an XR200 motor will slide in a GL frame...
    Can anyone confirm?
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    250 to a busa and im still alive.
    buy my 84 cb250rs, Cheap $1k Cheap parts (same motor as the xl250) cheap as all buggery on gas. Bikes in good order and it will do 100kph!
    KB - Turning young innocent novice riders into cynical arsehole bikers since ages ago

Bike
    None - s'fucked
    What about weird engine sizes? Suzuki did that GS500 thing that seem to be a bit of an orphan but seems to be cheap as chips.

Small-ish twin, not going to set the world on fire, but not going to be as boring as batshit either. Should be easy on consumables too.

EDIT: One of these, for example: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-464648645.htm

What's your budget?
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzpure View Post
    buy my 84 cb250rs, Cheap $1k Cheap parts (same motor as the xl250) cheap as all buggery on gas. Bikes in good order and it will do 100kph!
    I would be tempted, but you're a bit far away mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully View Post
    What about weird engine sizes? Suzuki did that GS500 thing that seem to be a bit of an orphan but seems to be cheap as chips.

Small-ish twin, not going to set the world on fire, but not going to be as boring as batshit either. Should be easy on consumables too.

EDIT: One of these, for example: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-464648645.htm

What's your budget?
    Good bike them.
    I want sub $1k, anything considered in the lower north island.
    I'm tight, don't care how much power it has (I have 100hp to fluff around with in the garage) just want something uber super cheap/basic.

I'm leaning towards the GN just because of parts availability, I cannot find any solid info on the GL and interchanging parts.
    I bloody despise GNs too!

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    A blue one
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully View Post

What's your budget?
    ironic really but the Suzuki GSX ( Invader ) and the GS500 share the same running gear
    to fit the 500 donk you just remove a spacer..
    Gn's well generally nasty however they go and go unless you remove the oil..

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Then I saw your budjet.....
    Na you would not buy a new bike that would do potentially 100k a with only normal servicing and return 74mpg, and do 120kph

$4000 + orc
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Uber cheap, uber simple (I already have a bike that's fast and needs work ) and cheap to fix.
    What it has to do; take me to Te Puke from the Mnawatu and I don't care if I do 90 the whole way...it'll be cheap
    So, I'm left with a short list...

"Tell 'im he's dreamin'..."

Better chance of finding a live unicorn - one of your equations above won't pan out.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I had a GL bucket bike and there is bugger all info on them as I think they were a 'grey' import....maybe if yo Google in Malay or Japanese...
    On the subject of cheap shitters, I bought a 200cc 25 year old Yamaha scooter off a mate for $350.00.....with 3 months of reg.....for a hoot.
    Well I use it most days for my 40km city commute and its fun.....and 30kmph to the litre....zbout $10 a week....my diesel van that takes $120 to fill up sits in the drive.
    Had it on the motorway the other day.....can do over 100kmph.....
    I had an SL 100 once and the much later XR 200 fits straight in.....so 1972 Honda 125...cheap reg....XR motor..... save 400 a year on rego as it goes on the frame.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-464833623.htm

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    I seem to be lead in to thinking an XR200 motor will slide in a GL frame...
    Can anyone confirm?
    XR200 motors will fit in practically anything with new mounts. Can't see why it won't fit in that...
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    "Tell 'im he's dreamin'..."

Better chance of finding a live unicorn - one of your equations above won't pan out.
    I've done it before several times

Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    Then I saw your budjet.....
    Na you would not buy a new bike that would do potentially 100k a with only normal servicing and return 74mpg, and do 120kph

$4000 + orc
    I don't want a new bike, I want the rattiest heap of shit I can find. I need one whilst I wait for parts for my 600, hence why I'm not wanting to spend $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I had a GL bucket bike and there is bugger all info on them as I think they were a 'grey' import....maybe if yo Google in Malay or Japanese...
    On the subject of cheap shitters, I bought a 200cc 25 year old Yamaha scooter off a mate for $350.00.....with 3 months of reg.....for a hoot.
    Well I use it most days for my 40km city commute and its fun.....and 30kmph to the litre....zbout $10 a week....my diesel van that takes $120 to fill up sits in the drive.
    Had it on the motorway the other day.....can do over 100kmph.....
    I had an SL 100 once and the much later XR 200 fits straight in.....so 1972 Honda 125...cheap reg....XR motor..... save 400 a year on rego as it goes on the frame.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-464833623.htm
    I'd rock a 200cc scoot.
    That CT90 is rather cool...hmmm, will keep my eye on that
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC. View Post
    XR200 motors will fit in practically anything with new mounts. Can't see why it won't fit in that...
    My thoughts exactly.
    Problem being,
    The GN is the slut of small bikes and parts for GN/DR motors are incredibly cheap/easy to get.
    The GL145 on the other hand is harder to get bits for.

I'll wiegh up the pros and cons of both, buy one, beat the shit out of it and sell it when my baby is back on the road.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    i got me a xl250 for my winter riding and it was free

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    That's my kind of deal!

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    I've done it before several times

I don't want a new bike, I want the rattiest heap of shit I can find. I need one whilst I wait for parts for my 600, hence why I'm not wanting to spend $$$:
    I was thinking of the cost vs reliability factor.

Cheap is the last thing you appreciate when the dinger conks out on a wet day miles from anywhere and you're on a time-table...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information