Thread: New Speed Triple Owner needs advice

Bike
    RAT Speed Triple

New Speed Triple Owner needs advice

Hi Guys,

I recently got myself a 2003 Speed triple which I love and I am slowly learning about.so far everything has been great however today being fine but quite frosty here is Wellingon I decided to take the trumpy to work.Well I didnt make it out of the driveway. She has to date started on the fourth turnover today she managed that but was really sluggish in the process, when she fired up the Check engine light came on and she ran really rough idling quite low. I attempted to ride it around the block but everytime I pulled the clutch in it died when I shut her down and restarted it the same rough running behaviour.Now as I have only had it a short time I'm guessing the first thing to check is the Battery then the charging system, so is it likely once the battery is charged up it will start and run as normal again? and if so that engine check light how do I turn that off?

Anyone with a 955i had this before?

Many thanks

Regards
    O1

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Congrats on your "new to you" Speedy. oh and where are the farking pics Mr?

I’d be inclined to check/clean the clutch switch, battery terminals, and spark plugs.

Once you’ve done that and if all is running well but the engine light is still on, it could be that your ECU is a little confoozed, so it needs to be re-set.

I read this somewhere …

Start your bike from cold. Don’t touch the throttle.
    Allow the bike to idle until the cooling fan cuts in.
    Once the fan is cut in wait a moment then switch off.

The ECU should then reset all the settings.
    For some reason the ECU gets a glitch in it and this will reset it back to what it should be

If you have cleaned/checked the clutch switch, battery terminals, and spark plugs and it still running like puss, then I'm fucked if I know, and talk to someone who is a little more mechanically minded
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    a red heap
    If you get it running sweet with no problems the engine check light will go out after 3 full heat cycles.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    My 955 had hiccups once,traced it back to a loose battery terminal,

Also cheak your 30amp fuse's that there is no over heating of the plastic if there is it will be most likely the left hand one,that can indicate a fault in charging system if your concerned about it run a multi meter over the reg/rect or get someone to cheak it,

Bike
    none...I gota sail boat
    these triples can be a bit touchy when cold too, don't give em a big rev till its over 50 odd degrees, theres a few charging system mods for wiring that can assist with leaking voltage issues, it's taken me a coupla of attempts to sort mine out..
    Hater of haters since 2012

Bike
    RAT Speed Triple
    Thanks Everyone for the replies,

I will give the battery a decent charge reinstall and see if that makes a difference, as the bike was running fine beforehand
    I'm hoping the low voltage upset a few things icluding causing the low idle rough running.Thanks Nodrog for the info about
    getting rid of the check engine light situation.

Cheers
    O1

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post

[I][B]Start your bike from cold. Don’t touch the throttle.
    Allow the bike to idle until the cooling fan cuts in.
    Once the fan is cut in wait a moment then switch off.
    Make that 12 minutes from when the fan starts.

So the whole job takes a bit over quarter of an hour during which, at no stage, will you be tempted to play with the throttle.
    A search of the Triumph RAT Forums will show numerous threads during which the "12 minute tune-up" is mentioned.
    Of course it takes somewhat over 1/4 of an hour but it can be time well spent.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Being a 2003 model; any chance the battery is 8 years old?

Be interesting to see if it holds a charge once you have re-charged it. Would also be interesting to know what the voltage drops to across the terminals when you try and crank it over.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The most recent copy of the UK Superbike mag I have (last months?) has a huge article on speed triples & it mentions battery issues, difficult starting & the warning light coming on but resetting itself for the next time you start it. They also went to a bigger battery because of this issue. Does not give great depth to the issue, though. It could be that simple.... cold weather + tired battery?

Bike
    RAT Speed Triple
    Thanks Guys,

I had the Battery tested, its one of those yellow Motobatt batteries and was told its fine by the Guy at Batterycell Petone Cool place BTW.
    So on the positives I know the batterys ok and the bikes charging systems is working. Downside while she starts the idle is rough and gets lower and lower.
    I checked out the 12 minute tuneup and was hopefull until I read its just for the 1050's not the 955's

Cheers
    O1

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    The most recent copy of the UK Superbike mag I have (last months?) has a huge article on speed triples & it mentions battery issues
    Read that article too, it also mentions something about the 03 having issues with water pooling in the spark plug recess/well, causing it to run like it has lost a cylinder. They said replacing the seal can stop this from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
    Thanks Guys,
    Did you check spark plugs?
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    Read that article too, it also mentions something about the 03 having issues with water pooling in the spark plug recess/well, causing it to run like it has lost a cylinder. They said replacing the seal can stop this from happening.

Did you check spark plugs?
    Omega1....the water pooling can be a problem if the coil hasn't been inserted properly into the plug recess,and recommend that you smear some vaseline or waterproof grease around the top of the coil once you have finished cheaking , since you have taken the time too get too the spark plugs note their condition and from what cylinder they came from and put new plugs in,

make sure as your pulling your tank and airfilter box off that the sensor plugs are actually connected where they should be and havn't come off due too a faulty plug,and that the lower part airfilter box is fitted to the throttle bodies correctly,...on the left hand side of the airfilter body there is a drain hose post the filter make sure it still has its bung in there......

Important too be careful when removing the fuel hose's from the tank and which way they go round,and those nylon hose clips things on the tank are around $45 each that was a year ago.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Whats the bike run like when its up to temp is it injected i assume yes.

can you try turning the idle up my bike with carbs read (old) on choke if leave it idling with to little choke it slows down

How about the air filter i think most carbs bikes do run bit funny when cold but thought injection fixed that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I recently got myself a 2003 Speed triple which I love and I am slowly learning about.so far everything has been great however today being fine but quite frosty here is Wellingon I decided to take the trumpy to work.Well I didnt make it out of the driveway. She has to date started on the fourth turnover today she managed that but was really

Regards
    O1

Bike
    RAT Speed Triple
    Just an update - got the shop to check the bike over, they drained the fuel tank including 1 cup ish of water... straightened out a kinked vacuum hose (likely connected to the ivac/stepper motor system) reset the ECU and topped it all off with a new set of plugs. So she's all good now. Apparently the fuel tank drain hoses can block forcing excess water into the tank dunno if that was why the water got in or a bought it from the petrol station with my usual top up.

Thanks to all for the advice

Cheers
    O1

Thread Information