Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Classic sidecars, Taupo 28-29 April

Bike
    a red heap

Report: Classic sidecars, Taupo 28-29 April

This is my account of my first ever time racing a Sidecar (or anything for that matter) at NZCMRR Taupo Autumn classic 28-29 April on track 2.

Some pieces may be Embelished for added awesomeness.

The Sidecar was number 95 BMW R90 supplied by Steve Bryan.

Turned up at the track at some stupidly early time for a Saturday, I think the last time I was up at 6.30 on a saturday was Christmas morning 1982. After unpacking the BMW and all our gear I went to sign on and had all my gear checked out, with all the nice people helping me since I was new and clueless.

Then it was back to the pit to sit around and basically scare myself waiting for first practice.

First Practice -

Up until this point the only time I had even sat on the Sidecar was 3 feet up in the air on its trolley to set up the pedals before we loaded it into the van. Sitting on it on the ground with the engine going was a truely awesome feeling, until Steve explained that if I stalled it and didnt start it properly the starter motor would basically fly off and take my nut sack with it. Leaving the pits and, yep, I stalled it, after managing to start it with my testicles still attached (joy) we were off.

First hurdle was getting through the gate without wiping Steve off the chair, success! Now I was out on the track for the first time in 3 years (and that was just a track day) with this weird handling 3 wheeled thing that was born a motorcycle but is trying to grow into a car. My first lap was spent trying to work out how I was going to make this thing go around corners, basically I had to forget all my motorcycling knowledge, and common sense, and just deal with what was happening.

The rest of practice was spent chopping on and off the throttle out of the turns like I was 17 again and doings skids in my datsun 120Y at the Ruakaka Metal dump, I got a growling for that.

Second practice -

After getting some feedback on what I was doing, I decided I would concerntrate on being smoother on the gas and trying to find some lines I felt comfortable with, Steve said not to worry about him, and how he liked long walks in the park, so I planned on getting him out over the grass abit further. It was all going good, Nek Miniute, we are chucking a little bit of a circle at turn 5, in the middle of the track. In the mad panic I got the rig started and we were off, lucky Steve was onto it and jumped back on, because I hadnt even noticed he had decided to stretch his legs for a bit.

The rest of practice was spent trying to stay on the track, and trying to stop the poo running down my leg.

Race 1 -

After what seemed like a extremly long lunch break I thought it would be a good idea to see what our grid position was, lol, it was middle of the front row. It was decided that getting caught up in a mad dash for turn 1 in my first race probably wasnt a good idea, so we started from the fourth row.

On the grid I was shaking like a dog shitting razor blades, staring at the lights wondering if they go green, red, or what. Then I notice the man with the flag, oops, now we are off piling into the first corner.

I cant really tell you much about race 1, I cant remember much off it (I think I had my eyes closed for most of it) but Steve reckons we passed a few people and we came home in 7th.

Back to the pits and it was time for a beer (and change of undies)

Race 2 -

After a shit nights sleep and an awesome feed of bacon and eggs, it was off to the track and into race 2.

I decided that I would put all of my sidecar racing career knowledge (all 6.5 mins of it) into this race. After getting a good start and getting cleanly past a few people we came home in 6th running consistant 1.35s.

Race 3 -

We got mobbed into turn 1 and ended up following a few people for too long before passing, I was being too polite as I didnt want to upset anybody, afterall it was only my second day. I was trying to make up for lost time by closing my eyes and just biffing it into the corners, and we nearly came unstuck a couple of times. We came home in 6th again, but had dropped down to 1.37s.

Race 4 -

This was probably my shittest race of the weekend, I dont know what happend but it was just a comedy of errors, missed gear changes, shit lines, etc. At one point we were going about 932kph into the chicane off the back straight in neutral, I dont know what Steve was thinking but all I could think about was how much of a hiding my wallet was going to take to straighten out his sidecar. How we made it through there, I dont know. Finished in 6th again, doing 1.37's, I was gutted as I knew I could do better.

It was such a cool weekend, and the coolest thing I have ever done in my life, and I am glad and truely grateful I had the chance to do it.

I didnt get out and meet as many people as I had hoped to, as I spent most of my time in the toilets, or nervously sitting in the van, but the people I did meet were awesome.

I have people to thank for making this happen -

Steve and Tracey Bryan, (you can blame them it was their idea) without them this would have never happened. A week ago I didnt even have an MNZ licence etc, but Tracey was onto it and sorted stuff out. Steve supplied the rig and was brave/mental enough to hang off the side off it, and he drove us around, he is the bestest bus driver.

The Scrivener's, (I hope thats how you spell it?) for letting us crash at their house, even though they werent even there.

Neville Mickleson, for not beating me up for stealing his ride.

Jimmy, for letting us know what position we were in, and for keeping it real.

Steve Clarke, for coming down for a laugh, and for keeping me warm in the van on the way home.

And the best for last, Team manager Tina Stirton, for letting me spend all her money, and for keeping me fed and watered. She also touches my doodle so thats pretty cool, without her support I wouldnt even have considered going out, and she was probably excited about the whole thing just as much as I was, she is just the best, thats why I love her so much.

Cheers
    Gordie.
    Last edited by nodrog; 30th April 2012 at 11:08. Reason: Metamucil

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    You should write more of these mate. Highly entertaining

Good onya. Hope you keep at it.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post

Ditto - rather enjoyed that....

Bike
    3 ornaments
    I see you havent been doing any work today gordon.

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Steve and Tracey Bryan, (you can blame them it was their idea) without them this would have never happened.
    I second that, thank you guys so much for a truly unforgettable and life changing experience!

The Scrivener's, (I hope thats how you spell it?) for letting us crash at their house, even though they werent even there.
    Tracey was the one that drowned the fish!

I see many, many more race reports in his future
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    a red heap

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ditto - rather enjoyed that....
    cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by bucket boy View Post
    I see you havent been doing any work today gordon.
    Just because it took you all day to read it, doesnt mean it took me that long to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    Tracey was the one that drowned the fish!
    and did the burnout, I've never seen a Hayabusa go through a wall before.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    I see many, many more race reports in his future
    Ever thought about swinging (not the keys in the bowl type) Stirts?? Although that could be a really good way to break up a good thing haha.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Great write up Gordie. Brought back some old memories and put a smile on my face.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I've got some really poor quality video I shot with my camera I'll post up later of the sidecars. Highlight of my day was swapping BMW's with Kane Veltman and having a ride on a well sorted classic BMW.
    I'll post it up later. Great write up.
    My fave sidecar is the old 55 Triumph and its beardy owner and missus...way cool.

It was only my third ever race meet and I can identify with your pre race nerves and I am not riding a beastie sidecar. My last ride in a sidecar ended badly when my mate who i was training to ride my road BMW/Watsonian GP failed to take the left hander heading North from National Park after a Cold Kiwi and we crossed the centre line, into the ditch...out of the ditch and went bush. He disappeared in the surround bush and I was left in the sidecar wondering WTF had just happened.
    He had gone over the bars and was lying in shrubbery...... looking very sheepish.
    Things could not have got any worse but they did as I ended up pillioning back to Auckland on the back of Ducati Monster, not known as one of the most comfortable pillion bikes ever....

Bike
    motocompo
    Great writeup Gordy & even better riding.
    The other guys were asking me when you had last raced a sidecar, because they had never seen a first time rider go that hard before.
    A mint weekend, the first of many!!

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Ever thought about swinging (not the keys in the bowl type) Stirts?? Although that could be a really good way to break up a good thing haha.
    I am going to Sidecar Have-A-Go-Day next weekend at Taupo. And I shit my undies just thinking about it, but you never know.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I've got some really poor quality video I shot with my camera I'll post up later of the sidecars. ....
    Dont do that, everybody will see that I am lying.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    .....The other guys were asking me when you had last raced a sidecar, because they had never seen a first time rider go that hard before....
    I just made it go forwards bro, you are the one that stopped us getting seriously dead.

I am going to Sidecar Have-A-Go-Day next weekend at Taupo. And I shit my undies just thinking about it, but you never know.
    But who will make the bacon and eggs?

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    But who will make the bacon and eggs?
    you would get great service here

Bike
    A few
    Bwahahaha good shit, ya fuggin nutta !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Good write up man. Funny.

Twas an awesome weekend eh, I was there to race the #499 dominator and my road going vfr. The lack of grip wouldn't have helped you being you first time out.

Any who I jumped on the bright green t120 triumph sidechair, number 20?, riders name was adrien. During the second session of the drivers taking spectators for rides. It was so much fun. I would love to do it again. I am very keen to go back to "have a go day" next weekend as well.

If anyone wants a novice swinger..
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Thread Information