Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My craptastical GN250 tyres (aka omg lots of tyre questions)

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250 2009

My craptastical GN250 tyres (aka omg lots of tyre questions)

I've been given good advice over the last year or so to change my rubbish stock tyres - and i figure while I'm planning to replace the front one soon, I might as well absorb some tyre information.

1) I can't find my owner's manual for my GN250 (i know stupid ey) so does anyone know what the pressures should be for front and rear tyres? (keepin in mind I got the China GN, which I can't find anymore on the suzuki nz website)

2) When I replace the front tyre, do I want the pressure at what the manual says, or what's on the new wheel, or some sort of deviant child of both?

3) Where's the cheapest and closest place in the city to buy a foot pump, so I can check my pressures at home? (i hear michelin single barrel is pretty good)

Thanks for taking the time out from studying to help! (haha yeah... studying... more like playing spore)

Bike
    MC19
    Can help ya with the best tyre pressure to use, but to check them your best bet is to get a tyre gauge and just use the pump at the nearest garage to pump them up.

Will be cheaper than paying $40 for a single barrel michelin foot pump, and a tyre gauge is a bit more portable.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    28f 32r from memory, you can replace them both for better from cycletreads for maybe a tad over 200, banzai should know the exacts.

Agree with Shaun, save your money and just buy a gauge if you want to check them, use the garage pumps

Bike
    Too many to count
    but beware with garage pumps:

ever since they swapped to the digital ones people have simply been leaving the nozzle in the ground and running over them:slap:

been caught out twice now where the thing was so badly crushed i ended up with significantly less air than what i arrived with

so check them first for excessive damage

Bike
    2004 D-TRACKER, 1997 DT230 LANZA
    25psi front and 29psi rear in the manual so I'm following that one.

I use the pump at the shell station in Beach road and it's pretty accurate.
    (I got pressure checked at Wild West Honda one time and front was Spot on 25 and rear was slightly low so I guess it's not bad for free pump!)

I'd like to get a pressure gauge but spending stuff on petrol/food/drinks etc

If you want to get the tyres done I reccomend Pirelli City demon or Bridgestones or IRC (In this order of preference).

Double check cycletreads before you go in because they say they got the tyre but then when you go in they don't have the product... (They told me they got bridgestone so I was excited to have bridgestones tyres and went into the store but they didn't have it. Instead got Pirelli on front and IRC rear, and so far it's working incredibly well tho. )
    Super Sports Commuter=Super Cub90!!

Land Speed Record holder of stock engine GN250 in NZ 140km/h
    Join The mighty GN250

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR 1000 RR (the "Zulu")
    Quote Originally Posted by BANZAI View Post
    25psi front and 29psi rear in the manual so I'm following that one.

I use the pump at the shell station in Beach road and it's pretty accurate.
    (I got pressure checked at Wild West Honda one time and front was Spot on 25 and rear was slightly low so I guess it's not bad for free pump!)

I'd like to get a pressure gauge but spending stuff on petrol/food/drinks etc

If you want to get the tyres done I reccomend Pirelli City demon or Bridgestones or IRC (In this order of preference).

Double check cycletreads before you go in because they say they got the tyre but then when you go in they don't have the product... (They told me they got bridgestone so I was excited to have bridgestones tyres and went into the store but they didn't have it. Instead got Pirelli on front and IRC rear, and so far it's working incredibly well tho. )
    why is it that everytime i see the smileys in one of yui's posts i actually imagine his face doing the same expression! why does it just fit the image so well? haha.. i think it deserves a bling!

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250 2009
    Thanks guys Helpful as always!

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by BANZAI View Post
    Double check cycletreads before you go in because they say they got the tyre but then when you go in they don't have the product...
    had a similar story with a mate's scooter - they had taken the wheel off and everything then found they didn't have the right size tyre:slap:

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    28psi front, 32psi rear.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by howdamnhard View Post
    28psi front, 32psi rear.
    Where did you guys got that numbers from???

In page 50 of my owner's manual, it says

Solo Riding
    Front 175 kPa, 1.75 kgf/cm2, 25psi

Rear 200 kPa, 2.00 kgf/cm2, 29psi

Dual Riding

Front 175 kPa, 1.75 kgf/cm2, 25psi

Rear 225 kPa, 2.25 kgf/cm2, 33psi

Join The mighty GN250

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim_Invader View Post
    why is it that everytime i see the smileys in one of yui's posts i actually imagine his face doing the same expression! why does it just fit the image so well? haha.. i think it deserves a bling!
    You're such a bling slut zim.

Bike
    THE XS is GONE, long live the across
    Blog Entries
    Banzai, thats for the standard tyres, remember if you change em it will change.

In general, the main thing to remember is the back one should be higher than the front

Bike
    Scorpio
    A manual pump is a handy thing to have around. The tubed tyres on my Scorpio lose pressure pretty quickly and I often find it easier to pump them up at home than to go to a garage.

You should be able to buy a pump for bugger all at the Warehouse, Super Cheap Auto or a bicycle shop. I prefer the traditional type with a handle on the top, fold-out foot thingies on the bottom. A plain old bicycle pump will do the job too. Motorbike tyres are bigger than bicycle tyres, but they run at lower pressure, so pumping them up by hand is not a big deal.

Bike
    Too many to count
    i just use a car/bike battery operated electric pump..
    dunno how much it cost though, but doubt it was much

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Real_Wolf View Post
    Banzai, thats for the standard tyres, remember if you change em it will change.

In general, the main thing to remember is the back one should be higher than the front
    Hmm that means I gotta check with Cycletreads the proper pressure for my current tyre...

Thanks for the info

Join The mighty GN250

Thread Information