Thread: Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 review

Bike
    00 CBR600F4, 03 KTM 250 EXC

Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 review

Bike: 2000 CBR600f
    Tyrres: Pirreli Diablo Rosso2. 180/55/17, 120/70/17
    Kms: 3000
    Type of riding: Motorway commuting, spirited weekend riding. 2 full track days. 1@ Taupo, 1@ Manfield
    Tyre Pressures: Everyday: 42psi rear 40psi Front, Trackday: 32psi front and rear.
    Previous tyres: Dunlop Qualifiers

I know many think sports tyres are a waste of money,it was a hard call on getting sports/touring or sports, but i have always had the intention of using these at track days so i went sports.
    While this is only my second set of tyres on this bike, and i cant remember what tyres i had on my old vfr, i have never ridden on tyres that have given me such confidence and felt so natural. The first thing i noticed was the smooth turn in compared to the qualifiers, and towards the end, the qualifiers got very squared off, and were not the best at turning in.The diablos at 3000kms are still very even all around, and still feel brand new. They are also very good in damp conditions, but i never push it in the wet so cant say for shure, but i can say that the dunlops were much slicker in the wet.
    At the track they offered heaps of grip for an average rider, and felt super sticky when warmed up and on full lean over, trail braking into corners and hard acceleration out felt shure footed all day.Maybe a better rider would have found the limits of these tyres, but i couldnt. I never got the dunlops out on the track, so cant compare them there.

Im pretty shure they are not even close to half worn yet, so i am thinking i may get 8000- 10000 kms on them, and i would be very happy with that. So far, these are the best tyres i have owned. Here are pics at 3000kms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-30 16.40.10.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	381.8 KB 
ID:	262920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-30 16.40.55.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	434.3 KB 
ID:	262921  
    Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which i desire

Bike
    None any more
    Good luck with your distance objectives. I ran a set of these on my GSX1250FA, out of necessity. I was decidedly unimpressed, particularly by their piss poor handling, but also by their lack of wear life.

There are sports touring tyres (indeed most of those) that will out handle and out wear the Rossos.

Once again, good luck. I will be most interested to read your end-of-life report for these.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Good luck with your distance objectives. I ran a set of these on my GSX1250FA, out of necessity. I was decidedly unimpressed, particularly by their piss poor handling, but also by their lack of wear life.

There are sports touring tyres (indeed most of those) that will out handle and out wear the Rossos.

Once again, good luck. I will be most interested to read your end-of-life report for these.
    Well they seem to be working ok on the SV at the mo. Perhaps they didn't suit the extra weight and power delivery of the 1250.

Bike
    Have had these tyres for 6 months now
    Fitted at 65125kms
    Now at 68872
    Traveled 3747 kms
    Tread depth fitted 3.15mm front 4.8mm rear
    Tread depth at WOF check today 2.9mm front, 3.5mm rear

My wof guy (ritchards motorcycles in jville) made comment on how well the rosso 2s were wearing, and very even. It is somthing he says he has noticed with all the rosso2 sets he has sold is they are all wearing very well for sports tyres. Looks like two rears to one front

Maybe my little ol 600 doesnt chew the tyres so bad as a big bike, but im super stoked with these tyres. A lot of my commuting kms are 2up aswell. Have been riding on some of the frosty mornings with no problems with grip. They still turn in just the same as when they were new, smooth and shure footed.
    Last edited by Furyos J; 22nd May 2012 at 17:34. Reason: got my figures wrong

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Furyos J View Post
    Have had these tyres for 6 months now
    Fitted at 65125kms
    Now at 68872
    Traveled 3747 kms
    Tread depth fitted 3.15mm front 4.8mm rear
    Tread depth at WOF check today 2.9mm front, 3.5mm rear

My wof guy (ritchards motorcycles in jville) made comment on how well the rosso 2s were wearing, and very even. It is somthing he says he has noticed with all the rosso2 sets he has sold is they are all wearing very well for sports tyres. Looks like two rears to one front

Maybe my little ol 600 doesnt chew the tyres so bad as a big bike, but im super stoked with these tyres. A lot of my commuting kms are 2up aswell. Have been riding on some of the frosty mornings with no problems with grip. They still turn in just the same as when they were new, smooth and shure footed.
    Nice review yes got same brand on my vfr 750 i do like the grip i need new rear so are they good value price wise too

Bike
    I paid around $550 for the set fitted. So i guess that they arnt that cheap.

Bike
    None any more
    Cheaper than $760 (including fitment) in Gisborne.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    BMW K1600GT 2014

Don't pay to much

Boyd Motorcyles. $495 for a set fitted or shipped. 190/50 & 120/70
    Get mine fitted next week. Will see how fast the K1200S rips them apart and get back to you.
    Cheers

Bike
    2003 Suzuki SV650
    I've got these on my sv650 also, finding them very good so far, nicer feel than the pilot road 2's that were on my old sv. Done approximately 5000k on them so far with juyst the slightest hint of flattening on the rear. Still turns in very nicely and great grip in the wet ( not that there has been much of that lately ). Just my two cents.

Bike
    Nada
    LOL....jebus, my back Rosso2 reartyre's RRP is $489 + fitting
    Ok granted it is a 240/45/17 but I have got nearly 4,500kms out of it and it is time for replacement so quite happy with it's wear rate, considering

Bike
    BMW R1200s
    Fitted a set a couple of months ago on the BMW.
    Done one track day and then mostly commuting since then.

I like them. Good grip, communicative, wearing very well. Hasn't rained much lately but I didn't fall off when it did so they seem pretty good.
    Wet grip seemed better than the BT016's they replaced.

Turn in feels slightly more relaxed than the bridgestones. Ride feels a little smoother, softer sideways I think as I check pressures every week and they are the same as before.

So far on this bike I've had
    Metzler M3
    Pilot Pures
    Conti Sport Attack
    BT016

The Conti's made the bike feel a bit nervous. The Bridgestones were slippery in the wet. The Metlzers I like and had no complaints. The Pures were best in the wet but ran out of grip on the track.
    So the Rosso IIs seem to be top of the pile - till I wear them out at least.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    LOL....jebus, my back Rosso2 reartyre's RRP is $489 + fitting
    Ok granted it is a 240/45/17 but I have got nearly 4,500kms out of it and it is time for replacement so quite happy with it's wear rate, considering
    so how does a ginny125 handle with that tire
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    Nada

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    so how does a ginny125 handle with that tire
    The ahhh 'wee scooter' seems to go just fine with it on thanks

Bike
    Ducatis,Ktms
    760! I'm feeling better and better about my personal record spend of 700 for the super corsa SPV2s !

Thread Information