Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Queen's Birthday Ride - Canterbury

Bike
    DRZ400E

2013 Queen's Birthday Ride - Canterbury

Some sections of the route still require me to finalise landowners’ permission however the route is planned and I will follow up with the finer details before the end of the month.

The ride will be over three days, all three days will offer a variety of riding but if you just wanted to do the Saturday and Sunday riding with an overnighter staying at a High Country hut this would work out well. The hut lined up for Saturday night is in a magic spot right up the headwaters of a High Country valley with a fantastic four-wheel-drive track in and out.

There are some river crossings involved however these are limited and to ensure there are no hold-ups with drowned bikes we will probably work as a team to get the bikes across. General riding terrain will be tarmac/gravel/4x4 tracks/riverbed work.

The terrain is not considered extreme however this is not a ride intended for newbies, you'll need to have a reasonable rider skill level, protective gear, toolkit, all the normal jazz and of course a reliable bike. I wouldn't call it big bike friendly however if you are a competent big bike rider and looking to work up a bit of a sweat, feel free to come along, just be aware I charge beer to push you out when you’re stuck!

Although the plan is to stay at DOC huts on both Saturday and Sunday night you'll need to bring sleeping gear in case:
    a) the huts are full (doubtful as there are a few options nearby)
    b) ship happens, we don't make it to the intended destination and need to set up camp somewhere

This is not a seamless organised ride, this is simply me heading out on the bike investigating some sections of an upcoming ride I am putting together so if you want to come along and check out some fantastic scenery on some fantastic terrain then feel free to bring your bike and sense of humour along.

If you're keen to join in, please post or PM me as this is not a “show up and ride” event, I will need to know numbers and know who is coming.

There will be a small cost to pay some station owners for access, I'll come back with the final amount however it won't break the bank

I'm just planting the seed for now to give people enough chance to plan, I'll follow up with more information, fuel stop distances, etc as it comes to hand…

Note: this ride is very weather/river flow dependent, if rivers are up it will render a majority of the route impassable.

Note: limited to max 10 riders

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Here are some pics of sections of the route:

Bike
    DRZ400E

Bike
    07 ktm se950

se950

im keen 99% cheers

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by SE950 View Post
    im keen 99% cheers
    7 riders in - 3 spots left...

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    7 riders in - 3 spots left...
    Hey Josh,
    SE950 is Ian who I pm'd you about so think that makes 4spots left???
    I have managed to get Saturday off now with a shift swap so I'm a starter for the whole weekend, yeehaa
    Cheers Matt
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdakar View Post
    Hey Josh,
    SE950 is Ian who I pm'd you about so think that makes 4spots left???
    I have managed to get Saturday off now with a shift swap so I'm a starter for the whole weekend, yeehaa
    Cheers Matt
    All good, so 4 spots left.

Great news on getting the Saturday off, now its just a case of crossing fingers for good weather and we'll be laughing

Bike
    DRZ400E

Bike
    DRZ400E

Bike
    07 ktm se950

se950

hi josh i have a friend whos keen, is there any spacers left, also r u fishing at night

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by SE950 View Post
    hi josh i have a friend whos keen, is there any spacers left, also r u fishing at night
    Giday mate, one of my other buddies is coming along so your mate makes it 10 so that's all locked in and all good to go.

With fishing season finished up until October I won't have my fishing gear with me, there are a couple of places we will pass by that are open all season but guessing we will be keeping the pace up to combat the short winter daylight hours.

I am having a mongrel of a time pinning down land/station owners, due to this the route may be slightly altered and we may be camping up near a river or lake that is open for fishing, I'll keep you posted

Cheers

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Route update:

Max leg is approx 280km. Some of the terrain on that leg will be slow and tough going. Please PM me if you are unable to make the fuel range

Snow down to 700 through the divide. We will be at altitudes of around 950

I'll follow up by Tuesday night with the final route plan, final range for each leg, items to bring, cautions/safety issues, etc

Bike
    DRZ400E
    PM's sent, route is looking bloody brilliant...

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Hey Josh,
    Ian's mate Tim has had to pull out, has some health issues that have apparently flared up
    Rgds Matt

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Snow not looking too bad at all at Tekapo, thought it may have been thicker on the ground

http://www.tekapotourism.co.nz/webcam.htm

Thread Information