Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness Ride 28-29 July 2012

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    That public access easement from Waipunga to Minginui is only a legal access during daylight hours - is that noted somehow in the open gps maps? I've been through there lots of times at night with no problems but if you are going to broadcast it to the world you need to get the details right.
    Just waiting to see what the mappers put, but it's very low priority in terms of routing etc. Agree with your comments 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure '06
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    Ok. rang them, $30.00 for the night, apparently has a shower somewhere, just a bunk and a mattress, that's all I need.It is going to be warmer than a tent and less stuff to carry. That'll do.

I've been chasing a dry spot on the Saturday night to (todays miserable rain reminded me more about that really wet Sunday on the '10 ride). I might end up in the container to... Cold I can handle, heavy rain is just a pain in the bivvy (reminds me, must buy a small brolly! ).

Rangatik's full but they'll do some floor space for me on the night.

Well, new 21 inch TKC at the front door waiting for me to go out and fit it. New sprockets in hand. Waiting on chain to arrive...

I've screen printed each pages of Clints' course notes & uploaded to my IPOD as jpgs. Not quite as good as SatNav but it'll work for me (with country roads book as backup).

A side note / forethought:

Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    That public access easement from Waipunga to Minginui is only a legal access during daylight hours - is that noted somehow in the open gps maps? I've been through there lots of times at night with no problems but if you are going to broadcast it to the world you need to get the details right.

Cheers
    Clint

Broadcast it and end up with more tourists up there, then road upgrades because they get stuck, then more road upgrades because they want to take airconditioned coaches and articulated camper RVs there, then eventually we've got ourselves another straight sealed road with double yellow lines 90% of the way... (or riding in the dust of more campervans or finding them coming around every second corner on the wrong side...) Is that what we want (of our playgrounds in general)?

Joni Mitchell sang of things along this line in 1970 & it still applies, "They paved paradise to put up a parking lot". (Ref: "Big Yellow Taxi" in Ladies of the Canyon or in Miles of Aisles (Live)). That's on my IPOD to now .

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Horney1 View Post
    Broadcast it and end up with more tourists up there, then road upgrades because they get stuck, then more road upgrades because they want to take airconditioned coaches and articulated camper RVs there, then eventually we've got ourselves another straight sealed road with double yellow lines 90% of the way...
    It's a public access easement over forestry roads, maintenance is entirely on the whim of the forestry company, eg the route around the washed out crossing remained a rough 4x4 track for over a year. What I'd be worried about is if the track gets lots more use inevitably there will be issues & Kaingaroa Timberlands will be looking for ways to restrict access. Already public access to the Kaingaroa estate has been severly curtailed compared with in the past.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Been watching this with interest, we have similiar problems in the Naki .
    A bunch of recent visitors to the province were given half true information about "paper roads" etc. I believe they are now planning rides etc that will only end with access to these areas being shut off completly forever.
    Totally agree Clint, some people need to research things better before they make avaliable or use information.
    Ok enough thread hijack :
    MMMM, hmmmm, tossing up between the Beemer on dual sports with heated grips, comfy seat, and warm toes
    Or some harden the f up pills and a blue bike

Bike
    94 & 98 BMW GS1100
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    MMMM, hmmmm, tossing up between the Beemer on dual sports with heated grips, comfy seat, and warm toes
    Or some harden the f up pills and a blue bike
    I think you should choose the later of course. Warm hands and cosy sounds way to soft.

GSers

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    The bigger bike will be a better bet for those roads. The wee Yamaha would be better if there was more hardcore stuff
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Clint, do you have any idea what time you will be stopping at lake Waikeri? Am thinking I might do a day trip, meet up at the lake continue to Tiniroto/Ruakitura road intersection then head home. Have planed a cool route on the GPS incorperating some of yours in two sections: Havelock to Waikeri (194 klm 3.28 hrs) via some backroads and Waikeri to Havelock highway (255klm 3.47hrs). Long day in the saddle but fun! That is if the weather is ok of course, Im not too fussed on frezzing the little man hood I have left off
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Clint, do you have any idea what time you will be stopping at lake Waikeri? Am thinking I might do a day trip, meet up at the lake continue to Tiniroto/Ruakitura road intersection then head home. Have planed a cool route on the GPS incorperating some of yours in two sections: Havelock to Waikeri (194 klm 3.28 hrs) via some backroads and Waikeri to Havelock highway (255klm 3.47hrs). Long day in the saddle but fun! That is if the weather is ok of course, Im not too fussed on frezzing the little man hood I have left off
    Everybody will be doing their own pace on the routesheet from Minginui, I'd estimate the pack will be trickling through from 10am to 11am. Don't eat all the pies before we get there

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
    The bigger bike will be a better bet for those roads. The wee Yamaha would be better if there was more hardcore stuff
    Funny you should say that. I've heard rumors of a challenge section this year
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Funny you should say that. I've heard rumors of a challenge section this year
    There is a little optional section just before Minginui that, weather & time permitting, I may lead those with lighter bikes, decent knobs & the desire to help push the 640 up a couple of slippery bits through. It's only a couple of km though so I wouldn't base bike & tyre selection on that too much.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Some others may be doing a Napier to Napier loop, around Waikerimoana, on the Saturday also.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Some others may be doing a Napier to Napier loop, around Waikerimoana, on the Saturday also.
    Sent a pm to Marty this morning after reading his post re the one day loop.
    Are you joining in again this year Bart ?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DR Girl View Post
    Sent a pm to Marty this morning after reading his post re the one day loop.
    Are you joining in again this year Bart ?
    Yep........

Barts Photos

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker

Riders coming up from the South

I was under the impression that Marty was going to ride up to Lake Waikaremoana, so wasn't looking to do the loop?

I am going to ride up to Napier Friday (got the day off), & will overnight there. I'll ride up to Rangitaikei early Saturday morning.

The ride thru the Forestry & down to Lake Waikaremoana are core parts of the ride to me. That & the Motu on Sunday.

I will be doing Sunday ride thru the Motu to Opotiki, then intend to ride back through the Motu, Whakerau Rd, then back to Napier. Home Monday.

Any Southern riders that want to hook up for the ride up, or back, please let me know.
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
    Any Southern riders that want to hook up for the ride up, or back, please let me know.
    That's sorta what I had planned (and what I've done the last 2 years). There's a couple of roads I'd like to explore on the way home also (if time/fuel allow).

Barts Photos

Thread Information