Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many accidents have you had and what caused it/them?

Bike
    GSXR1000K7,GSXR1100K.

How many accidents have you had and what caused it/them?

I've been reading the Safety in Motorcycling thread which got me to thinking about my own conduct on a bike, the accidents I've had, their causes etc.

I'm 43 and have been riding since 14. Have travelled about 350,000kms on bikes. I have my fair share of times when I've ridden like a FUCKWIT. Never been done DIC, but did lose my licence once for excessive speed.
    MY ACCIDENTS.
    Two crashes in the first month of riding wearing bugger all gear. A mate gave me his bike and gave me a 30 second brief on the controls, then I was off. A couple of grazes and hurt pride.
    Rode into a drain (inattention, object fixation, and lack of skill).
    Hit by a car that ran a red light. Full gear, very lucky, just a few bruises. Just needed a change of drawers!
    Another car failed to give way and I clipped the back of it then slid down the road. Good gear, but a dislocated shoulder.
    Went off the end of a bend (too fast and inattention). Bumps and bruises.

Between myself and six mates, we have had an accident (thus far) every 50,000 - 80,000kms, and two thirds of our accidents are our own stupid fault!
    Lastly, I have known five guys who have died on bikes and of those, three were rider error, one was arguable, and one was a car driver.
    So to me more than half of the 'blame' for motorcycle accidents should be shouldered by us.

How does this compare to everybody else? Are my mates and I short on skill and long on luck?
    Cheers.

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    2 decent crashes im guessing ive done 80.000kms
    first
    my fault
    too fast for conditions i misjudged a 55km corner and it contained gravel so i did a super man up a bank and landed in long grass
    no damage to me apart from bruised ego 80-100kms crash
    fixed bike in 3 days (including all fairings) clipons and radiator

second crash a year later
    i arrived a accident scene mid corner ( devils staircase) mid rally
    and i had to take evasive action up a rocky bank no damage to me, but passenger had a nice bruise on her ass thats all,
    she recovered fine!! wimin dont need to sit in the kitchen anyway

the accident was a car vs bike mid blind corner and my m8 is still recovering almost 2 years later the car was over the centre line and my m8 hit it head on with his late model triumph America he suffered 1 broken leg 2x fractured hands
    i arrived 3 minutes later to about 10 ppl standing in the middle of the farking road they looked a bit worried when i arrived to the apex luckly i went for the bank and not them or the bike or the cars parked everywhere
    i had to go out and stop the oncoming traffic myself!!!!!!!!! ffs

its now a posted 75 km corner
    wasnt when i went thru

also it appears the 2 crashes ive had
    i always found different color fairings or bumpers in the same locations

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Two what I'd call accidents in 43 years of riding. And a couple of gazillion km's I suppose - no idea really.

1.) Newbie rider, got rolled by a car failing to give way when he was turning right, across my path. He didn't look. I didn't look well enough either. These days I'd be well aware that he wasn't watching me and would be ready to evade or stop.

2.) On the track. Had the brilliant idea that I could dive through the corner inside that oil spill from the last race. Guess what? WRONG!

Couple of "involuntary dismounts" as well but hardly in the "accident" category. Once when there was wet cement on the back tyre. Low speed lowside. No damage to man or machine. Then a front wheel scrub-out on a newly sealed driveway. Embarrassing but no damage of note.

Oh and I ran into a sheep on the road once. I was fine. The sheep disappeared so I guess it was OK too...bent brake pedal.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

Over thirty years since I got my bike licence, only really been back on a bike for the last 4 - 5 yrs after nearly 17 yrs (thanks kids) without one, but all the really close calls I've had, have almost exclusively been down to me not paying ATTENTION and making sure of the car drivers intentions before committing myself.
    No actual offs involving others on the road at all and I intend to keep it that way.
    Puddy what you have said is 100% correct for me and I reckon for many others who will honestly critique their own performance the results would be the same.
    Ol Katman is closer to the truth of this matter than many here in KB land would like to think and I support his stance and his message. We need to be seen to be taking responsibility for our own actions as motorcycle riders before we can expect that any other road users will give us the time of day.
    Many motorcycle riders ride hard, when appropriate, a lot just ride hard and think it's their God Given to do so, these are the riders who continually give the rest of us a bad rep with Joe public and of course our Gubberminty officials.
    Change from within if it can be achieved is the actual answer, putting two fingers in the air and saying F u all I'll ride as I please will continue to lower our standing with the general community and the law/lawmakers.
    There ya go Patrick, I've said it and I stand by it, stand by for incoming.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    45yrs old and been riding on road since 14(off road since 7) 2 crashes. CB750 when I was 15, wet corner,too fast,stoned. Few grazes and bruises. T500 18yrs long straight, big left,no talent, off road over fence into paddock,sprained foot, blood nose.Heaps of offs off road though. They have all been my fault.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    GSXR1000K7,GSXR1100K.
    On almost every KB ride that I have attended where there has been 20 or more bikes, there has been an accident, and they have all been pilot error. Seems to me that the best thing that we could do to be safer when riding is pull our heads out.....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    A few when I was a youngun trying too hard, running out of rubber / ground clearnce. Otherwise I'm touching wood as I type (Kauri ya sicko). Nothing for decades.

Bike
    None any more
    There are few occasions when motorcycle accidents aren't due to rider error. Most of mine can be attributed to that cause.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    a smurf
    ts185er = flipping it while 2 up going up a steep hill

vt250 = car driver doing uturn in front of me and taking me out

gsxr750 = write off due to speed on my part and car pulling out of drive way, both car and bike were writen off

gsxr1100 - write off due to low side while leaning over to far and giving it to much gas tryin to show off

yamaha r1 = write off due to bald tyre and to much gas while getting knee down on the road in front of mates

and im sure there have been a few others in there to, but they are the main ones..

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    3 of them. Two were due to being a knob, on was due to being a blind and inattentive noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2000 A1 Kawasaki ZX-12R
    4 decent offs in nearly twenty odd years of road riding, all can be attributed to my own rider error..
    1. KDX200, day time ran wide on a bend and lowsided into a box kerb, pride the main casualty but a few bruises to show
    2. ZX-10 (the original one), night time fresh road works that had a half arsed tidy up performed by the council "workers", lowsided on the loose stuff throwing my pillion and I off and across the road, thankfully no oncoming traffic and the bike was rideable
    3. ZX-10 wet weather, day time, I was followng too close and was unaware of the car in front of the car in front of me which was sitting in the middle of the road, the car in front of me braked heavily and to this day I still swear he had no brake lights because I had no time to react before realising the car in front of me was at a standstill. locked the rear up, rear end came around and I highsided over bike into a tree while bike struck the box kerb and cartwheeled into same tree. the worst aspect of this was I was briefly unconscious and when I came to someone was trying to remove my helmet. bike was pretty buggered but I felt ok until I woke up after a sleep then I felt pain everywhere.. was only 100m from home so wheeled her home and shipped her off to bike shop for expensive repairs.
    4. Bandit 400, night time, speeding up Ngaio Gorge and failed to brake early enough for a right hander, went straight over kerb and into bushes much to the amusement of the drivers I had just passed. no damage to bike aside from busted clutch lever and bent gear selector.

My accidents can be attributed to rider inattention and the two on my trusty ZX-10, which I did over 50,000 Km on were also a result of being impaired by a natural substance grown extensively here in NZ.. the first on the KDX can be attributed to inexperience and the fourth one to sheer stupidity. but they were all my fault. as an aside all of my crashes except the one on the Bandit occurred prior to undertaking any formal training and I now attend as many training courses as I can because I feel they do improve my skills and keep me aware of what to do when things come up.

I am a far more attentive rider since the second crash on my ZX-10 and I am also a rider who believes in trusting no one not car drivers, bike riders, pedestrians or truckies.

I have also lost several mates to bike crashes one of them hit a cow at an estimated 200Kph and killed the cow, totally destroyed his ZX-7R and left very little of himself whilst another, one of my closest friends, was killed when some drunk walked out in front of him and stopped in the middle of the road to make him swerve, with no distance to react he was unable to swerve, struck the drunk and was thrown into a pole and died instantly while the pedestrian is a paraplegic. his GSX-R750WT was virtually unmarked aside from minor gravel rash..
    "oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    1 year, 19,000km, 0 offs.

Must be bulletproof....

Have nearly:
    • Hit a cow
    • Hit a buffalo
    • Hit a bunch of horses
    • Been wiped out practising emergency braking in the wet
    • Been wiped out from tankslappers
    • Been wiped out due to roundabout cutoffs
    • Been wiped out in a corner due to tar-snakes
    Lets hope I'll only add to the list of nearly's.

Bike
    A
    Two accidents in my 25 plus years and 750000 km plus. Both largely my fault, both happened in first year on a bike.

First one was front end washout on a slippery patch in a bend, just started raining. Minor damage to bike, ego badly bruised.

Second was rear ending a car at low speed, just not watching the road closely enough....distracted by a skirt and long legs on sidewalk. Car and bike with minor damage, ego fared worse.

Since then, mostly near misses, which get fewer as you gain experience. Worst is livestock on the loose, very unpredictable, bit like commuters running late for work....

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    A couple of stationary drops. One when learning - no damage to anything. Another at the cold kiwi on snow - again no damage.

Only done about 35,000kms total and had an off 2 weeks ago. 100% rider error (end of a long ride, inattentive, running wide on exit, into ditch, tucked the front). Only going about 40kph at the time. Needed help to get the bike off.

Speedy will return....
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    1st month of riding I panic braked and ran into gravel at ~30kph out clevedon way, had managed to slow the bike from some insane speed (for an nsr). Sore shoulder for a few weeks and some plastic welding on the bike. Had been riding like an absolute squid so was so so lucky. On the same road on the same day someone had died running wide into a truck.

Since then (10-12 years ago) 2 recent lowsides at track days. I don't really count these as I'm there to find the limits in a relatively safe environment. But shit they've been expensive.
    Ciao Marco

Thread Information