Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter touring, what do people think?

Bike
    The Conscience

Winter touring, what do people think?

So it would seem that lots of riders round here park up their bikes for the winter, I'm thinking of getting out for a few days. What do people think if winter touring? any experiences to share? Thoughts on the subject?
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    So old you won't care
    As long as the weathers good - its brilliant. You just leave a little later to let the ice disappear off the road and don't go as long into the late afternoon. Its best if you have time to sit out the really shitty days though, that's no fun at all, especially if your gear doesn't dry overnight. Good thermals and gear help.

You also get wonderful scenery, snowy mountains etc.

I mean its been great the last few days, fabulous riding weather.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Dress warm, ride sencibley and have heaps of fun.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Keep warm, watch out for ice, that's the big issues for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Just had a guy in the shop on tour with his missus. Having a ball in the Northland sunshine. They went to Cape Reinga yesterday. He is from near Tokaroa I believe.

Do eet!!

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAN View Post
    ... any experiences to share? Thoughts on the subject?
    Winter is no different to summer except for having to dress a little warmer, starting the day a little later and keeping options open. Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ent-on-the-way
    Time to ride

Bike
    A
    Nothing wrong with winter touring, personally I confine my winter riding to daytime only. Black ice is kinda dodgy...

Layer up with thermals and windproof gear, hot grips, balaclava and you're good to go. No 1000 kms a day missions in winter for me though.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAN View Post
    So it would seem that lots of riders round here park up their bikes for the winter,
    . ...who?

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Nothing wrong with winter touring, personally I confine my winter riding to daytime only. Black ice is kinda dodgy...

Layer up with thermals and windproof gear, hot grips, balaclava and you're good to go. No 1000 kms a day missions in winter for me though.
    Ice & fog are no fun but 1,000km in a day can be done: http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/20...anderings.html

It's been a while since we did that run and we wanted to repeat it this year but have probably missed our chance this winter. I love a beautiful, crisp, clear winter's day! It is nice to get home to the fire though...

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    I rode from Whangarei to Russell on Thursday then yesterday the weather was so nice again I rode to Auckland and back to visit clients. Riding on a nice clear winters day is hard to beat .

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    I rode from Whangarei to Russell on Thursday then yesterday the weather was so nice again I rode to Auckland and back to visit clients. Riding on a nice clear winters day is hard to beat .
    I just love to hear Northlanders talk about riding in "Winter" ....

I doubt if many from Whangarei will see tree's looking like this in the north ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alex in winter 008.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	266433  
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    A couple of years ago:

[youtube]csaFtD3amK4[/youtube]

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    nothing wrong with winter riding as mentioned. fuck if I can doo 800km in a day comfortable on an R1 in the middle of winter, you can do it on just about anything,
    take your time, dress warm, and take it extra easy through sections of road that dont see sunshine during the day - a few sections of the road to nelson for example, used to be icy 24/7 through winter.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Ice & fog are no fun but 1,000km in a day can be done: http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/20...anderings.html

It's been a while since we did that run and we wanted to repeat it this year but have probably missed our chance this winter. I love a beautiful, crisp, clear winter's day! It is nice to get home to the fire though...
    Ah yep, 1000 km a day is still easily possible, but nowhere near as much fun as during a nice long warm summer day...

But yeah, crisp clear winter days are magic, as long as I don't encounter black ice

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I really like riding in the rain - even open faced with safety glasses. Gotta be warm and dry though - get a set of yellows to go over your full bike gear plus polypro and just go for it! Heated gear is a real bonus, and can be a safety issue if you're caught out at night or at high altitude.

If you get too cold, get off the bike, leave all your gear on and run up and down a hill until you have a good sweat up!
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Thread Information