Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Yamaha srx 600 to big to learn on?

Bike
    n/a

Is a Yamaha srx 600 to big to learn on?

Hey there,

Ok so Ive just moved to Australia and looking to get my learners here. It seems more like america here in that as a learner you can ride silly sized bikes while learning...

Do I want one of those silly sized bikes?

The reason I am looking at the srx 600 is that Im living in Darwin were there isnt a huge selection of bikes, and many of them are over priced... A nice, clean srx 600 has come up for sale.

I like the cafe racer style so am drawn to it but I wonder if its going to be to big to learn on. People obviously do it both here and in the states - but I thought I would ask the thoughts of the kiwi rationally minded riders who start on a 250...

Cheers
    Sam

Bike
    Modified 2014 Bonnie
    Single banger with around 40 odd horse power? Would be a good starter bike imho... good motor. I guess you know how easy it will be to get parts for it where you are.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
    C.S. Lewis

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    That would be a good bike to learn on,
    Parts are easy to get as the engine is the same as the 600 trail bike of the same year.
    They have a good turn of speed, and are fun to ride,
    But they are not a hard out performer, so you will not get into trouble from a hidden "power band"
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    It'll be fine. The peak power is no higher than a 4 cylinder 250 and it doesn't weigh any more than most 250s.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    It would be a sweet unit

So long as you're comfortable balancing the weight of it with your feet on the ground

And I'd also caution that they not exactly new - so I'd want it to be in good condition - especially the brakes
    =mjc=

Bike
    Your mom
    That would be an ideal learner bike. The tame power delivery would probably make it even better for a n00b than a high revving, 4 cylinder 250.

Bike
    TF125
    How big are you?

Bike
    K1300R and DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    How big are you?
    Good question

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsgibb View Post
    Hey there,

Ok so Ive just moved to Australia and looking to get my learners here. It seems more like america here in that as a learner you can ride silly sized bikes while learning...

Do I want one of those silly sized bikes?

The reason I am looking at the srx 600 is that Im living in Darwin were there isnt a huge selection of bikes, and many of them are over priced... A nice, clean srx 600 has come up for sale.

I like the cafe racer style so am drawn to it but I wonder if its going to be to big to learn on. People obviously do it both here and in the states - but I thought I would ask the thoughts of the kiwi rationally minded riders who start on a 250...

Cheers
    Sam
    I owned one. It was my "re-entry" ride after a few years of no bike (I call that "the dark times") due to stupid university, no money, first house DIY bullshit.

I say grab it especially if you are over 5 ft 6 tall. They're fun, light nimble and good handling. Not so much power that you'll get into trouble (from memory ~40hp brand spankers) and theyre quick enough to go on the open road.

They are kick start only, and they can be a bit of a bitch to start: hot is fine (one kick) cold is fine (full choke, two kicks) but if you ride it round town and its kind of warm but not quite it can be a bitch to get going: easy to flood blahdeblah.

the more desirable in my view s the last one with the three spoke cast wheels, single disc and monoshock: but you'll do fine with the twinshock one.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    had a 660 45hp motor, would think its a great bike to learn on if you fit it and are OK with the riding position.... nice low revving thumper, good torque, probably 160kph and a bit top speed, but I would say far easier to ride than most 250's due to the power delivery and torque...

Go for it, if you like it.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Your mom
    How big are you?
    Big enough to keep the ladies happy.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    I'v owned an srx600 here in nz last year eh, they are a fun and easy bike to ride, they vibrate like hell - if your doing open road/highway missions for more than an hour or so you might get numb hands from the vibrations.

The worst bit about them is kick start only, and sometimes if (when) they don't wanna start your gonna get a tired leg eh.

They don't have much power but its useable and easy to access. I'd say its ok for a learner..

Still got enough low down grunt to have fun/get in trouble tho, the back wheel can lock quite easily when changing down gears too vigirously/decelerating. Little things like that but you'll get used to it. Cool bikes I liked mine.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness
    How big are you?

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    small enough to keep the ladies giggling for ages.
    there fixed it for ya
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    n/a
    How big are you?
    6 foot 75 kgs....

Bike
    n/a
    Ok been looking around Darwin for other options.... Theres not a lot

One I did find is this
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cafe-Race...item1e6d15f9eb

$2400 new

Its 600 cheaper and new so not alot to worry about mech wise, also a lot less power so a lot less trouble/fun.

Its chinese, maybe a bit small, and under powered

I still like it though and would be a fun around town crusier.

Thoughts???

Thread Information