Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost a victim of SMMIAJFDAIDKHTUTBILTFGLOMD - not a SMIDSY

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf View Post
    No worries. Will have to laugh about it over a beer someday.
    you defiantly will laugh when I tell you my view.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    1997 Ducati 900 Superlight
    One lesson I have learned is I never move unless I actually see the indicator come on.I have to admit that once or twice people have changed their mind after indicating and carried on straight through or are indicating before a side road even though they intend to pull in AFTER the side road......aa common one here in Auckland.

Bike
    Yermom.
    It's a bit sad when you ride everyday, but, can still count on two hands how many people you have ever seen indicate correctly in these situations.

Bike
    03 VTR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf View Post
    No worries. Will have to laugh about it over a beer someday.
    Get a room would ya

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis2 View Post
    Get a room would ya
    jealous ??
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    I had an interesting experience the other day, a cage was indicating right from the left hand lane on a 2 lane rd, I was next to him in the right lane so slowed down to give him a gap to move into (assuming he wouldn't see me and being the considerate person that I am) he then proceeded to turn left, still indicating right, into a side street and nearly taking out a pedestrian who assumed, since he was indicating right that he would not turn left. Lucky ped was able to dash back before he was run over fortunately.
    I have recently seen a few instances where a car indicates right and turns left, I'm assuming they have their indicators wired wrong because surely nobody with a license would be that stupid?

I always wait until the other vehicle has slowed down or shown some sort of definite intention to do as they are indicating before I will pull out in front of them, may take a bit longer to get where I want to go, but not as long as a detour to hospital.
    Well done for avoiding a crash, but I really don't think you can blame yourself too much for this.
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.
    (Winston Churchill on the French.)

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Had the same thing happen in my cage. Was humming along on the open road, indicate and turn right into a side road while taking right of way against another car coming towards me and turning (and indicating!) the same direction (his left), and the instant after I take the corner I look in the rear vision mirror to see said car flash past behind me at well in excess of the speed limit. What could have been if I was a second slower? Of course this give-way rule has changed now, and frankly I'm enjoying the difference.

So yeah, soz about your fright.
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazman727 View Post
    I had an interesting experience the other day, a cage was indicating right from the left hand lane on a 2 lane rd, I was next to him in the right lane so slowed down to give him a gap to move into (assuming he wouldn't see me and being the considerate person that I am) he then proceeded to turn left, still indicating right, into a side street and nearly taking out a pedestrian who assumed, since he was indicating right that he would not turn left. Lucky ped was able to dash back before he was run over fortunately.
    I have recently seen a few instances where a car indicates right and turns left, I'm assuming they have their indicators wired wrong because surely nobody with a license would be that stupid?

I always wait until the other vehicle has slowed down or shown some sort of definite intention to do as they are indicating before I will pull out in front of them, may take a bit longer to get where I want to go, but not as long as a detour to hospital.
    Well done for avoiding a crash, but I really don't think you can blame yourself too much for this.
    its a very common thing for people who drive euro cars after driving Jap cars (or things like ford focuses (is it ford focii? really?) because the indicator stick is on the LEFT side of the wheel not the right. So numpties get in them and then turn the indicators the wrong way. with the stick on the right you push up to indicate left, push down to indicate right. So they do the same thing with the stick on the left. but "up" is right and down is left.

Or they turn the windscreen wipers on instead of the indicators. Thats always entertaining.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    its a very common thing for people who drive euro cars after driving Jap cars (or things like ford focuses (is it ford focii? really?) because the indicator stick is on the LEFT side of the wheel not the right. So numpties get in them and then turn the indicators the wrong way. with the stick on the right you push up to indicate left, push down to indicate right. So they do the same thing with the stick on the left. but "up" is right and down is left.

Or they turn the windscreen wipers on instead of the indicators. Thats always entertaining.
    My car is Japanese and my mums is Euro. I do have the problem of doing the wiper thing occasionally (not much lately since I drive her car more than mine and cos my bike is my main transport). But I have never done the wrong indicator, it seems obvious, you push the way you are turning. I.E. you move the indicator stalk the way you would move the steering wheel when you are going to turn. If people can't figure that out should they be driving?
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazman727 View Post
    My car is Japanese and my mums is Euro. I do have the problem of doing the wiper thing occasionally (not much lately since I drive her car more than mine and cos my bike is my main transport). But I have never done the wrong indicator, it seems obvious, you push the way you are turning. I.E. you move the indicator stalk the way you would move the steering wheel when you are going to turn. If people can't figure that out should they be driving?
    Agree. But IMO at least half the people driving shouldnt be. Its a long list: anyone over 70. Anyone under 30. Anyone from a list of countries I specify. Anyone with children in the car. Anyone with a pet in the car. Anyone with a stereo in their car. Anyone with more than one person in their car. Anyone with an IQ less than 95.

Do it right, and there'll be just you and me left, bud. and you're far enough away that I shouldnt have to worry about you too much. I'll still be vigilant though.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Agree. But IMO at least half the people driving shouldnt be. Its a long list: anyone over 70. Anyone under 30. Anyone from a list of countries I specify. Anyone with children in the car. Anyone with a pet in the car. Anyone with a stereo in their car. Anyone with more than one person in their car. Anyone with an IQ less than 95.

Do it right, and there'll be just you and me left, bud. and you're far enough away that I shouldnt have to worry about you too much. I'll still be vigilant though.
    Just you, I'm under 30.

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'

Whenever I've driven my mums ford I always stuff that up, stupid indicators on the wrong side, I soon get it right though but it's always that first corner turning the wipers on going around the corner lol

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Thread Information