Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness Ride 28-29 July 2012

Bike
    2013 CRF250L & 2007 KLR650
    I'm in!! As timing/luck would have it, I'm picking up a 2007 KLR650 Thursday nite. Dealer is putting on a Deathwing 42 on the rear and I've got a almost new T63 for da front. Weather looks like we have a nice window before the next front moves in so all I have to do is not tell my wife I have bought a second motorcycle and I've got the weekend free!!

Bike
    KTM 350 Freeride KTM 690 Enduro R
    Thanks Rosie, Gremlin and Nightfalcon for the help with the GPS.

I have sorted it! It's all working as it should now.

Something to do with the older auto routing maps being stored on the units memory rather than the sd card. I only worked it out after stripping everything off it and adding maps back one by one. Very frustrating that when looking at the map information on the unit it doesn't give any details like date of update.

Now I just have to remember to take lots of spare batteries. The last ride I did in minus 5 meant I was going through batteries in the gps every half hour, they obviously don't like the cold.

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by DR Girl View Post
    One day Loop plans for Hawkes Bay riders are as follows if anyone wants to tag along.

I'm meeting Marty (Night Falcon) at his place at 5.50am in Havelock North. Glad to hear 'Jimbo' is able to join us also Marty
    Then we will ride to BP Connect Bay View(open 24 hrs), arriving there 6.15am. Gas up. Meeting GrantWB there & anyone else who would like to join us, or who is staying over in Hawkes Bay for the night for MMMMM.
    Wade, hear you've been in contact with Marty, great, & Bart/ Pomgolian what are your plans ?. If any other Hv Nth riders want to meet at Marty's, suggest you pm him. Remember to be as quiet as poss when arriving on Sat so we don't wake the kids or neighbours
    We will meet Clint, Rosie & the group at the corner of Pohokura Rd. We will be there by 7.50/8.00 am LOL

On the return, maybe a stop at the nice Cafe 287 just South of Wairoa (3kms on the left past Wairoa), this cafe is open till 4.00pm. . . . then a stop for a hot or cold one at Waikare Pub in Putorino?
    Hi wll PM Marty & meet you guys & gals in Havelock, plan is to do the Saturday ride have a feed & stay Sat night then decide depending on weather my Sunday plans, would like to do the Motu but the forcast for Sat looks good Sun looks shite so might hot tail it home Sun morning. Forcast http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forec...=nz&noofdays=7

Paul

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    I've hardly got anything done, and my list of stuff to do is still quite long...

Don't panic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    DR650
    keep spare batteries in your bra

well it works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Dingledoo View Post
    Now I just have to remember to take lots of spare batteries. The last ride I did in minus 5 meant I was going through batteries in the gps every half hour, they obviously don't like the cold.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    If you are using cheap Alkalines or Rechargeables including the Energisers and Panasonics more than 6 months old I can understand that.
    I have the Garmin MAP62s which has an advertised battery life up to 20 hours (Oregon's I think claim up to 16 hours) and using good batterys even in cold Otago with the backlight on continuously for most the day it goes for at least 14 hours hours with decent batterys, usually more like 16 or 17.
    I now use and recommend the rechargeable Sanyo Eneloops in my GPS's and VIO helmet camera since being introduced to them, they do what the others advertise. They are so good so far that I have thrown out the other brands I had. They wake up and work best after the first 5 or 6 full cycles are complete.
    Dick Smith has a 4 pack for $25 delivered (well in CHCH they do at least).
    If you give them a try let us know what you think... after you've used them for a bit.
    I charge mine in the standard Energiser NiMH charger I already had for my old energisers, not so keen on fast (like 1 hour) chargers. Chargers that stop automatically when done are good.

Neither the Dick Smith Alkaline or the 6 month old Energisers I had would run my VIO camera, where as the Sanyos run it for several hours.
    Good luck.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2013 CRF250L & 2007 KLR650
    Forecast is looking good for sunday as well....frosts saturday morning (standard!)...

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewolf View Post
    keep spare batteries in your bra

well it works for me
    Haha, must be a bit of a 'nippy' moment tho when you first put cold batteries down there?
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    WR250R
    Thanks Rosie, Gremlin and Nightfalcon for the help with the GPS.

I have sorted it! It's all working as it should now.

Something to do with the older auto routing maps being stored on the units memory rather than the sd card. I only worked it out after stripping everything off it and adding maps back one by one. Very frustrating that when looking at the map information on the unit it doesn't give any details like date of update.

I'm glad you got it working
    Batteries can be a pain, sometimes they last forever, sometimes they are constantly going flat. I've got a charger wired into the bike, so at least I don't have to worry about batteries while I am riding. I'm still carrying several sets just in case though.
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    Wot is it with these GPS's at the moment? My Zumo of many years now, which I long ago loaded with NZ free AR, has taken it upon itself( herself actually; shes Karen the Ozzi!) to rearrange some stuff without asking first!
    I was sitting back quite smugly, as I sometimes do, watching the gps issues here knowing that mine is just fine. Switched her on to clean up outdated routes and favs when I notice that on NZFree my home is in the middle of a very large brown space. Nearest road, a major 1 is about 4km by the screen when in reallity there are roads all around. None show on my unit, only the major roads like SH5 etc.
    I download the latest version to my pc onto Mapsource and select it to go to my unit; all the fine detail is visable on Mapsource. Check the new map on Zumo; still the same, only major roads showing!
    Does anyone know wots happened? Should I terminate Karens contract forthwith?

On another note, the recent weather event over the eastern ranges should add some xtra spice to the garvel roads out that way perhaps?
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatijim View Post
    Check the new map on Zumo; still the same, only major roads showing!
    Have you checked the zoom level? As you zoom out further the GPS will show less roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatijim View Post
    Wot is it with these GPS's at the moment? My Zumo of many years now, which I long ago loaded with NZ free AR, has taken it upon itself( herself actually; shes Karen the Ozzi!) to rearrange some stuff without asking first!
    I was sitting back quite smugly, as I sometimes do, watching the gps issues here knowing that mine is just fine. Switched her on to clean up outdated routes and favs when I notice that on NZFree my home is in the middle of a very large brown space. Nearest road, a major 1 is about 4km by the screen when in reallity there are roads all around. None show on my unit, only the major roads like SH5 etc.
    I download the latest version to my pc onto Mapsource and select it to go to my unit; all the fine detail is visable on Mapsource. Check the new map on Zumo; still the same, only major roads showing!
    Does anyone know wots happened? Should I terminate Karens contract forthwith?

On another note, the recent weather event over the eastern ranges should add some xtra spice to the garvel roads out that way perhaps?
    Parikanapa Rd is down to 1 lane according to AA roadwatch (it was possibly only 1.25 lanes wide to start with...). And the Motu is narrow and scary and dangerous and has three river crossings - so business as usual there

As Gremlin said, have you fiddled with the zoom on the Zoomo? My 62s you have to zoom in a fair way to see minor roads. But my GPS is a boy, and yours is a girl, so YMMV
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    ... My 62s you have to zoom in a fair way to see minor roads...
    You can tweak all that stuff on the 62s so much that you can go too far, then you can't tell one road from the next as it can be made to show so much detail when zoomed out it all merges together. I did that then had to wind mine back in a bit.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    KTM 350 Freeride KTM 690 Enduro R
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    I now use and recommend the rechargeable Sanyo Eneloops in my GPS's and VIO helmet camera since being introduced to them, they do what the others advertise. They are so good so far that I have thrown out the other brands I had. They wake up and work best after the first 5 or 6 full cycles are complete.
    Been out and bought some Eneloops (hidden at the very bottom of the display rack in dse - in a sea of energizers). Will be stuffing them in my bra (I'll put a couple in the gps too) along with a couple of chocolate croissants for brekkie at Rangitaiki. Sorted. I might even know where I'm going now.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    My 62s you have to zoom in a fair way to see minor roads. :
    I been from 20KM down to 20M and all options inbetween!

Thread Information