Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 166

Thread: Sprawl vs compact development?

  1. #136
    Join Date
    13th March 2003 - 11:47
    Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2004 WR250F, 2006 XR250L
    Location
    Porirua
    Posts
    6,875
    Paul as for water, the Aussies faced a crisis for about 8 years, now just about everyone I know over there has the big collection tank systems in the back yard collecting rain water from the roof - we could do that here too but the situation just hasn't been desperate enough for us to take the sensible option.
    Cheers

    Merv

  2. #137
    Join Date
    6th May 2008 - 13:15
    Bike
    2005 Aprilia RSV
    Location
    Wellllie
    Posts
    1,258
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul as for water, the Aussies faced a crisis for about 8 years, now just about everyone I know over there has the big collection tank systems in the back yard collecting rain water from the roof - we could do that here too but the situation just hasn't been desperate enough for us to take the sensible option.
    They could also put a desalination plant or two on the hills above the populated centres to top off the water source.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

  3. #138
    Join Date
    3rd May 2005 - 10:51
    Bike
    XR200
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Instead of mortgaging yourself up to the eyeballs to be in a house thats more than you need to live in wouldn't it be encouragement enough to live somewhere just big enough and be free of the mortgage?
    Yes there's movement towards this in the USA and other places. Doing more with less. There are some clever designs.


    On the subject of home ownership and the relentless lament that nobody can afford to buy a home:

    65% of New Zealand home owners have no mortgage. Zero. None.

    http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/research/bul...ar72_1kida.pdf

    Right now despite the high prices of our housing, real estate sales have jumped up. People are taking mortgages and buying homes. It will be hard for these families for a while but in the long term they will pay off the mortgage and then be able to help their children.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    12th March 2005 - 23:42
    Bike
    '11 CBR1000RR
    Location
    South East of Nowhere.
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They could also put a desalination plant or two on the hills above the populated centres to top off the water source.
    Pretty energy heavy process isn't it?
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    18th February 2008 - 17:34
    Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Location
    North Shore, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul as for water, the Aussies faced a crisis for about 8 years, now just about everyone I know over there has the big collection tank systems in the back yard collecting rain water from the roof - we could do that here too but the situation just hasn't been desperate enough for us to take the sensible option.
    Ok out in the countryside and outlying subdivisions but not so for centres of bigger population centres. You won't get resource consent in Auckland central (and probably some other city centres) due to concerns about cross contamination of comunal water supplies with air polutants contaminating tank water from dirty roofs.
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    18th February 2008 - 17:34
    Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Location
    North Shore, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty energy heavy process isn't it?
    Not to mention the set up costs
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    18th February 2008 - 17:34
    Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Location
    North Shore, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does work - but the problem is people give up on solving one problem at a time. They EXPECT everything to be solved at once. They EXPECT the impossible - which leaves us with a dozen half-arsed efforts to solve problems.

    Take things on step at a time and you will ease the next solution - but provide a solution that band-aids the problems together and you only have a temporary fix.
    Solving one problem at a time is fine as long as it is viable to do so in isolation, i.e the return doesn't rely on the resolution of other yet to be solved problems that may subsequently be found to only be resolveable using steps which make no or little use of the answers to the earlier resolved problems. Kinda like building foundations to meet a time line for a building completion, then subsequently finding that it is impractical to use some or all of them for the building design above ground because they are in the wrong place or wrong size.

    Or you can take a look at how well the 'one step at a time' philospy works for the IT functions of pretty much any Council and many business's if you want to talk about broken arse band aid solutions. (though they weren't seen as band aids at the time... just solving one problem at a time)

    A better result is usually achieved when the full scope of needs and processes are properly understood and pathway solutions and solution pathways are fully tailored to ensure best economy of efforts and the most efficient and fully effective outcome.
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    18th February 2008 - 17:34
    Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Location
    North Shore, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,075

    What lessons can be learned form the building of new ghost cities

    This is very confusing. Why would they build cities without industries to employ the occupants?

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ely-empty.html
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    3rd May 2005 - 10:51
    Bike
    XR200
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    1,365
    Aw geeze Croc, ain't it obvious? Build it and they will come!






    Well...it worked for Kevin Costner...

  10. #145
    Join Date
    6th May 2008 - 13:15
    Bike
    2005 Aprilia RSV
    Location
    Wellllie
    Posts
    1,258
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty energy heavy process isn't it?
    depends on what you use to power them and how ya build 'em I guess... but if the alternative is water shortage ???

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcrocodile46 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to mention the set up costs
    More than likely... money eh , all the little things it stops us from doing
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

  11. #146
    Join Date
    10th December 2009 - 22:42
    Bike
    an orange one with a flat battery
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    1,688
    ...at some point it will all come together, Trantorian ,habitat related space was somewhat restricted, but Arthur gave us a good picture...from what i remember of the prophetic trilogy, work/industry seemed to be off planet and social mores had become...somewhat lax...more like what it is here, now...shalom...

  12. #147
    Join Date
    18th February 2008 - 17:34
    Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Location
    North Shore, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,075

    This is where your urban intensification development leads

    Is this what Kiwis want? I don't think so. We ain't sardines

    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    6th May 2008 - 13:15
    Bike
    2005 Aprilia RSV
    Location
    Wellllie
    Posts
    1,258
    Blog Entries
    3
    Wireless technology: check
    Body of water: check

    Offices on the water: check... Just add sensible monorail/tram/public transport system. No reason why these things can't be apartment blocks either and as most of our cities are on the shore and we're surrounded by water... No one said we had to use "land".

    T'would free up the city housing/shops etc... As Hellzie says, the infrastructure is already there. The office is the intruder in cities imho.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

  14. #149
    Join Date
    24th July 2006 - 10:53
    Bike
    Buell XB12X
    Location
    Wgtn
    Posts
    4,427
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wireless technology: check
    Body of water: check

    Offices on the water: check... Just add sensible monorail/tram/public transport system. No reason why these things can't be apartment blocks either and as most of our cities are on the shore and we're surrounded by water... No one said we had to use "land".

    T'would free up the city housing/shops etc... As Hellzie says, the infrastructure is already there. The office is the intruder in cities imho.
    Very good. We could export all of the poor people who can’t afford to live in Ponsonby there.

    Leme see, it's within an order of magnitude of the mass of a cruise ship. They cost 'prox US$6000 per gross ton to build, call it an even half a billion US dollars, aaaand as a habitat they service several tens of the clients that structure would. Ah, and a cruise ship isn't even slightly self-sufficient, they import absolutely everything, even the Margaritas.

    Cost of residency on a cruise ship, you ask?

    http://ezinearticles.com/?Smart-Buye...hips&id=721770
    ...sixty seconds' worth of distance run...

  15. #150
    Join Date
    19th July 2007 - 19:05
    Bike
    750 auw
    Location
    Mianus
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny you say that. If you walk up close to country folk they back away say the body language experts while city folk stay close. I was staying at the Crowne Plaza in Auckland a week ago, jump in the lift with my wife and its quite full. It stops at a floor and a whole lot of people are waiting, some stare and think hmm too full, but an Asian family just happily jump on board and squeezed into the spaces.
    Lol I've been in some trains overseas when I'm thinking there's no way in hell anymore people could squeeze on, nek minnit 30 more people. From both sides, as a passenger already in the train, and as someone who wants to get somewhere without havign to wait 4 hours until rush hour is over.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •