Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoses. Never given 'em much thought really

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250

Hoses. Never given 'em much thought really

Bloke on the TL site decided to do a group buy on these Samco hoses,upon reading the thread it occurred to me that my old S still has the originals...doubt theres much wrong with them or is there after 17 years?Anyway decided to grab a set of these,couldnt bring myself to go with any of the fancy colours so just went black,even then theres a choice of matt or shinyDont know about there claims to reduce operating temp by 15% nor do i really care to be honest.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    There is a choice of matt or shiny.
    Not enough information. You picked shiny or matt?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Not enough information. You picked shiny or matt?
    Matt,colour of my old S is garish enough without bright coloured shiny things all over it.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Dont know about there claims to reduce operating temp by 15% nor do i really care to be honest.
    Well I'd fucking care, a 15% reduction in operating temp is 15% less than the bike's manufacturer designed it to run at.

In fact I'd care enough to steer well clear of any product claiming such bullshit, if the thermostat is doing it's job then there's no way in hell changing a hose or two is going to affect it whatsoever.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Well I'd fucking care, a 15% reduction in operating temp is 15% less than the bike's manufacturer designed it to run at.

In fact I'd care enough to steer well clear of any product claiming such bullshit, if the thermostat is doing it's job then there's no way in hell changing a hose or two is going to affect it whatsoever.
    Likely the claim is that operates lower average temperatures up to 15%.
    15% seems a large percentage. Unlikely hoses would achieve that on a modern bike.
    Maybe on some older bikes with very thick long rubber hoses and not very efficient radiators.
    Thermo controlling the radiator only really determines the stage the coolant can start circulating and isn't even necessary but bike will take longer to warm up without it. The fan thermostat only starts the fan at a set point when temperatures are getting on the high side.

I can tell you a bunch of K100 riders group purchased this brand and were very happy with them. I think the black hoses are/were available without branding also for the K100.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Likely the claim is that operates lower average temperatures up to 15%.
    15% seems a large percentage. Unlikely hoses would achieve that on a modern bike.
    Maybe on some older bikes with very thick long rubber hoses and not very efficient radiators.
    Thermo controlling the radiator only really determines the stage the coolant can start circulating and isn't even necessary but bike will take longer to warm up without it. The fan thermostat only starts the fan at a set point when temperatures are getting on the high side.

I can tell you a bunch of K100 riders group purchased this brand and were very happy with them. I think the black hoses are/were available without branding also for the K100.
    I have a set on the 525. But the fact is the thermostat regulates coolant flow in order to manage engine temperature within a pretty narrow range all the time, not simply to warm the engine up quicker on startup. Changing hoses will have zero effect on engine running temp unless the system radiator is undersized or otherwise poorly designed.

Or, as with the 525 the OE hoses had holes in the sides as well as the ends.

Bike

May well have worded it wrong either way i still dont care,i needed some hoses i bought some just like when ive needed a can ive bought one and ignored the manufacturers claims of a gazzilon or even 10hp gain by simply fitting there can.

Bike
    Ok...not saying i care but for interests sake i had a gander on Samcos website and cant find anything re the claim of 15% so will put it down to the bloke on the TL site being mis-informed etc etc theres nothing in it for him so doubt he made it up.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Ok...not saying i care but for interests sake i had a gander on Samcos website and cant find anything re the claim of 15% so will put it down to the bloke on the TL site being mis-informed etc etc theres nothing in it for him so doubt he made it up.
    Theres a professional drag racer in the testimonials claiming a temp reduction of 5 degrees.
    Also a very big list of race teams using these hoses in different vehicle types.

Bike
    Theres a professional drag racer in the testimonials claiming a temp reduction of 5 degrees.
    Also a very big list of race teams using these hoses in different vehicle types.
    Whilst at it i had a gander on the TL site with the search button,guys were claiming 2 degree reduction blah blah blah All gets a bit silly really.End of day they seem a good product so job done.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    What are they like price wise? Im doing a CBR600 F2 Streetfighter and its hoses are stuffed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    May well have worded it wrong either way i still dont care,i needed some hoses i bought some just like when ive needed a can ive bought one and ignored the manufacturers claims of a gazzilon or even 10hp gain by simply fitting there can.
    Can't argue with that, I go to great lengths to ignore advertising of any sort. Why on earth would anyone take any notice of someone with a direct financial interest in having you believe anything whatsoever they have to say about their product?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    What are they like price wise? Im doing a CBR600 F2 Streetfighter and its hoses are stuffed.
    Probably expensive compared to oemthen again maybe not,truth is ive never bought a set of hoses in 40 years of motorcycling so nothing to compare it to.These cost me $170us landed on the doorstep.(well they will have when they get here.)That price was through a group buy setup so probably a bit cheaper than normal.https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...96783405,d.dGY

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Link? Water Wetter had a test rig, (basically an engine with the thermostat removed) and claimed their product ran X degrees cooler than some others. So what? with the thermostat in the temperature is whatever the thermostat says. I'd be more likely to buy something that managed corrosion and galvanic issues in the engine better.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Link? Water Wetter had a test rig, (basically an engine with the thermostat removed) and claimed their product ran X degrees cooler than some others. So what? with the thermostat in the temperature is whatever the thermostat says. I'd be more likely to buy something that managed corrosion and galvanic issues in the engine better.
    Its in the Samco UK home site then in testimonials.
    http://www.samcosport.com/uk/
    I was searching for claims about temp drops and there isn't any relating to 15% on their site. I think the claim in the testimonials was 225degree down t 220degree (107 Celsius). That's just my memory because im not going to read testimonials again.

Thread Information