Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What bogan is bashing together

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    1500 to 3000 rpm is the good range. I added a third bearing on the other side of the eccentric weight to remove the bending moment on the shaft because the shaft looked a little small (7mm).
    That sounds alot like electric drill speed. My workmates should keep their vans locked at all times.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    A blue one

very nice work Mr Bogan,

that is a lot of weight hanging off your bridge, but i do like how you have done your collet holder..
    be interesting to see the life span of your open bearings though?

as for vibration? your using a bridge system on steel legs one that we built like that
    we filled the legs with foundry sand to add mass to the unit .. ( normal sand does not work )
    though lead shot is good but just as dear..

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    that is a lot of weight hanging off your bridge, but i do like how you have done your collet holder..
    be interesting to see the life span of your open bearings though?

as for vibration? your using a bridge system on steel legs one that we built like that
    we filled the legs with foundry sand to add mass to the unit .. ( normal sand does not work )
    though lead shot is good but just as dear..
    Yeh, they are big bearings, and I'll run a oil lube system for them and the slides later on, so I'm hopefull they will last for a while, at least until I can offord to replace them with angluar contact ones.

Have considered filling the legs, but I'll wait until I've identified where the main vibration is coming from, and fixed that first. As sand fill makes it a bit harder to modify if required. I think comercial ones use some epoxy like fill to add mass and remove vibrations, probly dearer than sand though!
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    A blue one
    Yeh, they are big bearings, and I'll run a oil lube system for them and the slides later on, so I'm hopefull they will last for a while, at least until I can offord to replace them with angluar contact ones.

Have considered filling the legs, but I'll wait until I've identified where the main vibration is coming from, and fixed that first. As sand fill makes it a bit harder to modify if required. I think comercial ones use some epoxy like fill to add mass and remove vibrations, probly dearer than sand though!
    just nick a scott oil off someones bike at the next rally problem solved haha..
    reminds me to lube my chain ( little slack on that )

resin has no weight to it, however it does dampen vibration. that gorilla space foam
    is the ducks nuts for doing that works real well in sprint car wings

your using linear slides? you don't want to lube those else the ball race bearings in them
    gather up all the dust and crap and chew themselves to bits given that all your slides are
    above the cutting area way covers would be fine..

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    your using linear slides? you don't want to lube those else the ball race bearings in them
    gather up all the dust and crap and chew themselves to bits given that all your slides are
    above the cutting area way covers would be fine..
    Won't they pick up the crap regardless of whether they are oiled or not though? Plan is to use covers top and bottom, and force foam filtered air into that area, which should keep the dust content minimal, and oil will reduce wear and friction.

I've been having more of a bash at the parts vibrator, upgraded from a 80g weight to a 300g weight today. But now the bigger parts just float around on the top, might change from a horizontal spin plane to a vertical one and see if that makes a difference. Also, does anybody know of a place that sells bowl replacements for commercial units? I think using one of those should get better results than the plastic bowl I got from the warehouse... good old feature creep
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Won't they pick up the crap regardless of whether they are oiled or not though? Plan is to use covers top and bottom, and force foam filtered air into that area, which should keep the dust content minimal, and oil will reduce wear and friction.

I've been having more of a bash at the parts vibrator, upgraded from a 80g weight to a 300g weight today. But now the bigger parts just float around on the top, might change from a horizontal spin plane to a vertical one and see if that makes a difference. Also, does anybody know of a place that sells bowl replacements for commercial units? I think using one of those should get better results than the plastic bowl I got from the warehouse... good old feature creep
    Make a gun (you know you can) and hold up a very big Chinese takeaway shop and take their wok, and an egg foo yung thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Make a gun (you know you can) and hold up a very big Chinese takeaway shop and take their wok, and an egg foo yung thank you.
    I think the commercial ones are more donut shaped, and bits go around the outside while the center shakes the most. A wok would just throw thousands of plastic cones all over the floor!

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I think the commercial ones are more donut shaped, and bits go around the outside while the center shakes the most. A wok would just throw thousands of plastic cones all over the floor!
    I have to admit I am no physics buff but put a bloody lid on it
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I have to admit I am no physics buff but put a bloody lid on it
    yeh, but then when I take the lid off to see how the parts are circulating....

guess I could find a clear lid, but it'll all be smashing up against it, which is not good circulation either

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    yeh, but then when I take the lid off to see how the parts are circulating....

guess I could find a clear lid, but it'll all be smashing up against it, which is not good circulation either
    Well, that was the total of my helpfulness for the year as you were!

Hang on...how 'bout a bath tub? Or chop the top out of my munted tank lol

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    A blue one

Ok

the comerical ones are donut shaped, ( mine is )

the media then rotates around the tub and parts
    tumble better

yes parts do float to the surfaced
    ( had a swing arm in for six hours once bloody thing was like a sharkfin! )

we tend to add more liquid to the shaker and gives it greater distance to
    the media ( hard to explain really you want that quicksand effect )

the other thing I have on mine is a VSD ( variable speed drive ) and change
    the motorspeed to sometimes get parts to settle into the media..

as for dust and crap out of slides, slide covers are good, don't bother about
    forcing air into the area ( have a dedicated grinding room instead )

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    6 hours eh, that's just a quick session by my standards

mine is just a DC motor on a variable power supply, so I have adjusted the speed best I can. They seem to be going around a bit better now that I have got a donut shaped bowl sorted. Haven't tried it with the plastic cones yet though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020268.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	584.5 KB 
ID:	263978  

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Aha, it'll cut aluminum now

Spindle is a bit underpowered, but taking shallower cuts keeps it going alright, and I've got a few plans to fix it.

Name:	P1020315.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	623.7 KB 
ID:	265259  

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Good progress bro!

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Milled the first production part this arvo came out nicely, and nothing caught fire. Also got a lathe, partially so I can turn stuff, but mainly so I can hook the coolant pump up and run flood coolant on the mill

Name:	120708-IMAG0031.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	480.7 KB 
ID:	266108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120708-IMAG0033.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	763.2 KB 
ID:	266109  

Thread Information